New Jersey Devils fan club

DinoCosta

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early days, the infancy, the genesis if you will, of Devils hockey (actually it was year 2), I joined the 'official' Devils fan club.

The President at the time was an "Ed" somebody or other...I used to receive like a brochure of some kind in the mail every so often with Devils news and stuff...stuff? Did he say, stuff?

Anyhow does anyone know if this club is still around, if so where do I re-join, and if you're a member, what do ya get...if anything?

-dc

I use to be a memeber for years but haven't done it since 2006. The trips are good but thats about all they really offered me. If youc an go to the meetings, sometimes they have guest speakers but I never went. I only went on a Washington trip and Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies trip both of which were very fun. The big thing for me was when they got rid of the dinner with the Devils for Fan Club members. That was so much fun.

Bob Williams was my favorite President, he ruled! I am biased cause he sits with me and my friends since 88'.

I was a member years ago, It was nice to get some stuff in the mail every now and then in the pre-internet days when I was living in Hershey/Harrisburg/Emmaus/York and couldn't see/watch Devils games accept for the odd nationally televised game.

Jamie and I are members and we are going on the DC trip on Saturday. They are somewhat disorganized. They've lost every piece of paper that I've signed and given to them haha but they have been good with the money.

Excited for the trip!

So you feel it's worth it to become a member?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early days, the infancy, the genesis if you will, of Devils hockey (actually it was year 2), I joined the 'official' Devils fan club.

The President at the time was an "Ed" somebody or other...I used to receive like a brochure of some kind in the mail every so often with Devils news and stuff...stuff? Did he say, stuff?

Anyhow does anyone know if this club is still around, if so where do I re-join, and if you're a member, what do ya get...if anything?

-dc

Hey Dino, yeah the Devils FC is still around, but unfortunately Ed passed away a few years ago maybe longer. He was a great guy and loyal fan. Like what OfficialDL said there is a Devils FC table on the main concourse right outside the Fire lounge/bar. When you get to the table ask for Trudy as she took over for Ed in the Devils FC.

The Fan Club is worth the $20 fee for the September meeting with Lou alone. Doc, Chico, Dano, and a current and former player or two are also guest speakers every year. I think it's kind of going through a transition period though, as some of the old codgers are fading away but being replaced by nobody. It definitely needs some new blood and energy. In the late 90s and earlier part of this decade they had up to 1400 members.

The trips are great. They're going to Montreal for two nights this year and sitting in a luxury suite with everything included. You get the hotel, transportation and game ticket and the price isn't bad at all. You're free to do whatever you want outside of the game.

Edited by skeeter

The Fan Club is worth the $20 fee for the September meeting with Lou alone. Doc, Chico, Dano, and a current and former player or two are also guest speakers every year. I think it's kind of going through a transition period though, as some of the old codgers are fading away but being replaced by nobody. It definitely needs some new blood and energy. In the late 90s and earlier part of this decade they had up to 1400 members.

The trips are great. They're going to Montreal for two nights this year and sitting in a luxury suite with everything included. You get the hotel, transportation and game ticket and the price isn't bad at all. You're free to do whatever you want outside of the game.

this

Thanks for all the responses...I'm sorry to hear that the original President has passed on...don't know why they have eliminated the dinner, that could be a huge inducement for someone to join...do they advertise the fan club within the game programs?

Watching first period of Avs-Ducks...getting set to watch Canucks-Predators.

FYI...I had Bill Clement on my radio show this morning...this week only for those who care (?) I'm doing the morning show on Mad Dog Radio...6-10A EST, Sirius 123 - XM 144.

P.S. I miss the Utica Devils.

P.S.S I miss the Witchita Wind too.

Edited by DinoCosta

I seem to remember not the fan club eliminating the dinner, but Lou put an end to it.

No kidding?

Well if Lou put an end to it, I'm positive there was a very good reason...it is Lou after all!

In LOU we all trust, right?

By the way, please feel free to join The Dino Costa Facebook page, as well as The Dino Costa Show group page on Facebook.

Shameless self promotion at the grass roots level for sure...but seriously would love to get to know a lot of you guys...and gals.

Kindest regards,

-dc

I remember the fan club (of which I was a member of back in the late 80's and early-mid 90's) used to do the charity softball game at Breslin Stadium in Lyndhurst back in the day- man those were fun! It used to be the fan club softball team against the Devils- a lot of the players used to participate. Johnny Mac, Dano, Marty, Jason Smith, Corey Schawb, Jaroslav Modry, Rolston, Billy Guerin, among others- I have a hat signed by all those guys from one of the games I attended. I used to go every year- I wish they still did that. Those were some great times!

No kidding?

Well if Lou put an end to it, I'm positive there was a very good reason...it is Lou after all!

I never followed the situation too closely, so someone set the story straight if they know anything, but I went to one of the last dinners around 2001 or '02, and I left the dinner about the same time as the players, only to discover a bunch of them standing around in a group in the parking lot and Lou talking very angrily to someone about one or more of the players' vehicles being damaged (hit? broken into? not sure). I was a little ways away and I didn't want to hang around too long because I didn't want to be nosy and get chased away, so I don't have a lot of details, but basically, Lou was PISSED that someone had apparently dropped the ball on something, and it had affected his players. Maybe whatever this mystery parking lot incident was impacted the decision to scrap the dinners.

Again, sorry for the vagueness of this. Can anyone here fill in the blanks?

I remember the fan club (of which I was a member of back in the late 80's and early-mid 90's) used to do the charity softball game at Breslin Stadium in Lyndhurst back in the day- man those were fun! It used to be the fan club softball team against the Devils- a lot of the players used to participate. Johnny Mac, Dano, Marty, Jason Smith, Corey Schawb, Jaroslav Modry, Rolston, Billy Guerin, among others- I have a hat signed by all those guys from one of the games I attended. I used to go every year- I wish they still did that. Those were some great times!

Shouldn't a hockey fan club have a hockey team and not a softball team?? ;)

Edited by gionta182

I never followed the situation too closely, so someone set the story straight if they know anything, but I went to one of the last dinners around 2001 or '02, and I left the dinner about the same time as the players, only to discover a bunch of them standing around in a group in the parking lot and Lou talking very angrily to someone about one or more of the players' vehicles being damaged (hit? broken into? not sure). I was a little ways away and I didn't want to hang around too long because I didn't want to be nosy and get chased away, so I don't have a lot of details, but basically, Lou was PISSED that someone had apparently dropped the ball on something, and it had affected his players. Maybe whatever this mystery parking lot incident was impacted the decision to scrap the dinners.

Again, sorry for the vagueness of this. Can anyone here fill in the blanks?

I didn't mention it in my post above but this from hearsay and fading memory: At the Dinner the players would leave a half hour to 45 minutes before the dinner actually ended. I think a few fans went out at the same time and started pestering them for autographs even though there was an hour signing period before the actual dinner. Lou doesn't like anything adversely affecting his players thus no more fan club dinner.

I went to two of those Fan Club dinners and they were the tits. Had Petr Sykora at my table one year and Chris Terreri the other. To this day, I still love to re-tell the one story Terreri had:

So apparently the guys love going to Yankees games in the offseason. At one particular game, Terreri and Bobby Holik have seats up in the nosebleeds, and this little kid in the row in front of them keeps tugging on his father's shirt, saying, "Daddy, Daddy, that's Bobby Holik!" To which the father replied, "Son, if Bobby Holik was at a Yankee game, you better believe he'd have better seats than these." :lol:

Sykora also said he was sitting about three rows behind Jeffrey Maier when he made that infamous catch.