Gulitti: Devils STILL a Mickey Mouse Organization

HellOnICE

...the most entertaining part of the night was when some fans in the lower level made the rink boys skate back and forth at least 5 times collecting hats. Harmless frustration. Now, when that idiot threw the soda bottle on the ice...that was too far. But as far as I'm concerned, throwing hats on the ice was hilarious.

...It's NEVER proper behavior to throw anything on the ice for any reason. OK, hats during Hat tricks being a tradition aside, but that's really about it and as far as it should go. Throwing items on the ice is dangerous and uncalled for. For him [TG] to condone this behavior on any level shows me what he knows about the game and respect for it.

If someone has a problem with the way something is handled then either go to guest services or stop buying tickets to games.

There is no situation that can't be handled with class, even if you feel like you are getting the short end.

Edited by mcmorrowk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are skate guards. We work on the ice to make the game more enjoyable for the fans. We really don't appreciate that type of behavior. If someone has a problem with the way something is handled then either go to guest services or stop buying tickets to games.

There is no situation that can't be handled with class, even if you feel like you are getting the short end.

Well of course you don't appreciate that type of behavior, you're the dudes who gotta go back and forth. It doesn't mean it's not funny for everyone else. :evil:

edit: Obviously I don't condone it,and would never throw anything on the ice save for a hattrick, but it's still funny.

Edited by HellOnICE

Well of course you don't appreciate that type of behavior, you're the dudes who gotta go back and forth. It doesn't mean it's not funny for everyone else. :evil:

edit: Obviously I don't condone it,and would never throw anything on the ice save for a hattrick, but it's still funny.

After nearly two hours of waiting, it was a fairly harmless way for the fans to keep themselves entertained. If the crowd didn't take the laid-back attitude that it did for the most part, this could have been way worse than a few hats being thrown on the ice.

JKr is right. The Devils are in a completely different position than most teams who draw well. Many things have to go right,a nd the Devils have begun to do somethings right but still many many many things wrong.

TG had a great point today...even as the Devils give a free ticket (the thing they needed to do) they left EVERYONE in the dark about parking. They never mentioned it to anyone, and it was TG who had to pry the info from the team. Since they didn't mention it las tnight on the telecast, I bet there were people who still don't know that parking is taken care of if you parked last game, or its cheap if you took the train and want to drive instead.

i really feel like complaints about this situation are by and large, ridiculous. i understand as a business there's a right and a wrong way to do things, but i don't think enough people are appreciating just how difficult it is to schedule an NHL game where none existed, with a day of notice.

i really feel like complaints about this situation are by and large, ridiculous. i understand as a business there's a right and a wrong way to do things, but i don't think enough people are appreciating just how difficult it is to schedule an NHL game where none existed, with a day of notice.

Sorry, Tri. Completely disagree. The problem is they need to have a few arms coming from Lou's office to deal with this situation.

It alwasy seems like it EVERYTHING has to go through Lou, which is inefficient.

Parking/Ticketing is a TOP priority in this situation. It should have been taken care of. It's not that difficult. They had almost a full day to get that parking information on MSG/Devils.com and they couldn't do it...in fact, THERE'S STILL NO information about parking on the web site.

That's ridiculous.

Hmmm...I kind of feel like the argument was a good one, but it just went off on a tangent. Sure it was BS leaving fans "in the dark" that night. I don't really get attacking mascot videos or playing distorted bass-y music. Come on!! What the hell are they supposed to do?! I've only been to games in NJ, NY, and Philly and I can't really say the in-game experience is much different from arena to arena.

As for off the ice marketing, sure, it's lacking, but it seems like since the move to Newark, there has been a mild improvement in that area. You can't compare an organization that is for the most part, suburban, with no major city or media center behind it to other NHL cities. I think they have been holding their own as best they can.

Their idea of entertaining the fans during intermissions and stoppages in play is to blast music—with sufficient base to distort it – or the mostly unimaginative videos with the mascot.

That could probably be said for every arena/stadium today. When we first went to games at MSG, the organ was used more and was always cool. Now, it's just loud music all the time and little else. Yes. The Devils mishandled Light Gate. But isn't the league also to blame? They lack leadership and it starts at the top.

Their inarena presentation is not horrible, but it's no great shakes either. The whole thing needs a facelift. I don't want this thread turning into a idea for what needs to be done thread, but I can't sleep. Here are some ideas.

1. Stop playing organ music all the time before the game/intermissions. If it's organ music, make it sound like a real organ, not a terrible keyboard. And cut the SHOWTUNES as we cut down to the game time. I mean THIS IS HOCKEY...

2. Cut the Devils Dancers/Little NJ. I'm sorry, but with ticket prices so ridiculously high - don't piss it away on this crap. That's thousands of dollars pissed away. I'd rather have Cameron than The Devils Dancers. YECH, this isn't basketball. We have NJ Devil. That's it.

3. If the Devils want to do a tshirt thing...fine. But I swear, if I have to hear Kevin Clark yell "CMON MAKES SOME NOISE" "WHO WANTS A TSHIRT" - like it's Jack Nicholson throwing out money in Batman. It's loud and obnoxious.

4. Cut the amount of horrible mascot-inserted-into-movies. None of them work.I don't need to see NJ scaring people. In fact, the only one I like is Godzilla happy-and you know it clap your hands. Could be the most retarded thing I've ever seen, but I like it.

5. Do I really need a 60 second clip of America's Funniest Home Videos on a commericial break...I MEAN SERIOUSLY

6. Better music/obviously. Not so loud.

7. I don't mind the zamboni races/trivia, kiss-cam, stuff like that.

I could do more. But they need to keep it simpler. We're there for hockey, and fans aren't as dumb as they think.

Oh yea I was in Buffalo last week and went to a game.

Two things I liked:

1. They showed the WJC finale before warmups. I've said this before. For those of us who've been there early, show a classic game.

2. For every shift on the scoreboard, off the faceoff/on the fly, they would throw a quick graphic up showing who's on the ice. It's interesting. A lot of work, I assume.

Edited by HellOnICE

i'm a natural skeptic and i rarely have good ideas of my own. that's just a preamble to say that i'm not trashing your ideas HOI, but i think you're missing the major capitalist principle.

Their inarena presentation is not horrible, but it's no great shakes either. The whole thing needs a facelift. I don't want this thread turning into a idea for what needs to be done thread, but I can't sleep. Here are some ideas.

1. Stop playing organ music all the time before the game/intermissions. If it's organ music, make it sound like a real organ, not a terrible keyboard. And cut the SHOWTUNES as we cut down to the game time. I mean THIS IS HOCKEY...

yeah this is fair.

2. Cut the Devils Dancers/Little NJ. I'm sorry, but with ticket prices so ridiculously high - don't piss it away on this crap. That's thousands of dollars pissed away. I'd rather have Cameron than The Devils Dancers. YECH, this isn't basketball. We have NJ Devil. That's it.

while i am not a fan of this stuff either, it's pervasive. every NFL team has cheerleaders but the giants. there's also no correlation between your ticket prices and the cost of the devils' dancers.

3. If the Devils want to do a tshirt thing...fine. But I swear, if I have to hear Kevin Clark yell "CMON MAKES SOME NOISE" "WHO WANTS A TSHIRT" - like it's Jack Nicholson throwing out money in Batman. It's loud and obnoxious.

the t-shirt giveaway is the most popular event at a devils game behind a goal being scored (and i think the two are close). the devils shouldn't touch this, getting rid of it or any aspect of it would be moronic.

4. Cut the amount of horrible mascot-inserted-into-movies. None of them work.I don't need to see NJ scaring people. In fact, the only one I like is Godzilla happy-and you know it clap your hands. Could be the most retarded thing I've ever seen, but I like it.

5. Do I really need a 60 second clip of America's Funniest Home Videos on a commericial break...I MEAN SERIOUSLY

6. Better music/obviously. Not so loud.

7. I don't mind the zamboni races/trivia, kiss-cam, stuff like that.

all fair. better music i think is kind of impossible, sports music is real tough thing to get right, nor do i think many acts produce sports music. the average age of a song played at the rock is probably 10-15 years old.

I could do more. But they need to keep it simpler. We're there for hockey, and fans aren't as dumb as they think.

this i doubt, and again, you're not their audience. you're going to buy the ticket anyway, they have you. the devils don't sell out, and they haven't sold out since their arrival in new jersey. so their goal must always be to attract new fans. plus there's always a ton of children in the building, always have been at devils games. they're always looking after new fans; they could do a lot of things better, but somewhere like buffalo that sells out every night has totally different priorities.

1. They showed the WJC finale before warmups. I've said this before. For those of us who've been there early, show a classic game.

this really sounds like a rangers move, honestly. it's a good idea, but for a team already having 3 cup celebrations this year, do they really need more reveling in the past?

Edited by Triumph

let's supposed the strippers posing as dancers make $75 a game, for 4 hours work, that might even be a little high. how many of them are there, 10?

$750 a date = $30,750... this would bring down the average ticket price what, a couple of dollars? sh!t, compared to Cameron's supposed going rate, they're a bargain.

let's supposed the strippers posing as dancers make $75 a game, for 4 hours work, that might even be a little high. how many of them are there, 10?

$750 a date = $30,750... this would bring down the average ticket price what, a couple of dollars? sh!t, compared to Cameron's supposed going rate, they're a bargain.

Say average attendance is 15,000 to make the math easy....for 41 home games....615,000 total tickets...going with your calculation $30,750/650,000 tickets is a whopping .047 cents per ticket! For under a nickel, I say KEEP THE DEVILS DANCERS. Besides, as someone else pointed out there is no correlation between the dancers and the price of tickets.

i'm a natural skeptic and i rarely have good ideas of my own. that's just a preamble to say that i'm not trashing your ideas HOI, but i think you're missing the major capitalist principle.

yeah this is fair.

while i am not a fan of this stuff either, it's pervasive. every NFL team has cheerleaders but the giants. there's also no correlation between your ticket prices and the cost of the devils' dancers.

Of course not, that's not my point. My point is the money they piss away on this kind of stuff. It won't affect my ticket price one bit either way, but I do shake my head. It just seems not needed.

the t-shirt giveaway is the most popular event at a devils game behind a goal being scored (and i think the two are close). the devils shouldn't touch this, getting rid of it or any aspect of it would be moronic.

I never said get rid of the shirt toss. I don't mind it. Keep the tshirt toss - but I don't need Kevin Clark yelling and screaming during it to where my ears cringe.

this i doubt, and again, you're not their audience. you're going to buy the ticket anyway, they have you. the devils don't sell out, and they haven't sold out since their arrival in new jersey. so their goal must always be to attract new fans. plus there's always a ton of children in the building, always have been at devils games. they're always looking after new fans; they could do a lot of things better, but somewhere like buffalo that sells out every night has totally different priorities.

So they need the dancers, american videos, horrible mascot videos for the casual fans? Because when they think of going they say "But they have those great american funniest videos."

this really sounds like a rangers move, honestly. it's a good idea, but for a team already having 3 cup celebrations this year, do they really need more reveling in the past?

Than we must be thinking about different things. I'm saying if the Devils play Boston, than maybe show a classic matchup from the many many games the Devils have played Boston and make it into a Devils-in-60 (doors open at 5:30 and ends in time for warmups at 6:30). This has nothing to do with a celebration. They don't have to show playoff games, show a game from a random Tuesday game against Boston from the '86 season.

Edited by HellOnICE

Of course not, that's not my point. My point is the money they piss away on this kind of stuff. It won't affect my ticket price one bit either way, but I do shake my head.

Keep the tshirt toss - but I don't need Kevin Clark yelling and screaming during it.

So they need the dancers, american videos, horrible mascot videos for the casual fans? Because when they think of going they say "But they have those great american funniest videos."

Than we must be thinking about different things. I'm saying if the Devils play Boston, than maybe show a class matchup from the many many games the Devils have played Boston and make it into a Devils-in-60 (doors open at 5:30 and ends in time for warmups at 6:30). This has nothing to do with a celebration. They don't have to show playoff games, show a game from a random Tuesday game against Boston from the '86 season.

I think people would rather watch mascot videos than a recap of a 1986 game between the Devils and the Bruins. hell, I think *I'd* rather watch a mascot video. anyways, if you get there before warmups, I'd say maybe 15% of the crowd has arrived... most of the people are going to head off to a bar or get something to eat, or have club seats and will not see the light of day until the puck drops... they're not going to sit and watch a video. tri's right to a point, you're sorta marketing to yourself.

Say average attendance is 15,000 to make the math easy....for 41 home games....615,000 total tickets...going with your calculation $30,750/650,000 tickets is a whopping .047 cents per ticket! For under a nickel, I say KEEP THE DEVILS DANCERS. Besides, as someone else pointed out there is no correlation between the dancers and the price of tickets.

lol, yeah, I had a pretty brutal math error there, it would cost us a couple of dollars each of they were making $30K a *game*.

wow this is great...i don't have time right now but tomorrow i'm going to read through this thread in it's entirety.

i think TG is a very stand up guy so for him to be this pissed means there has to be some considerable meat to his argument.

Sometimes I wonder guys.

Some of you have been game-goers for years and years going back.

Not to mention, we've sent a letter to the marketing department with a laundry list like this for 2 years straight since the move to the Rock.

What I don't get is this:

Seriouslly, Do some people think Lou, Jeff & Co. are marketing directly to you???? Clearly they have a different plan in the works. For every person that likes the above suggestions, they're might be 2 who don't - who knows?

Like Tri said they have YOU already. Its obvious the "game experience frills" are being marketed to a wide audience.... not the folks on Devils message boards.

1. The mascot and his antics are there for the kids not for the college kids and up. Its a family-friendly device designed to add to the family experience so they can sell 4 tickets instead of 2. Most likely its marketed to families w/$$$... as are more major league sports events in general these days.

2. The dancers are eye-candy for the guys, and fun for the kids - not to mention a promotional tool for outside the arena. Is it really that hard to look away from them up on the concourse during the game if you don't like watching attractive women in outfits?

3. I think the video content is par for the course in arena experiences .... I'm not sure what people are expecting with this.

4. With 3-4 potential American Olympians on the current team, and the recent interest the WJC brings to the US and US hockey - its a great idea to do this for the crowd.

5. The organ music is the music. Big Deal. I doubt the 99.9% of people can tell the difference between organs, B3 or otherwise. Real organs are expensive and extremely difficult and expensive to maintain .

Like Tri mentioned they don't care about the people that are already die-hards, they're not targeting broke college kids for their "bread and butter" they are out for bigger fish companies, young professionals and their families, and people with $$$ to spend in general. Sure they need every $ on a ticket from everyone, but it seems that thats their target marketing audience.

Edited by DevilinLA

I think people would rather watch mascot videos than a recap of a 1986 game between the Devils and the Bruins. hell, I think *I'd* rather watch a mascot video. anyways, if you get there before warmups, I'd say maybe 15% of the crowd has arrived... most of the people are going to head off to a bar or get something to eat, or have club seats and will not see the light of day until the puck drops... they're not going to sit and watch a video. tri's right to a point, you're sorta marketing to yourself.

So for the people that are there before warmups, it'd be a nice touch. That's all I'm saying. And some of the hardcores that get there early, would sit and watch it. It's a no harm/no foul. Kind of thing. It takes very little time to edit those things down. It's a nice touch, maybe they make a reason for people to get there early and buy an extra beer or two. Show something. Anything. A feature on a player, year, old videos, anything.

God forbid, they market and try to keep happy the people they do have. Maybe that's part of their problem in getting people into the building. They get people there, but after 5 minutes no one gives a sh!t about the various things. People go for the hockey game, not this "family experience." None of it matters, and the Devils are kidding themselves if they think it does. You know what matters? A "connection" with the fans, good ticket prices (not $35 for the cheapest seat + $8 in fees + $20 for parking), quality of the team, and ticket packages. That's about 95% of it right there.

Families would buy 4 tickets instead of 2 if the sitting in a good seat didn't cost them what it did today. In fact, they'd probably be returning customers a lot more often.

The video content. Man if America's Funniest Videos, the Mascot playing with Pee Wee Herman (in a bathroom ;)) than come on. I don't have a problem with their Devils-related content, I'm saying have it be Devils related. This is about the team. Mascot videos are fine, once a game. But The mascot used to do great videos back in the day, which were creative. I remember him taking a trip to Toronto, the one with the Garden, the Buffalo hunting, the Red Wings grilling octopus, etc etc. Now it's just like what horrible/uncreative greenscreen can we do.

The music is very important. That stupid organ puts more people to sleep than how we play does. If you think the rest of the production matters, and not the music, that's just not accurate. It's a fine balance, because there are guys who go to hockey games (who, let's be honest have more disposable income in their 20s/30s than families do) - who might be benefitted for a playlist that is somewhat better than the ORGAN playing "On Broadway", "I'm a Believer", and a Lady Gaga Single. If you're going to play and Organ, play Organ Music. Play an old irish tune, play basic arena organ music. That's all I'm saying.

I know more people will appreciate music that's not our rocking hiphop 3rd period club mix...because I forgot the only black people in the building are the ushers and Salvador/Fraser/Oduya.

Edited by HellOnICE

I Basically feel the same way as HellOnICE

Whether or not they HAVE us already does not mean they can sh!t on us, because after a while the die hards will lose interest. Now, that said, i dont have a major beef with the entertainment at games. The only thing that i wish they did better was 1. Have a better organ, or at least have the keyboardist play genuine sports tunes, and not kelly clarkson. and 2. Have more hockey vids on the screen. More around the league stuff.

Edited by devlman

God forbid, they market and try to keep happy the people they do have. Maybe that's part of their problem in getting people into the building. They get people there, but after 5 minutes no one gives a sh!t about the various things. People go for the hockey game, not this "family experience." None of it matters, and the Devils are kidding themselves if they think it does. You know what matters? A "connection" with the fans, good ticket prices (not $35 for the cheapest seat + $8 in fees + $20 for parking), quality of the team, and ticket packages. That's about 95% of it right there.

Families would buy 4 tickets instead of 2 if the sitting in a good seat didn't cost them what it did today. In fact, they'd probably be returning customers a lot more often.

i just can't agree with this, based on what i see in arenas and stadiums around the country. someone out there thinks the bells and whistles matter; it is not like the devils are the only team that does these sorts of things.

as for point 2, that's just standard populism.

The music is very important. That stupid organ puts more people to sleep than how we play does. If you think the rest of the production matters, and not the music, that's just not accurate. It's a fine balance, because there are guys who go to hockey games (who, let's be honest have more disposable income in their 20s/30s than families do) - who might be benefitted for a playlist that is somewhat better than the ORGAN playing "On Broadway", "I'm a Believer", and a Lady Gaga Single. If you're going to play and Organ, play Organ Music. Play an old irish tune, play basic arena organ music. That's all I'm saying.

you can't on the one hand say that all the extra things are unimportant, then complain that the organist who plays before the game and during intermission doesn't play the right music. the organ music isn't there to be listened to - it's there to be background.

EDIT: i have no idea what people like at a game, i really don't. for me, the game is enough, but i know i'm not the person being marketed to.

Edited by Triumph

i just can't agree with this, based on what i see in arenas and stadiums around the country. someone out there thinks the bells and whistles matter; it is not like the devils are the only team that does these sorts of things.

as for point 2, that's just standard populism.

you can't on the one hand say that all the extra things are unimportant, then complain that the organist who plays before the game and during intermission doesn't play the right music. the organ music isn't there to be listened to - it's there to be background.

EDIT: i have no idea what people like at a game, i really don't. for me, the game is enough, but i know i'm not the person being marketed to.

My point is people are making the reverse point you just did. Saying this stuff matters, but the organist doesn't. If you think it's there to be background, than that's a big big fail. Restaurants/stores/casinos/hotels all are hugely specific in the music they pick to create an atmosphere. Why should the rock not?

No of course the Devils aren't the only ones to do these sort of things. Of course they are actually one of the last teams to get on board with it, but if you look around the league surveyed people, took data, they'd find out these things matter very little. Marketing people are inventing these "ideas" to keep a job.

Bring back the 1st period money cash box :doh1:

Edited by HellOnICE

Look, the Devils didn't handle Lightgate very well. I wasn't there so my opinion isn't as important on the matter as that of the people who attended the game, so I'll leave it at that.

But the other stuff TG goes off on is kind of ridiculous. If I was a STH and won the radio booth thing, I would think it's pretty awesome. In game presentaion? Please. Who cares? It's been said before and I think it needs to be repeated right here: I'd rather have a team that has a great on-ice product than one that compensates for a crappy on-ice product with a great off-ice product.

Lou's focus is right where it needs to be. Look at the standings. Cool intermission videos and TG-approved STH prizes don't do that.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Look, the Devils didn't handle Lightgate very well. I wasn't there so my opinion isn't as important on the matter as that of the people who attended the game, so I'll leave it at that.

But the other stuff TG goes off on is kind of ridiculous. If I was a STH and won the radio booth thing, I would think it's pretty awesome. In game presentaion? Please. Who cares? It's been said before and I think it needs to be repeated right here: I'd rather have a team that has a great on-ice product than one that compensates for a crappy on-ice product with a great off-ice product.

Lou's focus is right where it needs to be. Look at the standings. Cool intermission videos and TG-approved STH prizes don't do that.

"Lightgate". LOVE IT

My point is people are making the reverse point you just did. Saying this stuff matters, but the organist doesn't. If you think it's there to be background, than that's a big big fail. Restaurants/stores/casinos/hotels all are hugely specific in the music they pick to create an atmosphere. Why should the rock not?

huh? all of these places also pick their music to be background - it's still supposed to evoke certain moods, but it's not supposed to be at the forefront. you shouldn't go to the mall and remember all the songs you heard. likewise at intermission or before a game.

No of course the Devils aren't the only ones to do these sort of things. Of course they are actually one of the last teams to get on board with it, but if you look around the league surveyed people, took data, they'd find out these things matter very little. Marketing people are inventing these "ideas" to keep a job.

i don't believe this, not for a second. first of all, i don't believe that surveys are the best way to get information, people lie on surveys all the time without knowing it.

this stuff is all of a piece - the idea is that there is no moment where people are left unentertained. what i think is certainly true is that if you took all this stuff out, you wouldn't be getting more people in the door. so, no, i don't think people would say, 'boy i love those funniest home videos', but they might say, 'i paid $60 to come to a game and it wasn't that entertaining, i don't know when i'll go back.'

Edited by Triumph

I was trying to avoid putting in my two cents but...

I think the Devils do many of the game day activities pretty well. I do agree with many of the suggestions that have been made, but there are extenuating circumstances that limit what can be done in some of the cases.

I know a lot of people (myself included) that would love more harder rock in the building, maybe an intro that has some pyro like Calgary....maybe even "Welcome to Hell" messages around the building, playing off the Devils name. Unfortunately, this can't happen. There is a portion of the population that feels the name is blasphemous to their religion...and every so often, groups pop up asking teams like the Devils to change their names. The Devils would not want the negative press associated with such a confrontation, and they seem to try and avoid offending people as much as possible.

The loud, bad music is probably tied into the whole NHL/XM deal. Watching games on Center Ice, the same weak songs seem to pop up everywhere. We have frequently mentioned how the Devils have a young fanbase, and unfortunately, what we hear is what people think the young people like (and listening to the little kids scream at games, many do). I personally never need to hear the Chicken Dance or "get your hands in the air" stuff ever again, but that's just my opinion. I never need to see SpongeBob or hear the theme at another matinee game again, but realize they need to market to everyone, not just me...plus it did start a funny conversation when I mentioned last year that it was Bobby Holik in the costume and he was trying to scare the children.

As for pre-game videos, it sounds like a good idea....but people sitting in their seats watching the jumbotron are not buying anything. People that are bored, waiting for the game to start, will walk the concourse or go to the Devils Den....and buy things.

I'm not a fan of the mascots or cheerleaders or any of that, I go to games to watch the game - personally, I don't even need chants or sectional cheers - but that's just me, but I do see the value to having them in the building. If the kids stay entertained, the families stay longer and spend more...plus they are good for community relations (its good to have representatives of the team meeting people when we have public events like the opening of Championship Plaza). We are a young team, with a limited collection of alumni, so we are limited to who can represent the team with the public. Original Six teams have 75 plus years of players to tap into...we have less than 30, and many of our former players are still in the league. We do not have any old timers to relive the good ol' days...these are the good ol' days our children will tell their children about.

As long as the Devils are winning, I can deal with a lot of the stupidity. My biggest concern with threads like this and posts like TG's is that people waited until something went wrong, then vented all of their hostility at once. If there are things people don't like, mention it to the team reps at the time don't let it fester...and things you like, tell the team about those things too. Feedback from the consumer makes their job easier. If you don't tell people you dislike something, they will assume you like it.

Edited by Festus