Newark's on the move

msweet

"There are a lot of things happening in Newark," said Wellness, 52.

Those things will add up to a better quality of life, say longtime residents and newcomers alike.

The city has seen a burst in upscale new housing and plans for more, fueled by a residential tax credit passed last July that covers as much as 20% of developers' project costs.

Since 2007, more than 1,500 condominiums and market rate and luxury rental units have been approved by the city, according to its economic and housing development office.

The two-year-old Prudential Center - home to the NHL's New Jersey Devils - has brought a steady stream of visitors to the downtown area, and new restaurants and bars have sprung up to accommodate them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/01/12/2010-01-12_newarks_on_the_move.html#ixzz0cVPYUUMc

Newark isn't really on the move. The Ironbound section is the best thing it's got going for it.

The Downtown area is alright. The Rock and NJPAC are good places and bring in business. Other than that, there's nothing.

New apartments aren't selling. Houses are being foreclosed on every day. I should know, I appraise them. They are building new townhouses in areas that no one wants to live in. They stay vacant and unsold and turn into HUD owned properties as the development owners can't pay their bills because no one lives in their units. Newark has no business. The entire city lacks things that regular cities thrive on. Chain restaurants (not talking about fast food) stay away from Newark. There are no movie theaters, bowling alleys, entertainment halls (clubs and stuff). Eastern Newark is the downtown area. Anything west of that borders Irvington, East Orange, and Orange. These neighborhoods are some of the worst in the COUNTRY.

I did an appraisal in Irvington yesterday. Come to find out that twenty minutes after I left (it was on Grove St.) a woman who was simply leaving a store got shot five times and robbed. In broad daylight!

Newark needs more businesses to brave entry into the city. Broad St needs actual retailers and not discount ghetto clothes stores.

I met a family of Finnish people last year that were coming to their first Devils game and they were also going to a Rangers game. The game was a against the Flyers last December. They asked where they could walk around and go shopping before or after the game. I didn't know what to tell them.

Broad St needs a complete makeover. Restaurants such as Olive Garden (I hate them, but you know what I mean) and other chains like that that gives people that don't know anything about Portuguese and Brazilian food an option to eat.

Right now, the most attractive thing about Newark is the ability to get on a train and hop to NYC quickly.

Chain restaurants (not talking about fast food) stay away from Newark. There are no movie theaters, bowling alleys, entertainment halls (clubs and stuff). Eastern Newark is the downtown area. Anything west of that borders Irvington, East Orange, and Orange. These neighborhoods are some of the worst in the COUNTRY.

Just to let you know, Newark doesn't border Orange.

The few Chain restaurants do exist, just not downtown, which is the problem(the Airport and on Springfield Ave and Bergen St with Applebees, other than that, nothing). But I agree with ya. If people wanna do shopping before/after a game(which makes no sense, who does that?), tell em to go to drive to Jersey Gardens or PATH to Newport.

Just to let you know, Newark doesn't border Orange.

The few Chain restaurants do exist, just not downtown, which is the problem(the Airport and on Springfield Ave and Bergen St with Applebees, other than that, nothing). But I agree with ya. If people wanna do shopping before/after a game(which makes no sense, who does that?), tell em to go to drive to Jersey Gardens or PATH to Newport.

I just mixed East Orange and Orange together. Orange is small and very similar to E.O. so in my book, same thing.

About the shopping. Of course we know where to go and why the hell would we go shopping before and after a game. I'm talking about tourists. Those people I talked to were straight out of Finland and were doing a tour of NHL arenas in the eastern US. What do people usually look for in a trip like that? Place to stay, place to eat, shopping district to waste time at, sports bar to warm up at, game.

There's no reason for anyone to travel to Newark to see a Devils game as part of a vacation unless they are staying and hanging out in NYC.

I just mixed East Orange and Orange together. Orange is small and very similar to E.O. so in my book, same thing.

About the shopping. Of course we know where to go and why the hell would we go shopping before and after a game. I'm talking about tourists. Those people I talked to were straight out of Finland and were doing a tour of NHL arenas in the eastern US. What do people usually look for in a trip like that? Place to stay, place to eat, shopping district to waste time at, sports bar to warm up at, game.

There's no reason for anyone to travel to Newark to see a Devils game as part of a vacation unless they are staying and hanging out in NYC.

There would be no reason to travel to anywhere in NJ to <insert thing to do here> as part of a vacation unless they staying or hanging out in NYC (or Philly). That is not unique to Newark.

Just ask yourself, besides a Devils game, or an event at the PAC if you're into that sort of thing, are you ever going to Newark for anything other than work or jury duty? And would you ever want to live in Newark if you had the means to live in the burbs, Hoboken, Jersey City, Manhattan or Brooklyn?

The answer, if you're being honest, is not even a maybe. So long as this is the case, the best Newark can ever hope for is to be a relatively safe place to work or to live for the people that are already there or can't afford to live anywhere else. Some cities are simply beyond repair. That's just the way it is.

Just ask yourself, besides a Devils game, or an event at the PAC if you're into that sort of thing, are you ever going to Newark for anything other than work or jury duty? And would you ever want to live in Newark if you had the means to live in the burbs, Hoboken, Jersey City, Manhattan or Brooklyn?

The answer, if you're being honest, is not even a maybe. So long as this is the case, the best Newark can ever hope for is to be a relatively safe place to work or to live for the people that are already there or can't afford to live anywhere else. Some cities are simply beyond repair. That's just the way it is.

Add Newark Bears to the above and you're pretty much spot on.

But then again from what I heard the area of DC by where the Verizon Center went up was a disaster for a long time. Ten years later the area is just now turning itself around.

The problem for Newark will become a similar problem to the Atlanta Metro Area. Atlanta made a widespread effort to eliminate violent crime in the city, which it did by jailing a whole bunch of people and economically forcing more out of the city. But now, the majority of the Atlanta suburbs are complete hell-holes. Forest Park, Fayetteville, and anything south of the ATL is a wreck. Right now places like Irvington and the Oranges are definite crime hotbeds, but areas in Union County are starting to feel the squeeze of developers come in and kick out the criminals; look at the deterioration of Hillside and Union for examples.

There will be a better Newark as long as politicians are willing to pour tax dollars and make favorable business rules. As a resident of a safe suburb of it, though, I'm not sure I want to see the results.

Add Newark Bears to the above and you're pretty much spot on.

But then again from what I heard the area of DC by where the Verizon Center went up was a disaster for a long time. Ten years later the area is just now turning itself around.

The problem for Newark will become a similar problem to the Atlanta Metro Area. Atlanta made a widespread effort to eliminate violent crime in the city, which it did by jailing a whole bunch of people and economically forcing more out of the city. But now, the majority of the Atlanta suburbs are complete hell-holes. Forest Park, Fayetteville, and anything south of the ATL is a wreck. Right now places like Irvington and the Oranges are definite crime hotbeds, but areas in Union County are starting to feel the squeeze of developers come in and kick out the criminals; look at the deterioration of Hillside and Union for examples.

There will be a better Newark as long as politicians are willing to pour tax dollars and make favorable business rules. As a resident of a safe suburb of it, though, I'm not sure I want to see the results.

I actually lived in DC from 2001 to 2004. Even during bad years, DC will have a lot going for it. The thing with DC is that it has a built-in population of relatively affluent government employees and college students, not to mention lobbyists, government contractors, etc. The Verizon center, which is in an area that's pretty much dead (although not dangerous) in the evening doesn't have a lot to do with it. Despite the propaganda you get from developers and politicians, a new sporting venue might at most turn the immediate vicinity around, it won't turn an entire city around.

Hey Daniel

I had a choice to live in your listed areas but choose Newark because it was a better fit. Cities are not apples to apples comparison and price is always huge, thus the reason NJ grew soo much after the Holland then the lincoln then the GW opened. Your an appraiser look at the ten year value trends and you will see Newark still has zips that had better 10 year price appreciation than Hoboken. Newark is trending up and recent evens have hurt ALL development in the state. I could point out tons of Hoboken condo projects that just built their shells but no the interiors because the market is soo week. Newark is doing well and if city hall can keep itself from imploding the trend line will do just fine.

I actually go to school in Newark (NJIT) and I commute in from Sayreville. As a whole just driving through, it's a complete dump. Go 2 blocks up from the Rock towards town hall and court house and you have to lock your doors. Forget walking off campus for anything. I'm constantly getting emails about robberies and various other crimes happening in the area. The only reason I'm still going there is because the sweet scholarship deal they gave me. The city has done a good job of dressing up the 2 block walk from Penn Station to the Rock to give the illusion that progress is being made but once you get away from there it's just a terrible place.

Steve, your being a bit myopic here. The burglaries are a input of all police blotters reported and you would never visit NYC if you saw what goes through NYU or Pace (where my wife went). Simply put in urban areas there are more people and more reported crimes. The area around NJIT is not a dump although some areas are in need of redevelopment. I have friends that are very happy in University heights and then others that prefer Forest Hills or the Iron bound. Judging Newark by appearances without living here is just short term thinking. Overall the city is hurting like most former American industrial centers but it is always trending well and looks to continue to improve as the economy does.

I actually go to school in Newark (NJIT) and I commute in from Sayreville. As a whole just driving through, it's a complete dump. Go 2 blocks up from the Rock towards town hall and court house and you have to lock your doors. Forget walking off campus for anything. I'm constantly getting emails about robberies and various other crimes happening in the area. The only reason I'm still going there is because the sweet scholarship deal they gave me. The city has done a good job of dressing up the 2 block walk from Penn Station to the Rock to give the illusion that progress is being made but once you get away from there it's just a terrible place.

I have to agree. I walk to Essex County Courthouse from the PATH from time to time, and once you get past Broad Street it feels like Mogadishu.

Steve, your being a bit myopic here. The burglaries are a input of all police blotters reported and you would never visit NYC if you saw what goes through NYU or Pace (where my wife went). Simply put in urban areas there are more people and more reported crimes. The area around NJIT is not a dump although some areas are in need of redevelopment. I have friends that are very happy in University heights and then others that prefer Forest Hills or the Iron bound. Judging Newark by appearances without living here is just short term thinking. Overall the city is hurting like most former American industrial centers but it is always trending well and looks to continue to improve as the economy does.

Call it what you will but you can't say Newark is safe. Just talking to my friends and their parents about where I go to school, they all react the same way. It's always "be careful" or "wow that's brave". Everyone's first reaction to the place is terrible. It's reputation isn't the greatest. I do defend the actual campus to people and I know the area directly around NJIT and Rutgers isn't too bad but I still won't walk off campus. My aunt is a homicide detective for the essex county prosecutor's office so I know how bad of an area it is as a whole. I don't need to live there to know about what goes on.

I have to agree. I walk to Essex County Courthouse from the PATH from time to time, and once you get past Broad Street it feels like Mogadishu.

That's because you use Market St. Use Raymond Blvd to University, then walk up. Or just take the bus.

Mogadishu, lol. I honestly think you folks are just intolerant or terrified of so many black folks hanging about, justified or not. And no one has mentioned the city being safe steve so what are you talking about.

That's because you use Market St. Use Raymond Blvd to University, then walk up. Or just take the bus.

Mogadishu, lol. I honestly think you folks are just intolerant or terrified of so many black folks hanging about, justified or not. And no one has mentioned the city being safe steve so what are you talking about.

I go to rough neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the Bronx. What makes Newark feel like Mogadishu is that there are no cops on the streets.

I go to rough neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the Bronx. What makes Newark feel like Mogadishu is that there are no cops on the streets.

Patty, there are cops all over the place, especialy where we just referenced because it's the county headquaters. Problem is the cops seem more interested in having coffee or chillen out on the curb then interacting with the citizens.

It's true there are cops EVERYWHERE in Newark. I'm there at least a few days a week driving around it's rough neighborhoods. But obviously that won't stop every drug deal/murder/theft and so on. Newark and Camden are definitely two of the most run down and dangerous cities in the country.

So are Detroit, St. Louis, DC, Atlanta, Philly, Buffalo. So far those have you beat except for one(barely), yet I don't hear fans of those teams rant on every week how much those cities are run down and dangerous. Just another reason why this fanbase is portrayed the way it is.

It's true there are cops EVERYWHERE in Newark. I'm there at least a few days a week driving around it's rough neighborhoods. But obviously that won't stop every drug deal/murder/theft and so on. Newark and Camden are definitely two of the most run down and dangerous cities in the country.

I took a couple wrong turns a couple of summers ago going to a concert at the Susquehanna Bank Arts Center (formerly the Tweeter Center) in Camden. It looked like something out of a violent gang movie. I did not stop at one traffic light.

Marv,

The problem is people like Steve and Daniel posting here make comments about a city they neither undestand nor wish to understand. They live in their little suburban hamlets and cast aspersions on a city they DO NOT LIVE IN. Living in a city is not like living in a suburb and there are pros and cons to each. The problem is NJ's townships have cause a racial and economic devide that has left us all with a us vs them attitude. Personally any NJ resident that really wants to do somethign positive for their state, should want Newark to succeed if only to stop succing tax dollars from the state.

I'd love to see Newark succeed. I'm not saying I hate the place nor am I saying I understand it. I actually defend it. I'm just saying I see what goes on and I hear about it and don't see how things could ever change there without a major overhaul. I actually like what Booker is doing to improve the area and bring in people/fans but that's not what they should be working on. They should be focused more on the people already there before inviting people to see the mess that's still left in some parts. I'm sure there are great parts to the city. I personally love a few restaurants in the iron bound (don't know names) and the PAC is one of the nicest places to see a show. Newarkdev01 I'm not sure how much more understanding you could expect me have aside from the fact I go to school there and my aunt's worked there for 7 years now.

Marv,

The problem is people like Steve and Daniel posting here make comments about a city they neither undestand nor wish to understand. They live in their little suburban hamlets and cast aspersions on a city they DO NOT LIVE IN. Living in a city is not like living in a suburb and there are pros and cons to each. The problem is NJ's townships have cause a racial and economic devide that has left us all with a us vs them attitude. Personally any NJ resident that really wants to do somethign positive for their state, should want Newark to succeed if only to stop succing tax dollars from the state.

FYI, I haven't lived in suburbia for quite some time now, and lived in places like Philadelphia and DC for several years. And good for you that you seem to have made a good go of it for yourself in Newark. And no, I haven't lived in Newark or spent that much time there, but I've been there enough to know that at least 90% of people who had other options in the northern NJ area would not choose to live in Newark even if you paid them. I've never in my life had any friend or acquaintance even suggest hanging out in Newark for a drink or to sit down for a bite to eat in Newark except maybe if they were looking for something to do before or immediately after a Devils game.

If what the article means about Newark being on the move is that it's becoming a half-way decent place to live and work I can buy that. But I wouldn't put a nickel on it ever being a "thriving" city.

Newark isn't really on the move. The Ironbound section is the best thing it's got going for it.

The Downtown area is alright. The Rock and NJPAC are good places and bring in business. Other than that, there's nothing.

New apartments aren't selling. Houses are being foreclosed on every day. I should know, I appraise them. They are building new townhouses in areas that no one wants to live in. They stay vacant and unsold and turn into HUD owned properties as the development owners can't pay their bills because no one lives in their units. Newark has no business. The entire city lacks things that regular cities thrive on. Chain restaurants (not talking about fast food) stay away from Newark. There are no movie theaters, bowling alleys, entertainment halls (clubs and stuff). Eastern Newark is the downtown area. Anything west of that borders Irvington, East Orange, and Orange. These neighborhoods are some of the worst in the COUNTRY.

I did an appraisal in Irvington yesterday. Come to find out that twenty minutes after I left (it was on Grove St.) a woman who was simply leaving a store got shot five times and robbed. In broad daylight!

Newark needs more businesses to brave entry into the city. Broad St needs actual retailers and not discount ghetto clothes stores.

I met a family of Finnish people last year that were coming to their first Devils game and they were also going to a Rangers game. The game was a against the Flyers last December. They asked where they could walk around and go shopping before or after the game. I didn't know what to tell them.

Broad St needs a complete makeover. Restaurants such as Olive Garden (I hate them, but you know what I mean) and other chains like that that gives people that don't know anything about Portuguese and Brazilian food an option to eat.

Right now, the most attractive thing about Newark is the ability to get on a train and hop to NYC quickly.

Great post! So true!

and what about beautiful triangle park?! HA!......... anyone else remember that? lol