Good Hockey books?

Dave30

Hockey books that I own:

Beyond the Crease - Martin Brodeur & Damian Cox

Then Wayne Said To Mario...: The Best Stanley Cup Stories Ever Told - Kevin Allen

The Greatest Hockey Stories Ever Told - Bryant Urstadt

Gordie: A Hockey Legend - Roy MacSkimming

I've only finished the first and last one and would recommend them both. The hockey stories books look like fun, just haven't had time to go through them.

I suggest Total Hockey. It's more of a hockey bible or textbook than just a book. It has statistics of every NHL player ever, which I think is useless and a huge waste of paper, but before that there are some very interesting chapters on hockey's history. This includes not just NHL history, but goes all the way back to the disputed primitive origins of the game itself.

Link

I suggest Total Hockey. It's more of a hockey bible or textbook than just a book. It has statistics of every NHL player ever, which I think is useless and a huge waste of paper, but before that there are some very interesting chapters on hockey's history. This includes not just NHL history, but goes all the way back to the disputed primitive origins of the game itself.

Link

Way back when on a cold frozen pond, the aboriginals were playing a game, when sudden a hawk swooped down and grabbed the puck in its beak and flew back to the nest and ate it. So they went back to the elders in their tepees to tell them what happened. "Hawk eat! Hawk eat!" Which is now the modern vernacular of...hockey.

Now lets go play some hockey!

I read Brodeur: Beyond the Crease and didn't love it. He is kind of disjointed and stream of consciousness-ish. Seems like if his English was a tad better and he had waited a few years to write it the book would've been better.

I read The Game by Ken Dryden and it was spectacular. Definitely recommend it. To learn about Dryden, about goalies, about the 1970s Canadiens, and about hockey as a sport and as a phenomena. I learned a lot about the developments of the game from old pond hockey to rule changes to players who changed the game, and Dryden really has a way with words. He humanizes the players and makes everything legible. Really couldn't recommend it more.

I also read The Boys of Winter, a book about the 1980 USA Mens Olympic team. It's good if you're interested in the topic, I love that team and their story. I just wish I had been alive to experience it. A pretty good book, but more a documentary than anything else.

Way back when on a cold frozen pond, the aboriginals were playing a game, when sudden a hawk swooped down and grabbed the puck in its beak and flew back to the nest and ate it. So they went back to the elders in their tepees to tell them what happened. "Hawk eat! Hawk eat!" Which is now the modern vernacular of...hockey.

Now lets go play some hockey!

Hahaha I love those commercials. Do they still show them? I don't have NHL Network.

Hahaha I love those commercials. Do they still show them? I don't have NHL Network.

Only occasionally. Now we get the "Hockey is for everyone" commercial twice every commercial break. I think I figured out how Rick DiPietro hurts himself all the time, it's running around screaming like a madman while carrying a child in one arm.

Only occasionally. Now we get the "Hockey is for everyone" commercial twice every commercial break. I think I figured out how Rick DiPietro hurts himself all the time, it's running around screaming like a madman while carrying a child in one arm.

LOL, this is true. It's either that commercial or the sappy animal abuse commercial. I do like that the Fivehead is immortalized in Parise's NHL Network commercial, lol.

No I think it's from getting beat up by the other team's parents. I'm sure they weren't happy seeing their child get shown up by his over-the-top goal celebration.

I read The Game by Ken Dryden and it was spectacular. Definitely recommend it. To learn about Dryden, about goalies, about the 1970s Canadiens, and about hockey as a sport and as a phenomena. I learned a lot about the developments of the game from old pond hockey to rule changes to players who changed the game, and Dryden really has a way with words. He humanizes the players and makes everything legible. Really couldn't recommend it more.

I also read The Boys of Winter, a book about the 1980 USA Mens Olympic team. It's good if you're interested in the topic, I love that team and their story. I just wish I had been alive to experience it. A pretty good book, but more a documentary than anything else.

I agree here. I'm almost done with Boys of Winter. I love how the author describes the game, and when there's a play made by a certain player, he'll then explain all about that player and jump right back into the game. Worked pretty seamlessly.

Another one I liked was called They Don't Play Hockey in Heaven. I think the author's name is Dave Baker. It's an autobiographical story of a man who has a brain tumor and the long road of returning to the game and eventually making the pros. Former Devil Sasha Lakovic is one of his teammates.

I think you should get Theo Fleury's book "Playing With Fire". It might have some interesting stories there. I will definitely get it as soon as possible, it's just pretty hard to get these books in Finland. And if I'm not mistaken, Thomas Vanek's book is out now as well.

• 3 weeks later...