how to get to the rock

TomsRiverDevil

Parkway to the Turnpike (dunno exit # but right over the bridge).. then take the exit for Newark 1-9 (13A? or something.. again don't remember)

Take either the McCarter Highway or Broad Street exits, both get you to the stadium (stadium is between those two)

This is by far the fastest way.. don't take the train.. its at least an hour and a half compared to.. forty minutes driving

From where you're coming from, I'd take the train. But if you must drive, the way I go is:

Parkway to exit 142 (Route 78 East)

Route 78 to exit 57 (Route 21/McCarter Highway)

McCarter Highway to Green or Mulberry Street for parking.

Depending on how far away you want to park, it can range from $15-$30. Best parking I've found is a few blocks south of the Rock near the immigration building - $15 and the easiest way out to go south after the game.

Train is ridiculously long and depending where you live in Monmouth County.. connections aren't happening late at night and its just not worth it.

Drive but use my directions. It is so much faster.

I go to a few games a month from Long Branch.. and those directions get me there in about 40 minutes tops

Here are the real directions:

GSP north to exit 127- NJTP

NJTP take eastern spur toward Lincoln Tunnel You will only go as far as the first exit, so stay right.

exit 15E Follow signs to Raymond Boulevard

Take Raymond Boulevard into Downtown. You will bear right a couple of times. The river is on your right. You will see it occasionally.

When you see Newark Penn Station, turn into the parking lot on your left, before moving through the station (Raymond Blvd passes under Penn Sta.)

Have fun!

I live in Brick and have tried all the ways posted on here. I drive to the South Amboy ( cheesequake rest stop commuter parking lot to local roads ) or Metropark ( ex 131a) train station ( both close to parkway )and take the train from there at $8 round trip plus $5 for parking if Metropark only.

Driving all the way to the arena costs more and takes too much time fighting the traffic to get back onto the highway.

Coming from Toms River, I assume?

Looks like driving directions are covered. I always take the train (I live in Brick). Hop on in Bay Head, bring some beers for the ride and treat it like a moving tailgate. Since Bay Head is the last stop you can sleep the whole way home and not worry about missing your stop. Round trip is $17 and change.

If you don't want the two-hour train ride but also don't wanna drive all the way to Newark, Metropark is the way to go.

I live in Toms River. I drive to Metropark. Just drive up the parkway. No turnpike, no parking, no long ass train ride.

I don't know how you guys take the train from the shore. For me, when I took the train (Usually out of Dover or Denville in Morris County), it was an hour trip. I wanted to gouge my eyes out compared to a 20-25 minute drive into Newark.

I don't know how you guys take the train from the shore. For me, when I took the train (Usually out of Dover or Denville in Morris County), it was an hour trip. I wanted to gouge my eyes out compared to a 20-25 minute drive into Newark.

Like I said before, treat it like a moving tailgate party. Don't feel like partying? Read something, catch some shuteye, wander around and make friends ... do all the things you can't do while driving. I haven't driven to a game since they moved from the swamp and I never will. A two-hour train ride is SO MUCH better than driving an hour and a half. No burning gas, no tolls, no traffic, no fighting your way out of a parking lot, no wear and tear on your car, no designated drivers.

The only thing that sucks is the late-night train schedule going home. Miss your train, wait an hour. That's beat.

I'll be attending my first game at The Rock on Friday. I'm staying at a hotel in Wayne, NJ, and I've heard conflicting advice on getting to the arena. A relative who lives in Bloomfield says I should drive in and park next to the arena. (I don't know if he's gone to a game there.) A friend who has gone there recommends I drive to the Grove St. Station in Bloomfield and take the Newark Light Rail into Newark Penn Station. I would rather take the light rail, IF it is safe and convenient (from a time and frequency of trains standpoint), since I don't want to pay that much for parking and have to deal with the traffic. What do you experienced folks recommend?

I don't normally come in from the Wayne area but I have taken the light rail before and it was pretty easy and convenient. If I remember it wasn't expensive and I didn't have any issues with feeling unsafe. Driving will save you some time possibly, since the traffic around Wayne could be pretty bad when you'd have to leave, but in terms of simplicity and relaxation the light rail might be a good choice for somebody just doing it once.

The train ride is quite long if you're near the Monmouth/Ocean county border by the beach, but the Parkway leads right into Metropark so you can go for that. Or just take 195 to Hamilton...DO NOT drive to games on a weeknight.

I drive right by Metropark on my way to the game and have no problems with traffic at any time. I leave around 5:50, parkway to 78(although I take Elizabeth Ave off of 78 to avoid Rt 21), get there in time to have a bite and a beer at a place outside the arena and then walk into the game, grab a beer, and sit down.

I live right by the Turnpike and Parkway in the Edison/Woodbridge area and the Parkway is the faster bet by 5-10 minutes, although avoiding 21 might be the real time savings and not the highway chosen.

Like I said before, treat it like a moving tailgate party. Don't feel like partying? Read something, catch some shuteye, wander around and make friends ... do all the things you can't do while driving. I haven't driven to a game since they moved from the swamp and I never will. A two-hour train ride is SO MUCH better than driving an hour and a half. No burning gas, no tolls, no traffic, no fighting your way out of a parking lot, no wear and tear on your car, no designated drivers.

The only thing that sucks is the late-night train schedule going home. Miss your train, wait an hour. That's beat.

Well its not an hour and a half drive if you know the right way to go lol.. Don't go all the way up the parkway.. get off on the turnpike and cut your trip time in half

Well its not an hour and a half drive if you know the right way to go lol.. Don't go all the way up the parkway.. get off on the turnpike and cut your trip time in half

As someone who lives right where they split I think the parkway is the way to go from there. By taking the Parkway I can avoid all the major local roads, which then avoids almost all traffic before or after games.

Oh ya, also took a person to a game 2 weeks ago who was a season ticket holder last season, they used to take the Turnpike route but is switching over to the parkway to 78 to back roads route now.

Edited by Devils731

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1pn=Toms+River&1c=Seaside+Heights&1s=NJ&1y=US&1l=39.937618&1g=-74.110693&1v=ADDRESS&1id=14593513&2pn=Prudential+Center&2c=Newark&2s=NJ&2a=165+Mulberry+St&2z=07102&2y=US&2l=40.733371&2g=-74.170068&2v=ADDRESS&2id=41876322#b/maps/l:Toms+River::Seaside+Heights:NJ::US:39.937618:-74.110693:address::1:::14593513/l:Prudential+Center:165+Mulberry+St:Newark:NJ:07102:US:40.733371:-74.170068:address::1:::41876322/io:1:::::f::::/e

From Toms River to the Rock.. Mapquest says Turnpike.. 1:30

Mapquest dont lie... besides you are WAY better off with traffic on the Turnpike (cars and trucks=4 lanes, cars=3 lanes) than on the Parkway (express=2 lanes, normal=2 lanes)... going northbound around 6 is ZERO traffic..

And you can speed alot more on the turnpike ;) not as many nasty state troopers and alot more room.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1pn=Toms+River&1c=Seaside+Heights&1s=NJ&1y=US&1l=39.937618&1g=-74.110693&1v=ADDRESS&1id=14593513&2pn=Prudential+Center&2c=Newark&2s=NJ&2a=165+Mulberry+St&2z=07102&2y=US&2l=40.733371&2g=-74.170068&2v=ADDRESS&2id=41876322#b/maps/l:Toms+River::Seaside+Heights:NJ::US:39.937618:-74.110693:address::1:::14593513/l:Prudential+Center:165+Mulberry+St:Newark:NJ:07102:US:40.733371:-74.170068:address::1:::41876322/io:1:::::f::::/e

From Toms River to the Rock.. Mapquest says Turnpike.. 1:30

Mapquest dont lie... besides you are WAY better off with traffic on the Turnpike (cars and trucks=4 lanes, cars=3 lanes) than on the Parkway (express=2 lanes, normal=2 lanes)... going northbound around 6 is ZERO traffic..

And you can speed alot more on the turnpike ;) not as many nasty state troopers and alot more room.

:noclue:

Regardless of drive time, everyone has their preference and mine is the train. I can't drink and drive on the way up and I can't sleep and drive on the way home. I can do both on the train. A round-trip is also cheaper than parking alone in Newark, let alone factoring in gas and tolls. It's a no-brainer for me, but to each his own.

I don't normally come in from the Wayne area but I have taken the light rail before and it was pretty easy and convenient. If I remember it wasn't expensive and I didn't have any issues with feeling unsafe. Driving will save you some time possibly, since the traffic around Wayne could be pretty bad when you'd have to leave, but in terms of simplicity and relaxation the light rail might be a good choice for somebody just doing it once.

Thanks, 731! I think that's they way I'm leaning.

Daneyko.. thats from Toms River, my trip is from up north a bit.. mapquest says an hour, I get there in 40 easily.

I drive simply because I have a parking spot and the traffic is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

You could also park at MSU station if you're coming from Wayne on a weeknight since sometimes the light rail station in Bloomfield is filled before 6. Boonton Line to Broad Street then light rail to Penn (or bus to Lafayette or Market St., but I would personally choose the light rail).

A relative who lives in Bloomfield says I should drive in and park next to the arena.

If your relative lives in Bloomfield they should know there are several cheaper, faster options from Bloomfield other than driving.

Edited by Marv4Life

I live in Toms River. I used to take the train from Metropark. Now I have switched to driving in because it really is much easier. Now I didn't read every post but here's the way I go, no turnpike involved... take the Parkway from TR up to Exit 140 which puts you on 22-E, then you get on to 21-N, and it puts you right on to McCarter Hwy, follow that til you see the McDonald's, make a left onto Chestnut street then the following right, and park in one of those green zone parking lots. $15 dollars to park. Now you figure, I usually go with 1 other person, we'll say split the parking so its only $7 dollars to park each, and if you think about it you're really not using that much more gas then you would going to Metropark. Metropark is exit 131 on the parkway, so it's only 9 more exits up. Then you figure if there's 2 of you, it's $8 round trip each, then $5 to park so you're talking $21 dollars plus what if you miss the train after the game? It's a pain in the ass. Now think of the savings if you go with more people, say 4. For the train that's $32 dollars plus $5 to park, $37 bucks. You drive in, still $15 to park.

$15 to park PLUS gas PLUS tolls. Not everyone drives with someone. And 21 is a nightmare during rush hour; this would work on a weekend.

As far as the train and the cost, if an 11 year-old kid goes with you, he/she can ride at least half off or free depending on the day. PS free parking at Woodbridge station after 11am and on weekends; same fare as it is from Metropark.

So are there any driving hints from someone coming from the north, say from the NYS Thruway?

I work right by the Thruway and near a trainstation so sometimes I drive and sometimes I take a train, depending on the mood or who is coming with me. Traffic on 17, the GSP, and 21 are all usually pretty lame. The car is nice for getting home a little earlier on week nights when I have work the next day.