If you were Kovalchuk

NewarkDevil5

All makes sense, however the SCARY part is he can enjoy all those things (minus the serious contender talks) if he jumps across the Hudson and signs with the Rags. I would cry if that happened....

Are you guys serious with the cost of living numbers???? A guy that earns that much isn't worried if his property taxes at 12K or 6K respectively. He's not worried if his gas costs ten cents more per gallon. Reality check folks!!!

This is a business. Kovalchuk will decide based on what the Devils do this year, and even then, i wouldn't be so certain. Look at Hossa, jumped from the Pens to the Wings...and still didn't win a cup.

With Elias getting older, as well as Marty...the Devils will need a "franchise guy" soon. Based on that, and what he sees from Kovy the next two or three months, Lou will make his choice.

I think we have a good chance of landing him long term if we can ship away Rolston.

Don't be surprised if Slava Fetisov had something to do with us getting Kovy (at least from the scouting aspect). He's a respected Russian official now, and Kovy need no mess with the mighty arm of the government...lol!

But in all seriousness, I'm sure Lou consulted with Slava to peruse his brain on whether or not Kovy has the character and personality to fit the team. I guess Slava gave him good reviews.

Are you guys serious with the cost of living numbers???? A guy that earns that much isn't worried if his property taxes at 12K or 6K respectively. He's not worried if his gas costs ten cents more per gallon. Reality check folks!!!

This is a business. Kovalchuk will decide based on what the Devils do this year, and even then, i wouldn't be so certain. Look at Hossa, jumped from the Pens to the Wings...and still didn't win a cup.

With Elias getting older, as well as Marty...the Devils will need a "franchise guy" soon. Based on that, and what he sees from Kovy the next two or three months, Lou will make his choice.

I think we have a good chance of landing him long term if we can ship away Rolston.

Don't be surprised if Slava Fetisov had something to do with us getting Kovy (at least from the scouting aspect). He's a respected Russian official now, and Kovy need no mess with the mighty arm of the government...lol!

But in all seriousness, I'm sure Lou consulted with Slava to peruse his brain on whether or not Kovy has the character and personality to fit the team. I guess Slava gave him good reviews.

I said the cost of living meant nothing to people that rich....

I would be extremely upset if Lou fails to resign Kovy (and we've basically given up Bergfors and Oduya) for a 3 month rental). You know damn well a team like the Rangers is going to make a major push for him too, though the Islanders are probably a bigger threat because they're way under the cap. Whose contracts could prevent us from keeping him? Rolston's, Elias', White's? I'd like to know what our chances are of keeping this guy...we haven't had an impact player like him since acquiring Scott Stevens from the Blues.

Edited by slasher72

Could we buyout Rolston? Pando? White?

I have a feeling Lou didn't give up a great future unless he gonna do something Cu ot. How do we know Lou isn't talking right now? Maybe Kovy turned down the the offer from Atlanta because he just didn't want to say "I want out" in a mean way.

I have a feeling if we could get far into the PO and give Kovalchuk a taste of winning he'll want to stay here. If we won a Cup I just don't see Kovy leaving. I just don't see that. You would have to be a idiot to leave a Cup team.

Edited by Par99

When speaking of the chances of keeping Kovalchuk you have to look at the other FAs in 2010.

Martin, Niedermayer, McAmmond, Mottau are UFA....Clarkson and Fraser are RFA. I'd like to see Martin obviously resigned. If Mottau is released, Fraser would have to be kept, and even if Mottau is resigned we should keep Fraser and Clarkson as well. McAmmond and Niedermayer will likely go, but then we'll have to get two centers. Even with every salary remaining the same the cap room won't be big enough to offer him more than $9M/year (Ovechkin's salary)...unless they're able to move a guy like Rolston for a lesser cap hit guy.

IF I were Kovalchuk I'd stay (obviously for a fair amount of money). Not many teams are in the same category as the Devils competitive wise. Capitals, Penguins, Red Wings, Sharks...all have very limited room if they want to keep their important guys. Capitals have Ovie locked up but are looking at Backstrom as RFA this summer and Semin in '11. Pittsburgh has room but half their D is UFA...and so on. So IF it is about WINNING...the Devils not only give you a chance, but will give you the highest salary of the top teams.

Did somebody really say he would take a one year deal? That's insane the guy clearly is headed to FA, he's going to be looking for a boatload on money and a long term deal something I can't see Lou willing to do. Some team will step up with a huge offer and the Devils aren't the only team in the mix for a cup. Time will tell but if another contender steps up with a mega deal he's not gonna pass it up like he did in Atlanta where they never had a shot. He's in a position where he can have both.

Hossa did it with the Wings. It's not completely farfetched. He can take a year, try to win it (hopefully for the second consecutive time) and then get his big paycheck. It's not like he has to bring home the retirement fund right now.

You would have to be a idiot to leave a Cup team.

Yet Cup teams face such turnover because everyone wants to cash in afterwards? Kovalchuk doesn't benefit from a bigger payday winning a cup... but there will be plenty of contenders interested in him...

Personally, I'd be weary signing to the Devs longterm with Marty and Lou both getting up there... this could be a swan song for the NJ Devils we know... the future in 2-4 years really depend on how we handle Marty's transition (and with that Lou's transition).

Yet Cup teams face such turnover because everyone wants to cash in afterwards? Kovalchuk doesn't benefit from a bigger payday winning a cup... but there will be plenty of contenders interested in him...

Personally, I'd be weary signing to the Devs longterm with Marty and Lou both getting up there... this could be a swan song for the NJ Devils we know... the future in 2-4 years really depend on how we handle Marty's transition (and with that Lou's transition).

The Devils should be strong for the next couple of years for sure, and still a contender beyond that. As long as we get a decent replacement for Marty (I am pretty sure he will sign a 1 yr extension minimum, hopefully 2) we will be in good shape. We have a plethora of prospects that should be blossomed by them and young talent such as Parise and Zajac to build around. Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique and others could be the future of the team. Not to mention guys like Zharkov, Palmieri, etc. I think the Devils will be just fine....

guys don't worry I'm selling my house and i'll convince my mom to sell it to Kovalchuk for 1/4 the price and I live in Bergen county which is the richest. So he'll say here in a good neighbhor and settle down. I'll take one for the team lol.

THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!! GOOD WORK

Optimistic: Kovalchuk already turned down ridiculous amounts of money to play for a bad team, so it's obvious that he wants to play for a good team. That implies that he'd be willing to take less money to play for a contender. The Devils are a contender every year. He'll stay.

Pessimistic: This is Kovalchuk's time to shine on the big stage and audition for a blockbuster contract. He's never really had a chance to shine in the playoffs before. Now he can prove to the naysayers that he's a team player who can produce when the season hangs in the balance. A strong playoff performance from one of the most naturally gifted players in the world while he's still this young will garner him contract offers that will make what Atlanta offered look cheap.

Realistic: The Devils don't have a chance unless A) Lou finds a way to make Rolston disappear, B) Kovalchuk is willing to take a serious discount, and/or C) Kovie pulls a Hossa and signs a one-year deal with the Devils because he thinks they have the best shot at the Cup next year. Unless you like the odds of one or more of those three things coming true, I wouldn't invest in a Devils Kovalchuk jersey.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Depending on how far the Devils go they could get him for a couple years. If a deal does happen I see it being for around 3 years tops. I think Ilya see's they have a solid team who is always competitive. Honestly, he has to see that as long as they have Brodeur they have a shot. He also has to look at what happened with the Mogilny trade. Sometimes it takes more than half a season to generate the right kind of chemistry. He might look at that situation and say I'll give it a few years. Not to mention I'm sure Lou has already mentioned to him how much he wants Brodeur to get another cup before he hangs 'em up.

I dont see Kovy going to the KHL right now...this playoff season is going to make him way too hungry for a cup if the Devils dont win it all this season.

As much as the papers are saying, he's only here until July...I dont know. I still cant believe he's a Devil and a big part of me says its only going to be short term, but something else is telling me Lou is just the right person to convince him to hang around for a cup or two and then look for greener pastures.