Official "Around The NHL" 2010 SCF PLAYOFF Thread.

SatansDevils

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: I laughed out loud at that goal. That's ECHL-quality play by the Leafs there. First the absurd non-coverage on Jokinen in the neutral zone, then the Leafs defender who lazily looks at the puck as it rolls in front of him and a wide open net as Prospal is charging to him. Unreal. I think if that was a Devils defenseman, he wouldn't see ice time for a week.

I gotta hand it to the Rangers, though. They can really make bad teams look shockingly bad when they want. Too bad they're powerless against any team with actual skill.

Toronto is just ECHL bad in this game.

That's why they'll roll Philadelphia this weekend. They got lucky again this season. Last season, they had a similar type ending and an injury to Ryan Miller got them in. This year, it's just more of the same thing. Easy schedule and injuries to teams above them.

I was thinking this the other night....do the Rangers have any key players ever get injured for long stretches, like say, the Devils? When was the last key NYR to miss a month? Two months? If it's happened, i'm drawing a blank.

I was thinking this the other night....do the Rangers have any key players ever get injured for long stretches, like say, the Devils? When was the last key NYR to miss a month? Two months? If it's happened, i'm drawing a blank.

I actually looked this up earlier this year because I was wondering the same thing. The Rangers are one of the, if not THE luckiest team injury-wise since the lockout. They have an absurdly low man-games missed to injury every season since the lockout. And aside from day-to-day type of stuff, no, they haven't lost any key players for extended periods of time. They lost Drury to concussion and Dubinsky for a few weeks, but both injuries were relatively short-lived.

Well Toronto has officially mailed it in.

Just allows the Rangers the opportunity for the H-bomb epic fail this weekend.

Or the Flyers.

If the Rangers win Friday hopefully Boston does enough so that the game Sunday will be for the eighth seed, which means we'd play neither team and the winner gets the Caps anyway.

Edited by NJDevs26

I actually looked this up earlier this year because I was wondering the same thing. The Rangers are one of the, if not THE luckiest team injury-wise since the lockout. They have an absurdly low man-games missed to injury every season since the lockout. And aside from day-to-day type of stuff, no, they haven't lost any key players for extended periods of time. They lost Drury to concussion and Dubinsky for a few weeks, but both injuries were relatively short-lived.

It's unreal. It really is. You'd think they'd have some fluke type injury somewhere. Some fans like to credit or discredit training staffs and team conditioning programs, but injuries do happen to everyone. I think conditioning and training programs do cut down some self inflicted injuries, but they have had no fluke injuries whatsoever.

Shanahan had that concussion a few years back, and Betts had the broken eye socket in the playoffs...but along with the ones you mentioned they've been absurdly healthy.

i honestly don't think this is luck - or at least not significantly lucky. dallas has been able to do similar things in football. if you target durable players and have an excellent medical staff, you can have a run like this. new jersey certainly did in the 90s/00s.

the rangers are not going to get into the playoffs. they will still be an underdog after this win.

i honestly don't think this is luck - or at least not significantly lucky. dallas has been able to do similar things in football. if you target durable players and have an excellent medical staff, you can have a run like this. new jersey certainly did in the 90s/00s.

the rangers are not going to get into the playoffs. they will still be an underdog after this win.

Yes, it's alot of luck. A slap shot from the point can find the ankle or kneecap of the most durable player. A slash across the arm or a hit sideways into the boards will eventually find you. Durability in sports is luck as much as it is conditioning and phyiscal attirbutes.

I know the NYR put alot of stock in off season conditioning and in training camp.

As much as i hate the NYR with a passion since 1984 and nothing would make me happier to have them miss, i'd love to prove you wrong. How you can call them an underdog i have no idea other then to rely on statistics.

how can i call them an underdog? they pretty much have to get at least 3 points in the final 2 games. that's not easy to do.

if boston gets 0 points over their last 3 - bruins are at 85 points. rangers have to go at least 0-1-1 to beat them out.

if boston gets 1 point over their last 3 - bruins are at 86 points. rangers have to go at least 0-0-2 or 1-1 to beat them out.

if boston gets 2 points over their last 3 - bruins are at 87 points. rangers have to go at least 1-0-1 to guarantee being in.

the other scenarios don't matter, since the rangers have to win out to overtake the flyers. boston is a favorite to get 2 or more points in their final 3. the rangers are not a favorite to go 1-0-1 or better in their final 2 games.

Edited by Triumph

how can i call them an underdog? they pretty much have to get at least 3 points in the final 2 games. that's not easy to do.

They can take 3 points from Philadelphia on goaltending alone right now. The Rangers are 8-2-2 in the second game of back-to-back games. That will go to 9-2-2 after tonight, so that suggests they'll get at least a split.

Then consider Boston's remaining schedule with Buffalo, Carolina and Washington. They can go 0-3. Carolina is no easy points, no matter the standings. That will be a tough one or two points.

It's no certainty the Rangers will miss.

Edited by SJP20

They can take 3 points from Philadelphia on goaltending alone right now. The Rangers are 8-2-2 in the second game of back-to-back games. That will go to 9-2-2 after tonight, so that suggests they'll get at least a split.

Then consider Boston's remaining schedule with Buffalo, Carolina and Washington. They can go 0-3. Carolina is no easy points, no matter the standings. That will be a tough one or two points.

It's no certainty the Rangers will miss.

no, it's not a certainty at all. i am saying the rangers are underdogs. what they did tonight doesn't increase their odds significantly, and they were listed at 24% today. i'd say they're more like 35% after tonight's game.