Help improve the Rock

Vic Rattlehead18

I have finished with my two orientations for the Guest Services (aticket taker/usher) job.

We are encouraged to give ideas that will help improve the Rock and the overall fan experience. So I figured this would be a perfect opportunity for everyone on this board to be able to give input to the Devils organization now that there is someone working there. I ask everyone for their suggestions on what they would like to see changed, done differently, or added to make this a better arena than it already is. But I also ask that all ideas are realistic. No "lower beer prices, make better food, add another box office, blah blah". I won't be able to address everything that is put on the table since I have just started, but as I'm there longer and get in better with all my supervisors I'll be able to make the suggestions. I will make myself a checklist so that I'm sure I voice everyones ideas. And I will also get back to everyone if i'm given a response or if it's a response i'm allowed to give (under strict confidential rules). I'm told good suggestions are always brought directly to Jeff Vanderbeeks attention.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an usher perspective keeping the little walkway/hallway that's the entrance to the sections clear would be nice. It's only about 2 people wide so if 2 people are milling there or waiting for something, like getting their tickets read, then I can't get to my seats. Moving these people to the side while reading their tickets, or whatever they're doing, would improve the flow of people into their seats improving satisfaction and decreasing people's blocked views during the play.

Seems like it might be a good suggestion to throw out there. It's a process issue so it costs nothing to change while yielding actual, pretty easy to see, results. Should look like a win from you, I think.

If, at all possible, improve the massive congrestion before every game in the tower entrances. I mean, I understand that rushing 15,000+ people into the arena is no easy task...but it's been REALLY bad sometimes. St. Patty's day most recently, stood in line for at least 15 minutes

Here's what I can think of off the top of my head...

The ushers have to keep people from going to their seats when the game is in progress. This is my single biggest problem there that got much better after the first month or so in the new arena but still continues to a smaller degree a couple years later. When people disregard that rule and clog up the stairways it can completely block your view depending on where you're sitting.

My second major issue, and this is something that seems to change on a daily basis, is PLEASE let us take the stairs from the upper level ALL THE WAY to the street when we are exiting the building. It is a major hassle being forced to the main concourse to go to one of the three main exits of the building.

I think a lot has improved there since the first season. Most of the staff there is beyond friendly which is the total opposite of the dump. The only thing that gets a little aggrivating is how certain things like the exit stairs change on a game-by-game basis with no explanation given.

Sometimes I cant get to the game until it's ready to start, so I like to eat between the first and second periods. It would be nice if the consessionaires could have the food ready by the time the period is over. I had to miss 11 minutes of the second period last week because of it. PS: I was only 5th on line.

Edited by peteyvegas

Yeah the wait for the whistle would be WONDERFUL

It was also be nice if they didn't insist on checking EVERYONE'S ticket on the way in, I've been going to my seat for 3 years... leave me alone and let me get there :P

(and then when you do check someone's seat don't send the guy with seats 1-3 up the row with seat 25 on the end :rant: that drives me nuts!)

Sometimes I cant get to the game until it's ready to start, so I like to eat between the first and second periods. It would be nice if the consessionaires could have the food ready by the time the period is over. I had to miss 11 minutes of the second period last week because of it. PS: I was only 5th on line.

That is the other thing I couldn't think of. This has been a problem since day 1. It seems like many of the stands are never prepared for intermissions and the lines move excruciatingly slow. One night I couldn't get a pretzel at any stand in the upper level during the 2nd intermission. Some stands ran out, others didn't have any ready. This is just terrible planning and should have been adjusted ages ago. That's the one thing the dump had down to a science.

My second major issue, and this is something that seems to change on a daily basis, is PLEASE let us take the stairs from the upper level ALL THE WAY to the street when we are exiting the building. It is a major hassle being forced to the main concourse to go to one of the three main exits of the building.

+1,000,000

Yeah, definitely enforcing waiting for the whistle. I missed the Salvador goal against the Rags because of (surprise) a couple Rags fans crawling over people to get to their seats during the middle of play. Chewed out one of the guys, who happened to be like 6'4", so that could've turned out really bad for me. haha

Where did you go to apply for this job?

I emailed the prudential center website and they responded with an email to send my resume to. About 15 people were hired since they'll need more people when the Nets come to play. Not sure if they plan on hiring anyone else at the moment though.

From an usher perspective keeping the little walkway/hallway that's the entrance to the sections clear would be nice. It's only about 2 people wide so if 2 people are milling there or waiting for something, like getting their tickets read, then I can't get to my seats. Moving these people to the side while reading their tickets, or whatever they're doing, would improve the flow of people into their seats improving satisfaction and decreasing people's blocked views during the play.

Seems like it might be a good suggestion to throw out there. It's a process issue so it costs nothing to change while yielding actual, pretty easy to see, results. Should look like a win from you, I think.

Crowded walkways are annoying and I'll see what we can do to prevent congestion there. Nothing can be done if you're waiting behind someone getting their ticket checked, only if they're hanging out in the walkway. We're told to check everyone's tickets, which is impossible really if you don't want to delay things. And it won't be a win from me, I never take credit for others ideas. I would simply say "a friend of mine made a suggestion that I thought I'd bring to your attention."

If, at all possible, improve the massive congrestion before every game in the tower entrances. I mean, I understand that rushing 15,000+ people into the arena is no easy task...but it's been REALLY bad sometimes. St. Patty's day most recently, stood in line for at least 15 minutes

There are only 4 entrances; Verizon Tower, PNC Tower/Box Office, Sky Bridge for people who went to VIP parking, and the Lafayette street side which is also for VIP/Restaurant. Unfortunately there is no other public access. The only thing we can do to prevent massive congestion is for the security and ticket scanners (like me) to work faster. Mostly them working slow is not the case, but like you said, getting 15,000+ people is no easy task and can't be done quickly.

Here's what I can think of off the top of my head...

The ushers have to keep people from going to their seats when the game is in progress. This is my single biggest problem there that got much better after the first month or so in the new arena but still continues to a smaller degree a couple years later. When people disregard that rule and clog up the stairways it can completely block your view depending on where you're sitting.

I think a lot has improved there since the first season. Most of the staff there is beyond friendly which is the total opposite of the dump. The only thing that gets a little aggrivating is how certain things like the exit stairs change on a game-by-game basis with no explanation given.

First issue; A person coming down the isle during play can be for 2 reasons. A, The usher isn't doing their job. Or B, the person has taken too long to get to their seats from the time they were allowed to go down to when the puck dropped. Sometimes it is not the ushers fault but actually the fans for 'taking too long'. And we can't do anything about someone leaving their seat during play.

Second issue; Most stair cases in the building either don't lead to an exit or lead to a restricted area. We can't trust any fan who is leaving that they will actually leave and not check out the restricted area they are passing. I know if I was leaving and had a chance to check something out I would (I snuck into the suite level/ice lounge like that once). Similarly there are also elevators that fans can't take...even elevators that I can't take!

Get a better DJ for the next dance and can we see about extending the lunch period by 10 minutes?

Not familiar with what you're talking about really. But I'll ask if anything can be changed for any dances we have. Most likely a DJ is picked due to price, he might suck but is cheaper than the other guy. And the short lunch periods might be necessary to keep the dance/event running on time.

Less garbage music and more organ music and metal.

I completely agree

The concessions stands (Centerplate) are a completely different identity than the guest services. I can still make mention for them to have their food prepped on time, but I'm sure they'll just say they already do.

Yeah the wait for the whistle would be WONDERFUL

It was also be nice if they didn't insist on checking EVERYONE'S ticket on the way in, I've been going to my seat for 3 years... leave me alone and let me get there :P

(and then when you do check someone's seat don't send the guy with seats 1-3 up the row with seat 25 on the end :rant: that drives me nuts!)

If you've been going to your same seat for 3 years, you can't blame an usher who has never seen you before. If the usher is always there and sees you all the time, they should know by now. However, there is always a chance of you having an empty seat next to you, and telling your friend in the $10 seats to come down and sit there. You go up to him and give him your ticket for him to show to the usher, then you walk down expecting them to know that you're good. I've done that myself also. If you don't want to be bothered by having your ticket checked, the best advice is try to head down with a large group during a rush.

And I agree with not sending a seat 15 through the seat 1 side of the isle. I've had an usher suggest that I go to the other isle. This was also asked of us to do during orientation. I had also explained this theory to another new worker. Either the usher isn't realizing that this should be done, or they're not doing their job correctly.

That is the other thing I couldn't think of. This has been a problem since day 1. It seems like many of the stands are never prepared for intermissions and the lines move excruciatingly slow. One night I couldn't get a pretzel at any stand in the upper level during the 2nd intermission. Some stands ran out, others didn't have any ready. This is just terrible planning and should have been adjusted ages ago. That's the one thing the dump had down to a science.

As I stated, concessions are different from usher. But, everyone should realize that the concession stands are mostly limited to how many meals they can make at once. I understand that if you're 5th in line and they have no more chicken tenders ready, it is kind of ridiculous. But there are also people buying food during game play and right before intermission started. I have no clue how it works back there, but this is my assumption.

Good thing this isn't "How to improve the Devils relationship with the fans" because I am absolutely furious on a few things with them right now.

As I'm sure there are a lot of people who also have grievances with they way they do some things. Until I'm in a better position, I won't be able to address this. But believe me, as a fan, this is definitely something I want to have corrected.

I have seats in the last row of the lower bowl. It's really annoying to have people walking (and running) in the walkway between the last row and the wall during the game, especially when they brush up against your head.

We can't ask someone not to walk through an open walkway, they shouldn't be running, but I'm not even sure if we can tell someone not to run. Obviously we should, but there is doubt they'd actually listen. As far as bumping into your head, again nothing that I think we can do about that.

Yeah, definitely enforcing waiting for the whistle. I missed the Salvador goal against the Rags because of (surprise) a couple Rags fans crawling over people to get to their seats during the middle of play. Chewed out one of the guys, who happened to be like 6'4", so that could've turned out really bad for me. haha

This is most likely the play was about to start by since it hadn't, the usher had to let them go down. And being the dumb ranger fans they are probably took forever to get to their seat because they can't count. And I wouldn't doubt they also did it on purpose. On the other hand, fans want to get to their seat as soon as possible so they too can watch the game. Sometimes they just don't make it there in time though.

I agree, stop insisting on seeing our tickets every time we get up from our seats and come back, it really slows people down getting back before the action starts and it's a major pain when you're carrying food in your hands to put it down and fish your ticket out of your pocket. OK, i can maybe see the first time when you come in, but really only if you look like you don't know where you're going. I know it's probably to stop people who didn't pay for the more expensive seats from sneaking down there but it really is a pain when you practically have to pin your ticket to your chest just so it's available at all times to show the next 1000 people who want to see it. I mean if you were let into the arena in the first place you must have a valid ticket, right?

Go in through the Lafayette Street entrance. It's far less crowded than either tower, because not many people know of it.

I agree, stop insisting on seeing our tickets every time we get up from our seats and come back, it really slows people down getting back before the action starts and it's a major pain when you're carrying food in your hands to put it down and fish your ticket out of your pocket. OK, i can maybe see the first time when you come in, but really only if you look like you don't know where you're going. I know it's probably to stop people who didn't pay for the more expensive seats from sneaking down there but it really is a pain when you practically have to pin your ticket to your chest just so it's available at all times to show the next 1000 people who want to see it. I mean if you were let into the arena in the first place you must have a valid ticket, right?

When I get food I assume I'm going to be asked for my ticket so I always have my ticket sticking out from between my fingers so the usher can just grab it if needed. And of course you would have a valid ticket. But just like you said, we have to make sure you're not sitting in a seat you didn't pay for. I do agree asking each time you go to sit down is ridiculous. An usher should memorize faces in my opinion. But it's still not as a bad as an airport :)

My only thing is just stay happy and excited.. After a win I look forward to my high 5 on the way out.. One of the ushers who is by 226 a lot runs up the isle and high 5's everyone and goes crazy when there is a goal... It's little things like that which go a long way for me and a lot of fans

My only thing is just stay happy and excited.. After a win I look forward to my high 5 on the way out.. One of the ushers who is by 226 a lot runs up the isle and high 5's everyone and goes crazy when there is a goal... It's little things like that which go a long way for me and a lot of fans

EVERY usher is required to give you a high five after a win (not a loss). If an usher doesn't high five you, they can get in trouble.

EVERY usher is required to give you a high five after a win (not a loss). If an usher doesn't high five you, they can get in trouble.

Didn't know that.. Well I think it's great so yeah just be outgoing because it really does make a difference to fans.. If you're ever at 226 say hi :cheers:

Didn't know that.. Well I think it's great so yeah just be outgoing because it really does make a difference to fans.. If you're ever at 226 say hi :cheers:

I remember after a Devils/Rangers game that we lost an usher was chanting lets go rangers with all the fans...I was hoping he would get fired...which he probably did. But yeah, excitable atmosphere is something we need to help create. We can chant and cheer along but we can't use profanity, so we can do the you suck or rangers suck and stuff like that. If I ever get fired from this job, it will either be because I'm watching the game and not paying attention to my job, or because I get too excited :)