Ilya savors playoff victory No. 1

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/first_time_charm_XLA3Dn9240JbJGwurut9yM

"I knew we were going to win," Kovalchuk said. "There was no doubt in my mind when I came to the rink."

When it had ended, when Kovalchuk had broken his NHL playoff maiden, the congenial 27-year-old first joked that he should "get a puck" as a trophy before getting to the point.

"I can't wait to win a series," he said, sounding like a Devil. "A game is good, but I want to win a series."

Wow, a positive article on the Devils by Brooks! I fully expected him to sneak a line about the Rangers going after Kovy in the offseason or something about 1994 again. I'm surprised. Give credit to him.

He's so happy to be away from Torts we got a pass :lol:

Wow, a positive article on the Devils by Brooks! I fully expected him to sneak a line about the Rangers going after Kovy in the offseason or something about 1994 again. I'm surprised. Give credit to him.

"Kovalchuk, who will most likely be a Ranger July 1st, won his first playoff game last night. Coincidentally, Mark Messier won 16 playoff games all by himself in 1994, including a double overtime win against the Devils that he allowed to be credited to Stephane Matteau."

iyla is awesome...he helps in so many little ways...fans have to open up to this guy a little...on greene's awesome read goal...iyla was key to making it happen for example

I hate to hijack the Ilya topic, but you got to give credit to how awesome Greene is playing above his billing. I treated my parents to the game the other night and my mother (huge Greene fan, wearing her signed Andy jersey), noted how Greene was directing the traffic just before that goal. When I watched the highlights online when I got home, I actually did see Greene pointing to Ilya where to go, then sliding into the slot and scoring the goal, and this isn't the first time I've seen him directing traffic out there. All in all, I also see him as an upcoming, if not current leader on this great team.

I hate to hijack the Ilya topic, but you got to give credit to how awesome Greene is playing above his billing. I treated my parents to the game the other night and my mother (huge Greene fan, wearing her signed Andy jersey), noted how Greene was directing the traffic just before that goal. When I watched the highlights online when I got home, I actually did see Greene pointing to Ilya where to go, then sliding into the slot and scoring the goal, and this isn't the first time I've seen him directing traffic out there. All in all, I also see him as an upcoming, if not current leader on this great team.

You also can't forget the 2 huge clears he made on a PK not too long before that goal. I actually remarked to a friend who was at the game with me that that was the best shift for any individual devil up until that point in the game. That was also a subtle turning point in the game too if you ask me.

Kovi is amazing, but I dsonot think he is comfortable yet, possibly because Lemaire chacnges his linemates way too much??

I love his energy, he hits everything.... hit shot is amazing, and it will start to light the lamo as long as he kees shooting...

the PP is the 1 thing that i thought he would have an immdeiate impact on, and he really has not, its been really hard to watch the PP, we are back to the point where I wish the Devs would decline the penalties...