My View on the 2009-2010 Devils....and looking forward....(LONG)

ThreeCups

OK so I had to take some time to cool down before posting this. Some of you will agree with some of it, and some of you will disagree. But here it is:

PLAYOFFS: We just did not show up for the Playoffs. As much as it hurts to say, we came out flat and never looked hungry aside from Game 2. The Flyers just took it to us and we had no answer. The Flyers started playing well at the right time, and we started playing like sh!t at the wrong time. They also came into the series with an excellent game plan, and executed it to perfection. Forecheck the hell out of us and make us pay. Send pucks towards Marty from angles and keep your forwards skating all over the place and confuse our mediocre defense. They kept their PK aggressive and made our PP look like dogsh!t. Pressure the puck and do not give anyone time or space to shoot. All of this worked to perfection. Not to mention that we continued our trend of making average goaltenders look like the reincarnation of Patrick Roy circa 1986. Brian Boucher?!?! Really? I still do not think we tested him nearly enough. He made saves when he needed to and all series long, but how many saves did he make where you said to yourself "WOW! I do not believe he saved that!" We had tons of shots right into the crest of his jersey or into his pads, did not make him move laterally enough, and allowed his sloppy rebounds to go unpunished. You simply cannot win a playoff series in the NHL doing all of these things.

Marty: I will also be the first to say that I have been a Marty fan my whole life, and can look at the situation subjectively. He did not play great this series, but he is FAR from the reason we lost. He made tons of amazing saves and kept us in games. If we had any other goaltender in there (especially Game 3) we would have been BLOWN OUT and embarrassed alot worse than we were. To all of the people placing the blame on Marty, wake up. Yes his GAA was 3 for the series, however, he faced tons of quality scoring chances every game, and our PK was non-existent. A good chunk of Philthy's goals came with the man advantage.

The White/Mottau & Greene/Martin defensive pairings: This made NO sense to me whatsoever. It seemed like White and Mottau were out on the ice for nearly every goal against. WHY would a coach put our 2 best defensemen (Greene and Martin- who coincidentally are also our 2 best puck moving defensemen)on the same pairing?!?!? White should have been playing with Greene/Martin and Mottau with the other. This would make alot more sense. A puck mover with a more traditional d-man. But instead we have these 2 pairings, and the results speak for themselves.

The Kovy Experiment: I will be the first to say I was sitting on this forum/Twitter/other websites etc for a few days straight in anticipation of a Kovy deal. I was ecstatic when the deal was announced and loved watching him play here. The guy had a point/game for us during the regular season, and had 6 points in 5 playoff games. I feel like alot of people on here and in the media want to make him the whipping boy and point the finger. He did not have a full season to get acclimated to this new teammates and system. If he returns, a full training camp will benefit him GREATLY. I hope somehow Lou is able to get him resigned, but at this point I am not feeling too good about it. In my opinion, he is a top 5-7 forward in the league, and anytime you have a chance to get/retain a player of his caliber, you must do whatever is in your power to do so. If this means letting Paul Martin walk, then so be it. As valuable as he is, I think another team will overpay for his services. We got by all year without him, and losing him now would not be detrimental. I would prefer to keep him if possible/he will sign at a reasonable rate, but I do not see this being reality. If it came down to giving the cash to Kovy or Martin, I am choosing Kovy.

Jacques: I am indifferent towards Jacques. I do think his constant juggling of lines hurt us tremendously. Players need to stick with linemates and develop chemistry. Shuffling the lines every period/game does not allow this to happen. People were calling for his head at various times throughout the season and throughout the playoffs. Some of it justified I suppose. When it comes down to it, a coach can only do so much. He cannot make players produce. I feel he is partially to blame here, but is not 100% the reason we got smoked by the Flyers. If I had my choice, I would have given him one more season.

The Coaching Carousel that is the New Jersey Devils: Another bad situation for this organization. We all know Lou wants to win the Cup every year, but going through coaches like middle school girls go through "boyfriends" is not the solution. Find the man you want, and STICK WITH HIM. (for at least 3 years) Yes we all want to win NOW, but that is not realistic. With the parity in today's NHL, there are alot of teams who can win in any given year. Some of the names I would like to see considered: Mario Tremblay, John MacLean, Scott Stevens, Ted Nolan. There has also been some other quality candidates mentioned in other posts. Just please give the next guy 2 years minimum. Guys like Zach want some consistency in the coaching department, and they deserve it. Zach is our future captain and leader, and this instability behind the bench does not bode well for keeping #9 as a lifer.

Lineup Going into Next Season: I would like to see some of the dead weight cut. Pando and Nieder, so long. Go younger and start the rebuilding process without throwing a season down the drain. Would like to see:

ZZ Pops- "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!" One of my biggest criticisms of Jacques. Keep these guys together...

Kovy (if he returns)-Elias-Zubrus

Rolston (if we can't trade him)-Pelley?-Clarkson

Rookie?-McAmmond-Leblond (I like what he brings, and he is cheap)-

There are alot of question marks surrounding the forwards. We have alot of guys in Lowell that have shown they can play, and are deserving of a shot next year. I would like to see Tedenby thrown into action to see what he has. Let him learn on the job. Zharkov, Palmieri, Halischuk, Davis, etc, etc are all waiting for their chance. For defense (assuming Martin walks)

I would part with Mottau. I just think it is time we move on. I would keep White, Salvador, Greene and use the rookies Fraser, Corrente and Eckford with Skoula/Salmela as 7th and 8th. Skoula is probably better than some of the rookies at this moment, but they will be the future of our blueline. I would like to see a tough veteran brought in if possible, but that is what I would go with given our current pieces.

It is going to be a long, long offseason and I was not ready to have my Devils' season end so soon. It sucks and I am eagerly looking forward to Training Camp...LET'S GO DEVILS!

Edited by ThreeCups

Very nice writeup, it's always appreciated when someone takes this long to write something on the team we root for. I have two main issues:

1) I don't want Langen'boo-hoo'er back. This is coming from one of his biggest fans-- or who used to be one of his biggest fans. I have 2 langenbrunner jerseys, and one is an edge. This isn't just me saying something to say it: I think, more than anyone, Langenbrunner was the reason we lost in the playoffs. You can't have a captain who acts like he's 4 years old. It's Parise's turn.

2) If we're keeping Kovy, something needs to be done about (see above) Langenbrunner and/or Rolston. With Kovalchuk, we are scary thin on defense. Too thin. I love Kovalchuk... love love love him... but right now I think I'd rather have some actual names to add to our blueline, as hard as it is for me to say that.

Regardless, that was a good read. Thanks for posting it.

I am on the fence about Lags. I was calling for his head a couple of days ago too, but after cooling down a bit (which is why I waited before posting) I think maybe we should bring him back. He is productive when playing with Zach and Zajac. If we can get something decent in a trade for him, I am all for it. But I would not want to trade him just to trade him. If the value is there, I am all for it. I would also love to move Rollie, but with that contract, it seems highly unlikely. Would love him if he was a $2 mill/yr player, but for $5 mill we are being held at gunpoint....

I would like to keep Langenbrunner. During the playoffs and a couple days after I was calling for his head but I think he is a big part of our team. They way he acted was not what you want to see from your captain though and i think after next season it will be Zach's team. As for Kovy, i would love to see him back. For one, how many times does a team get this opportunity to lock up a top 5 forward in the league. Second if you look at the teams to have won a cup since the lockout they all have 2 all star forwards. Pens-Crosby, Malkin. Wings-Zetterberg, Datsyuk. Ducks-Getzlaf, Selanne. Carolina-Stall, Brind'Amour (Not an all star but still put up 70+ points). At this point right now the only forward we have that i could say is an all star player would be Parise. Even Elias isnt the goal scorer he used to be. Locking up Kovy and Parise long term the next 2 years would lokc up the future faces of the franchise long term and enable us to build a team around them once Marty, Elias, and Langs are gone. Also I think Its John MacLean's turn to be the head coach of this team. He's done an excellent job in Lowell this year taking a team that had not made the playoffs in 3 years and producing a team best record. The way this guy knows offense will benefit this team greatly. We all know this team can play defense, what we need is to get the most out of them offensively. A change in philosophy is what this team needs. Playing a defense first system with the defensemen we have in the post lockout NHL is not going to work anymore. I really hope Lou realizes this and can lock Kovy up. Maybe this year we will be up close against the cap but in 2-3 years Marty, Elias, Langs, Rolston, Zubrus all come off the books. So for the off season and next season I am hoping Lou can resign Kovy, try to resign Martin (for the right price) and either send Pandalfo to either the minors or buy-out his contract. We cant be paying 2.5m to a guy that doesnt play half the season. Bring up some of the younger kids (Zharkov, Halischuk) and give them a significant role on the team. Line would look something like this:

ZZ Pops

Kovy-Elias-Halischuk/Zharkov

Clarkson-Zubrus-Halischuk/Zharkov

Leblond-Pelley-Rolston

Good post, i agreed with pretty much everything you said.

LETS GO DEVILS

Well I think that Lou is probably going to be trying to sign Kovy with the idea of getting rid of some players in the summer because you know that Lou ain't going to leave our defense like it is I mean if he can't find a way to dump salaries then I guess Kovalchuk will be out because our D is in need much more than our Offense.

Plus I think that Kovalchuk don't bring anything on the PP if we can't get him a good puck moving D-men.Matter of fact sometime you don't even need the slapper on the PP you just need the puck moving D-men just like the Habs are doing with Markov and they were ranked 2nd best PP in the league.

Right now our PP is so predictable and its one of the reasons we got an early exit in these playoffs...I mean its obvious that when you pass the puck to Kovy on the PP he is going to shoot and that is why Boucher looked so good,we were predictable cuz we were moving the puck like a Pee-wee team that has one tool on her PP(Kovalchuk)

nice recap threecups.

i think that next year's team will have at least 3 new forwards which you really haven't accounted for.

i am torn on the kovy vs. martin decision. i think i can be talked into being happy with either re-signing or neither.

Do you have any specific 3 forwards in mind?

In order to keep Kovalchuk and Martin, maybe get rid of pandolfo and langenbrunner's salary (5.3M combined and trim the cap hit to around 36M to work with). Let's assume the duo combined for a 13M cap hit, the team still has around 8M to re-sign clarkson and other UFAs.

Do you have any specific 3 forwards in mind?

probably more rookies making the jump full time - zharkov, palmieri, halischuk - my assumption is that these three will have to make the team as cap ramification necessitate their playing.

of the existing 12 from the last game of the playoffs:

zajac - here

parise - here

zubrus - here

elias - here

kovalchuk - maybe

langenbrunner - maybe

clarkson - maybe

neidermary - gone

rolston - maybe

pelley - here

mcammond - gone

leblond - here

in my mind, at least 2 of the 4 maybe's are gone to the definite losses of neids and mcammond. that's 4 new players to account for.

I agree with pretty much everything threecups except: 1) the Devils were playing like sh!t since the new year and, 2) the PP sucked all season long.

Regarding the lines, I'm so down on Clarkson right now it's not even funny. If some team offers him $2M today, I'd prefer if the Devils don't match it and take the compensation instead. I'd like to see more of Leblond as well. The Elias experiment at C should cease.

probably more rookies making the jump full time - zharkov, palmieri, halischuk - my assumption is that these three will have to make the team as cap ramification necessitate their playing.

of the existing 12 from the last game of the playoffs:

zajac - here

parise - here

zubrus - here

elias - here

kovalchuk - maybe

langenbrunner - maybe

clarkson - maybe

neidermary - gone

rolston - maybe

pelley - here

mcammond - gone

leblond - here

in my mind, at least 2 of the 4 maybe's are gone to the definite losses of neids and mcammond. that's 4 new players to account for.

I listed the Lowell kids as good possibilities...I would like to see some young blood injected into the lineup

If I had a choice to sign either Kovy or Martin, I would sign Kovy in an instant, even though they both don't make me too thrilled. Clarkson I have mixed feelings about. There are a few games where he is a difference-maker, but that is the same for everyone on the team and Clarkson can disappear for a few games too. I hope they bring up a couple of the rookies to fill in the gaps and if they do not do well this coming season, at least they are getting experience and I think that is a step in the right direction. Langs too can either stay or go too, as I have been disappointed by him and his attitude all season. He is not a captain, and it is time to give it to someone else.

Good post. I will agree with 90% of what was said. I don't agree totally with the assessment of Brodeur. He was one of the three or four players who actually showed up for the series. Marty, Kovy, Zach and even Elias all were fine. In fact, Marty played much better in the post season this year than he had in the last 2 years. He was getting no support, and the goals that did go in were typically not soft ones for the most part.

ThreeCups you should change your signature... 2010 = KOVALFAIL

I don't have the heart to delete it yet...

Good post. I will agree with 90% of what was said. I don't agree totally with the assessment of Brodeur. He was one of the three or four players who actually showed up for the series. Marty, Kovy, Zach and even Elias all were fine. In fact, Marty played much better in the post season this year than he had in the last 2 years. He was getting no support, and the goals that did go in were typically not soft ones for the most part.

I think he played good, but not great. Either way, we had no shot in the series....

Great post, but I disagree about Kovalchuk. I don't fault him as a person, but I get the feeling he's an incredibly talented player who will always be a problem. He wants to be a team player, but his tools don't work. He has questionable vision -- how many times did a puck hit him in the foot when it should have, or he not notice a teammate who was open for a pass. That doesn't mean he didn't make some sick passes or finishes, but he's always going to be flawed. Somebody said during a GDT that he was good for a couple of points a game, but he had to be to make up for the ones he gave up, and I think that's accurate. I know most people don't like basketball, but he reminds me of Iverson, who was an underrated teammate, because his skill set was a lousy fit for a good team. He tried, and he was a special talent, but after a couple years, it was obvious to any fan that he was never going to win a title. If we keep Kovie, I get the feeling he'll be a stud, and a perennial all star, but we'll always get beaten by an elite team (I'm not talking about the Philly debacle, this wasn't Kovie's fault). It sucks how much we gave up to get Kovie to lose in the first round, but I think we'll be better off if we suck it up and let him go. I'd like to keep Martin, especially if we lose Kovie, but we could afford to lose him. I agree that we need another elite forward to help Zach. I just don't think Kovie's the answer.

nice post...

i agree the devils have to try and retain kovalchuck...yes even if it means martin walks.

Would like to see Corrente, Fraser, and Eckford all in the top 6 next year.

Also agree the way lemaire and tremblay ran the defence during the flyers series was insane!

Mottau is a really nice guy...but the devils should never have used him like they did!

He's a 3rd pairing guy that should be getting 12-15 minutes a game...that's what he is! not the 22 minutes a game he got all season.

yet they shoved him out there in all these key situations with whitey who for all we know only has decent sight in one eye...

The devils defence the last few years has been retarded...plain and simple! The white/mottau combo was just a painful mess could not stand it all year...made me sick.

Great post, but I disagree about Kovalchuk. I don't fault him as a person, but I get the feeling he's an incredibly talented player who will always be a problem. He wants to be a team player, but his tools don't work. He has questionable vision -- how many times did a puck hit him in the foot when it should have, or he not notice a teammate who was open for a pass. That doesn't mean he didn't make some sick passes or finishes, but he's always going to be flawed. Somebody said during a GDT that he was good for a couple of points a game, but he had to be to make up for the ones he gave up, and I think that's accurate. I know most people don't like basketball, but he reminds me of Iverson, who was an underrated teammate, because his skill set was a lousy fit for a good team. He tried, and he was a special talent, but after a couple years, it was obvious to any fan that he was never going to win a title. If we keep Kovie, I get the feeling he'll be a stud, and a perennial all star, but we'll always get beaten by an elite team (I'm not talking about the Philly debacle, this wasn't Kovie's fault). It sucks how much we gave up to get Kovie to lose in the first round, but I think we'll be better off if we suck it up and let him go. I'd like to keep Martin, especially if we lose Kovie, but we could afford to lose him. I agree that we need another elite forward to help Zach. I just don't think Kovie's the answer.

I am still not sure what we gave up to get Kovie was valuable. I think out of all the things we gave up, the one that hurts the most is the first round pick. Oduya was overpaid and was being driven out of town by the fans, Bergfors at times looked to be the scorer we need for the future, but he looked a little soft and was less than enthusiatic about playing defense. Finally, I do not need to go into Cromier as having talent or not, he was someone with whom the devils needed to purge for the sake of the organization's integrity.