Devils Pick Up Rasmussen

sammyk

Devils pick up Rasmussen

Canadian Press

7/25/2003

The New Jersey Devils have picked up free agent Erik Rasmussen.

Rasmussen, who made $1.1 million, last season with Los Angeles, became an unrestricted free agent after the Kings didn't give him a qualifying offer.

``Erik brings size, strength, and skill to our organization,'' said Devils GM Lou Lamoriello. ``He is young, yet experienced, and gives our hockey club depth up front.''

Rasmussen, 26, posted four goals and 12 assists with 28 penalty minutes in 57 games last season. He was acquired by the Kings from Buffalo on July 24, 2002.

The six-foot-three, 210-pound forward has 37 goals and 58 assists with 207 penalty minutes in 338 career games.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, what the hell is up with these UFA signings?

``Erik brings size, strength, and skill to our organization,'' said Devils GM Lou Lamoriello. ``He is young, yet experienced, and gives our hockey club depth up front.

sort of what he said about Brown, only Brown gives us depth on the blue line.

2 UFA signings in 2 days, what is wrong with Lou? Please someone find out, im concerned.

He this also shows that Lou may not have much faith in Rupp's ability to step into the lineup. He has already stated that he wont throw Rupp into a 2nd line role without other experience, well there just went the 4th line center role.

This also makes me wonder if Lou has a deal on the table for a center involving players and kids now. Ah speculation how i hate it.

another grinder/banger. not sure where this guy fits unless newy's gone and younger forwards like bicek, rupp don't impress enough to keep a roster spot.

lines (w/newy)

elias-gomez-marshall

langer-newy-freisen

pando-madden-brylin

stevenson-rheaume-gionta

that leaves: bicek, rupp, rasmussen, guolla, berglund to fight for spots

stevens-rafalski

neider-white

brown-hale-dimarchi-giroux

looking at that, i would say that newy is an important signing, because without him, rupp plugs into his hole (and i use that word because it would definately be a hole).

These signings are strange. I like this guy, I thought he did a good job with the Kings. He is the type of player that when given a role can be quite effective. He should fit in well with the Devils.

I wonder if he's a pickup to be used as a fill-in for when Stevenson will inevitably get hurt this season... :(

Hey! Take that back! Don't go rippin' Turner or I will have to unleash the President of the Turner Stevenson "he played for me in juniors" Fan Club on you...Barry Melrose will give you a beat-down for talkin' like that...as for my two cents on my boy Turner...go check the Devils record for the games he played in during the ECF and the Cup versus those he had to sit out...

*sigh* . . .

still waiting for the one signing I really want to see . . . . soon, please!

Don't worry, you aren't the only one.

I don't know much about this guy but I have heard his name quite a bit.

I sorta wanto to see it too, but...

...are you hoping against hope (and history and perhaps Uncle Lou's better judgement)?

Hard to say what's behind Lou's thinking here. Maybe this does say Rheaume won't be coming back, which I don't necessarily like. I hope this isn't insurance for Nieuwy leaving, becuase there is no way Rasmussen can step into the second line center role. Or maybe as somebody else stated Lou is just getting some chips in place to pull off a deal, anything is possible at the moment.