McKenna,Frazee

robdeselich88

First question will be answered with new coach is how he tends to use marty this season. I still think he can play 60- 70 games a year, but if he doesn't plan on that then our backup will be important.

i think it has been said but i like Mckenna. He had a good year in Lowell, and he is signed for next season. He has showed "signs" of a good goalie but has bounced around a bit. What do you guys think?

MCKENNA- 6'2 190- 27 YRS/OLD

48 GP- 119 GA- 2.47 GAA- .920 SV%

in his only year in the NHL with tampa in 07... 15 GP .857 SV%

And just for a comparison Jeff Frazee- 6'0 184 pounds 23 yrs/old

30 GP- 83 GA- 2.80 GAA- .910 SV%

I don't hear anybody in the Devils organization saying Marty is going to play less next season. Lou said it but he is just screwing with everyone. Marty is a favorite to lead the league in wins and shutouts again next year.

Edited by ben00rs

Neither will back up Brodeur next season. The Devils and Brodeur need a proven veteran goalie that can play 15-20 games behind Brodeur. Brodeur cannot be playing 70+ games next season.

i would love to see the devils try to sign johan hedberg

Neither will back up Brodeur next season. The Devils and Brodeur need a proven veteran goalie that can play 15-20 games behind Brodeur. Brodeur cannot be playing 70+ games next season.

Whether Brodeur should or shoudn't be playing 70+ games next year, it will be up to him how much he plays. And I think he'll want to play everyday. His GP total I don't think will hit the high 70's next year, but 70-73 games is very likely.

Whether Brodeur should or shoudn't be playing 70+ games next year, it will be up to him how much he plays. And I think he'll want to play everyday. His GP total I don't think will hit the high 70's next year, but 70-73 games is very likely.

Not if the Devils get a coach (Haviland, Carbonneau, Bouucher) with a pair of balls and tells Brodeur you are sitting some games out for the other veteran goalie that is capable of winning games. LOL!

Still, 70-73 games is way too much for Brodeur, who will be 38 years old on May 6th. More like 65-67 games tops with the back up getting at least 15-17 starts.

Edited by SatansDevils

Noy if the Devils get a coach with a pair of balls and tells Brodeur you are sitting some games out for the other veteran goalie that is capable of winning games. LOL!

Still, 70-73 games is way too much for Brodeur, who will be 38 years old on May 6th. More like 65-67 games tops with the back up getting at least 15-17 starts.

I agree 65-67 games is logical for Brodeur. Those saying 60 are overplaying the age factor and those saying 70's are underplaying it. However, there is no way they get a head coach that has the balls to tell Brodeur he is sitting. Everyone else in the organization will be on Brodeur's side. Just like Stevens will be an assistant coach next year because even if the new HC wants his own staff, the Devils staff will say he has no choice. A head coach telling Brodeur to sit will only create tension between Brodeur and the coach and we don't need that (and the next coach will realize that). If J Mac gets the job there's no way Brodeur sits, if an experienced NHL coach gets the job he might try to sit Brodeur, but it ain't happenin'.

Here are the upcoming UFA goalies... (list only includes players who were on an NHL roster at some point this season)

UFA Goalies

WADE DUBIELWICZ!!! Sorry, I love that guy.

Well, for Marty back up it's probably between... Dan Ellis, Hedberg, Joey MacDonald, Dubie, Niittymaki (in line for a raise though), Mike Brodeur(!!), Yann Danis, Raycroft, Leighton (also due for a raise).

With some of the names there, it wouldn't shock me to see them let McKenna have a shot and give Frazee a chance to right himself in the AHL. I don't think Frazee ever recovered from that throat slash he got in the preseason.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Thanks for the list Dan.

I would not mind seeing Hedberg, Dubielwicz, Ellis, Nittymakki, Valiquette or Raycroft back up Brodeur next season.

Hedberg is going to look for a team with a questionable goalie, so he can steal ice time aand maybe a starting job. Same with Raycroft and Nittymaki. Valiquette I would like if he was 500k (which he isn't). I'd rather stick with Danis, unless he wants more ice time then let's give McKenna a shot.

Edited by ben00rs

That would be hilarious if Mike Brodeur backed up Marty next season. What's wrong with Danis? He did a very good job this season when he got to play.

I don't know if Danis would want to come back. I like him a lot, but if he can find a team that will let him play I'd expect him to go there.

there is no reason for brodeur to play less than 70 games, he played his best hockey in 5 years this season.

+1 and no one on the Devils' staff is saying he will (play less than 70). Referring to my earlier posts: no coach will tell Brodeur he can't play every night, it's Marty's call.

whoever the backup is next year, they HAVE to start playing him more than 5 games a season or when marty has a bad night. we're like the only team that depends almost solely on ONE goalie. You can never guarantee we won't have a situation where marty has a season or career ending injury and then we're screwed. You can almost bet we wouldn't be lucky enough to have another clemmensen that with little game experience all year can come in and keep us going...

whoever the backup is next year, they HAVE to start playing him more than 5 games a season or when marty has a bad night. we're like the only team that depends almost solely on ONE goalie.

Eh, the Rags, Flames, Aves, Sharks, Coyotes, Kings, Canucks and Sabres all pretty much rely on one goalie.

Eh, the Rags, Flames, Aves, Sharks, Coyotes, Kings, Canucks and Sabres all pretty much rely on one goalie.

Right. And I'm sorry but depending on one goalie to win is working for us...actually Brodeur needs to play a liitle less but it's a very minor detail.

Right. And I'm sorry but depending on one goalie to win is working for us...actually Brodeur needs to play a liitle less but it's a very minor detail.

Oh, I agree. I would like him playing maybe 5-7 less games a year, but if he can play like he did this year then let him play.