Favorite albums

Par9

Yes!

Kinda surprised I haven't seen this one yet, but how about Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.?

Do I suck because I liked Make Yourself better?

Also, just picked up the new The National album, High Violet. I can totally see it being a favorite album already, some really really pretty, heartbreaking, good songs and I'm less than halfway through.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and if you have Billy Joel in the car to sing to in secret I think you just covered about every dude in my graduating class. and I'd wager you think back and say "Why did I ever like Richard Marks ... where did I put that Cd anyhow?" he mutters sheepishly. and Facebook has taught me those same guys now like Hannah Montana too! :evil: IF they have daughters....

Wow, you had "dudes" in your class who liked Anita Baker?

No Richard Marx CD in my house or car .... not that there's anything wrong with that!

Do I suck because I liked Make Yourself better?

haha Nah, just different tastes.

I think music is funny in a way because I could sit here and list 50 things that I absolutely love about S.C.I.E.N.C.E., and someone could find me another album by another band with all 50 of those qualities and it's possible I could absolutely hate it. There isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to musical taste, IMO ... it either connects with you or it doesn't.

FWIW, The Fake Sound Of Progress by LostProphets is as close as I've heard anyone come to replicating the energy and originality I heard on S.C.I.E.N.C.E., and I think it's ironic that LostProphets sold out almost as quickly as Incubus did :lol:

haha Nah, just different tastes.

I think music is funny in a way because I could sit here and list 50 things that I absolutely love about S.C.I.E.N.C.E., and someone could find me another album by another band with all 50 of those qualities and it's possible I could absolutely hate it. There isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to musical taste, IMO ... it either connects with you or it doesn't.

FWIW, The Fake Sound Of Progress by LostProphets is as close as I've heard anyone come to replicating the energy and originality I heard on S.C.I.E.N.C.E., and I think it's ironic that LostProphets sold out almost as quickly as Incubus did :lol:

That's very weird, because I just went on a CD ripping spree that started with that Lostprophets album. (Also, not gonna lie, LOVED Last Train Home and Last Summer, though almost like it was made by an entirely different band).

The Fake Sound Of Progress was a great album though. A handful of songs that I skip, but there is no more awesome a riff in 2000s modern rock than the intro to Kobrakai. I usually just play the first minute of that song over and over and skip the rest of it. :lol:

That's very weird, because I just went on a CD ripping spree that started with that Lostprophets album. (Also, not gonna lie, LOVED Last Train Home and Last Summer, though almost like it was made by an entirely different band).

The Fake Sound Of Progress was a great album though. A handful of songs that I skip, but there is no more awesome a riff in 2000s modern rock than the intro to Kobrakai. I usually just play the first minute of that song over and over and skip the rest of it. :lol:

I view Start Something much the same way I view Make Yourself. I like some songs, REALLY like others, and skip the rest. We Still Kill The Old Way, To Hell We Ride, Burn Burn ... I freakin love these songs the same way I like Privelege, Pardon Me and the title track Make Yourself.

But whatever album came out after Start Something ... ugh. I listened to it once, brimming with anticipation, and was wholeheartedly let down. Sorta like I've been with everything since Make Yourself.

Also, LostProphets were unbelievable on their Start Something tour. Their grand finale was Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja, and before the song started they divided up the crowd right down the middle and had us press as far up along the side walls as possible. Then, as soon as the song kicked in after the brief intro, we charged each other like a scene out of Braveheart. Freakin awesome.

I view Start Something much the same way I view Make Yourself. I like some songs, REALLY like others, and skip the rest. We Still Kill The Old Way, To Hell We Ride, Burn Burn ... I freakin love these songs the same way I like Privelege, Pardon Me and the title track Make Yourself.

But whatever album came out after Start Something ... ugh. I listened to it once, brimming with anticipation, and was wholeheartedly let down. Sorta like I've been with everything since Make Yourself.

Also, LostProphets were unbelievable on their Start Something tour. Their grand finale was Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja, and before the song started they divided up the crowd right down the middle and had us press as far up along the side walls as possible. Then, as soon as the song kicked in after the brief intro, we charged each other like a scene out of Braveheart. Freakin awesome.

Ah, the Wall of Death. I remember Chimera did that at Ozzfest one year I went ('03, I think? sh!t, I'm getting old). Thought I was gonna die.

I actually saw and first got into Lostprophets the year before at Ozzfest. The show I went to that year was in Scranton and it was the first show of the tour (the first handful got canceled because Ozzy was sick). They had terrible mechanical issues with their guitars and setup, and wound up playing like three songs and telling jokes the rest of the time while their crew worked on the problems. Funny guys.

I never even gave the album after Start Something a chance, the single was god awful. But a friend burned Last Summer for me a few weeks ago and I dug it.

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism

WIN! That is an awesome album. Plans is also one of my favorites.

As for me, I have so many favorite albums... ugh.

Something Corporate - Leaving Through The Window

Weezer - Blue Album

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers (this album can get my pumped no matter what)

New Found Glory - self titled

The Ataris - End is Forever

Juliana Theory - Emotion is Dead

Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

The Loved Ones - Keep Your Heart

Mae - The Everglow (YAY I was won over!)

Midtown - Living Well is the Best Revenge

The Movielife - Forty Hour Train Back to Penn

Saosin - self titled

Saves the Day - Through Being Cool

This isn't even half the list and I could keep going on.

WIN! That is an awesome album. Plans is also one of my favorites.

As for me, I have so many favorite albums... ugh.

Something Corporate - Leaving Through The Window

Weezer - Blue Album

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers (this album can get my pumped no matter what)

New Found Glory - self titled

The Ataris - End is Forever

Juliana Theory - Emotion is Dead

Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

The Loved Ones - Keep Your Heart

Mae - The Everglow (YAY I was won over!)

Midtown - Living Well is the Best Revenge

The Movielife - Forty Hour Train Back to Penn

Saosin - self titled

This isn't even half the list and I could keep going on.

Through Being Cool is amazing!!! Such a fun Album.... Was just vacationing in Hawaii and me and 3 friends had that blasting on a ride around the coast (after seeing the volcanoes, and the rain forests).

Can't Slow Down and Stay What You Are, are great as well, but TBC is the best!

Loved Ones are great as well.

Fav Albums for me would be... In no order

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Pink Floud - Wish You Were Here

Radiohead - OK Computer

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Radiohead - Kid A

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadaus Phoenix (not time tested, but i think it will remain great in years to come...one of the best live bands)

Daft Punk - Discovery

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadaus Phoenix (not time tested, but i think it will remain great in years to come...one of the best live bands)

That makes me EXTREMELY happy to hear. I just picked up the album finally, and I'll be seeing them this summer at Lollapalooza. They're headlining and playing at the same time Green Day is playing on the other stage, and I was kind of having a difficult time deciding who I'd rather see, but was leaning towards Phoenix. Knowing that they're a great live band may seal it.

I'm also having a tough time picking between Arcade Fire and Soundgarden. I'm not a HUGE fan of either but I like them both. I think one of the friends I'm going with is a big Soundgarden fan though, so I think we'll wind up catching their set.

That makes me EXTREMELY happy to hear. I just picked up the album finally, and I'll be seeing them this summer at Lollapalooza. They're headlining and playing at the same time Green Day is playing on the other stage, and I was kind of having a difficult time deciding who I'd rather see, but was leaning towards Phoenix. Knowing that they're a great live band may seal it.

I'm also having a tough time picking between Arcade Fire and Soundgarden. I'm not a HUGE fan of either but I like them both. I think one of the friends I'm going with is a big Soundgarden fan though, so I think we'll wind up catching their set.

I've seen them twice. Once at Central Park and once at another venue in NYC. Both were amazing shows. So much fun, and they sound great. They play their songs slightly different live so it's a unique experience. Rome is very cool live.

Soundgarden would be cool but Arcade fire is in their "prime." I'd go with them.

Okay.... how exactly do I measure "favorite"? Most songs that I like, or most songs that I REALLY like?

Bruce Cockburn - Waiting for a Miracle - FIFTEEN 5 star songs.

Faith No More - The Real Thing - almost a perfect album. Love every song.

Soundtrack to "Pump up the Volume" - An eclectic collection of songs that just works... I could listen to this album every day of my life and not get bored. Concrete Blonde covering Leonard Cohen gives massive bonus points.

Zeppelin IV - 7 5 star songs. I'd give some of these songs 7 or 8 stars if iTunes went that high.

Leonard Cohen - Songs from a Room - Bird on a Wire, Story of Isaac, Lady Midnight.... really one of his best albums.

Nirvana - Nevermind and Unplugged - Say what you want about Kurt Cobain, he and Grohl were talented musicians

Papa Brittle - Obey, Consume, Marry, Reproduce - British dance protest music? Whatever, it works....

R.E.M. - Document - 47 stars in all. Finest Worksong, The One I Love, End of the World as We Know It... awesome album

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine - Their first and best album. Not a single bad song on the album

Reba McEntire - Greatest Hits, Volume 2 - 9 4 star songs. Rumour Has It, Fancy, great stuff...

Sarah Brightman - Dive - I love Sarah B, but Dive was her first solo album and I love each and every track on the album

Sarah McLachlan - Solace - Her second album was the first to catch my attention. Drawn to the Rythm, Into the Fire, and of course Path of Thorns

Suzanne Vega - 99.9F - I can't believe my brother gave me this album because "it sucked'. The artist best known for "Tom's Diner" and "Luka" can really rock.

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman - Unbelievable artist, but nothing tops her first album. I get chills listening to almost any song on this album.

Now these are certainly some of my favorite artists, but not all. Some like Neil Young, Don Henley, Consolidated have all got more songs in my collection than, say, Faith No More... but on all their albums there were always a few tracks that I didn't like and have thus removed them from my ITunes collection. The ones listed above were near perfect gems, which is really, really rare. Though Reba and Cockburn were cheats since they were greatest hits albums, still... a lot of artists have greatest hit albums with a lot of garbage filler.

Alkaline Trio - goddamnit

Jawbreaker - Dear You

The Bouncing souls - Hopeless Romantic, Summer Vacation, Anchors Aweigh, or the Gold Record, hard to choose

anti-flag - for blood and empire

The gaslight anthem - American Slang

Man overboard - Before we met

Take off your pants and jacket/untitled

jimmy eat world - clarity

sum 41 - chuck

I guess we're talking all-time? Okay.

No order.

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On?

Oasis - Definitely Maybe & What's The Story Morning Glory

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Radiohead - OK Computer

The Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, A Hard Day's Night, Abbey Road

James Brown - Love Power Peace - Live At the Olympia 1971

Richard Hawley - Lady's Bridge

Asobi Seksu - Rewolf

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career

Candie Payne - I Wish I Could Have Loved You More

The Coral - Roots & Echoes

Mistake. See Arcade Fire! I'm seeing them in just over a week and can't wait.

Mistake. See Arcade Fire! I'm seeing them in just over a week and can't wait.

What I think we'll wind up doing is, The National play right before Arcade Fire on a different stage but the same side of the park, and we're DEFINITELY seeing The National. So I'll probably catch a bit of Arcade Fire before heading up to see Soundgarden.

It's a little disappointing, alot of the bands I want to see are playing simultaneously (Hockey/Minus The Bear, Semi Precious Weapons/Devo, MGMT/Temper Trap). Guess it's the price you pay for 100-odd bands in one weekend.