Colorado

MissionHockey

Yes Colorado has 6 topline forwards yet they lose 2-1 to a more physical St. Louis offense. I think they might have uncovered a weakness in that high powered offense. They have no clear power forward. St. Louis just beat them up in front of the net and in the corners. They may be flashy, but they could be pushed around, or so it seems. If we could bump them around a little bit when we play them, we have a good chance to win. I think the team is fast enough to keep up with them.

They have no clear power forward.

I think you're onto something. However, I *do* believe Peter Forsberg is a power forward.

Yes but they style of play isn't much like a traditional power forward. You know, going in front of the net trying to get deflections, thumping hits, etc. They did try to be too cute with the puck. Their pp is amazing but they don't shoot as much as they could.

Colorado is very overrated.

Yes, they have two great skating lines: but 3 and 4 are poor.

Defense other than Foote is pretty poor. Blake and Morris are caught out of position far too many times. Tckucks goal last night was a standard goal against Colorado nice odd man rush.

If you throw the puck in Blakes corner, chances are he will cough it up pretty easily. Everyone seems to do that in the playoffs against Blake with alot of success.

Goaltending: Abby is underrated, but not Roy. Roy made an average defense look good. Without Roy, Aebisher will get tons of blame when the Av's end up as the 4 or 5th seed instead of #1 like everyone seems to be prediciting.

Colorado might be lacking a powerforward, but they've got Worrell coming back eventually. He should keep other teams in line to an extent.

As for their D, it's not as poor as some make it out to be, but it can be exploited.

And Aebischer? He's looked good so far, could be the Marty Turco of 2003-2004, but I wonder how he'll hold up when he's about 30 or 40 games into the season and still starting.

Defense other than Foote is pretty poor. Blake and Morris are caught out of position far too many times.

I totally agree! I just don't get the Blake lovefest -- yeah yeah I GET it but I just don't value what he brings to the defensive table. Foote.. I hate him but he's good <_<I guess... I do not mean to be complimenting the guy here, but he's the one guy who is more irritating than Stevens! Stevens is good clean irritating, though he kind of pushed the shove envelope. But Foote's clutching and grabbing just destroys his game for me! It's dishonorable -- it's CHEATING doggoneit! But you know the mere fact he makes me so angry probably means he's good... <_<I guess... :rolleyes:

Foote is a great player, but he gets injured a lot.

Abeschier is a great backup but shouldn't be a starting goalie, this might really hurt the Avs offense if they need to play really conservative on his part.

My guess is that Pierre will make a move to get a decent starting goalie by the time playoffs roll around. Be prepared to hear more rumors of Tanguay and Skoula to be shopped.

Do you think they would trade Tanguay? He had a pretty good year last year. I think getting Kariya and Selanne were good moves, I mean its only one game and Abe-whatever is pretty good young goalie and he really wasn't bad in the game. I do think that they have to get defensemen down the road. Scoring isn't everything, its something, if it was everything would the Pens have beaten the devs and gone on to face the Avs in 2001? And of course the rangers would have gone to the playoffs by now. That Pens team had two great lines, but if they ever get shutdown, as they were, then you have nothing left. I think Colorado has way more talent on the defense and goalie wise theres potential, I was just trying to make a reference. I think I would pick this team to go to the SC finals, but certainly not a surefire bet. If they faced the Devils or the Senators I think they would lose. Way too early for these predictions. :unsure:

Yea and Foote is pretty good, I mean I would take him, not ahead of Stevens though. :ph34r:

Edited by Deathlock

Tanguay changed his number to 18 for some reason. Not sure why but I certainly was confused by it.

I agree with what Mission said regarding the skilled Avs. But the one thing I have noticed is that Forsberg, Sakic and Hejduk can play against the physicality. Their above average skating and quick passes seems to eliminate the turnovers you see. And Kariya and Selanne seem to be fitting in already.

Yea he was pretty awesome, hopefully for him he can prove to them this year that he is the best goalie for them. Brent Johnson is ok but when Osgood plays likes he's capable he can be pretty good, not at the elite level of Marty :evil: , but a goalie capable of helping this team move far into the playoffs. Hopefully he won't lose his confidence.

Tanguay changed his number to 18 for some reason. Not sure why but I certainly was confused by it.

I agree with what Mission said regarding the skilled Avs. But the one thing I have noticed is that Forsberg, Sakic and Hejduk can play against the physicality. Their above average skating and quick passes seems to eliminate the turnovers you see. And Kariya and Selanne seem to be fitting in already.

So was I but then again i never thought number 40 was much of a scorers number anyway.

Anyway, I'm talking about their weakness downlow with garbage goals. I have a feeling if you say Tkachuks first goal, that goal will be happening a lot to the Avalanche. Especially against the Eastern conference. I have a feeling the Stars will be own them this year. Plus I don't think they are good enough defensively to play against the top lines. I think Thornton will have a big game whenever he plays them.

I have a feeling the Stars will be own them this year.

I like your thinking!

The last meaningful meeting between these 2 teams was the WCF 2000. The Stars are a totally different team. I'd like to think we still have their number, but we'll see.

I agree that both teams are different. The Avs got beat by the Stars because they really lacked the physical presense that Stars had. I thought Hitchcock did a great job matching his team up against the Avs. Belfour who was the biggest pain of them for the Avs is gone as well. The Avs are more loaded on skill, but have only have plus Blake and Hinote as a more physical players. The year the Avs won the cup, they had many more physical players then they have now. Klemm, Miller are all gone. Ville nem... er (whatever his name) is gone and he was a guy besides Hinote who could get under the other teams skin.

Last night was just the beginning of the season, but the Avs looked like the teams in years past that had tons of skill, but dissappeared when the other team started roughing them up. Giving them a huge pat on the back for a great win against Chicago was a joke. Chicago doesn't have the type of team to match up against the Avs. St Louis is quite possible the most physical team in the west. They could beat the Avs in the playoffs if they didn't take stupid penalties like two years ago.

So was I but then again i never thought number 40 was much of a scorers number anyway.

Anyway, I'm talking about their weakness downlow with garbage goals. I have a feeling if you say Tkachuks first goal, that goal will be happening a lot to the Avalanche. Especially against the Eastern conference. I have a feeling the Stars will be own them this year. Plus I don't think they are good enough defensively to play against the top lines. I think Thornton will have a big game whenever he plays them.

Yeah, I agree with that assessment. They don't have imposing checking forwards and do lack some size. Plus their only great defensive D-man is Foote. Blake isn't what he was with the Kings in his own end and Morris is soft for his size. Plus no De Vries. I think more teams will look to impose their will on Colorado's D.

Its one game, give me a damn break. They are the best team in the NHL and if not for a heroic game by osgood they would be 2 and 0. Forsberg is a PF btw, the guy does everything, fights down low, can take a beating in front.

Abby should be a starting goaltender, why not, the guy was amazing for the swiss at the WJC back in his junior days. He had a SO in his first game and was good in his 2nd. Colorado isn't tough but neither was Detroit when they won the cup back to back. Blake, Morris, Foote, Skoula, and Skrastins is a very good top 5. Skoula was out vs St Louis with an injury also.

This team is Cup favorite in the west and tied with Ottawa as Cup favorites in the NHL.