Devils-Avalanche Game Thread

NJDevs4978

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just caught the highlights now....

I dunno if I like White in the slot. (-: It worked, but Colin shouldn't be the guy in the slot. (-:

"And Friesen fires an easy wrister right by Abisher. Yes, you can tell, that ain't no Patty Roy."

Earlier, when I said I'd watch the Canadiens kick some Ranger ass....

..... obviously I meant watch the Rangers kick some Canadien ass.

--------------------------------

And we call Pittsburgh an AHL team. Montreal has been outscored 17-4 over the last 5 games. If the Rangers can kick yer ass, it's time to throw in the towel.

I just caught the highlights now....

I dunno if I like White in the slot. (-: It worked, but Colin shouldn't be the guy in the slot. (-:

"And Friesen fires an easy wrister right by Abisher. Yes, you can tell, that ain't no Patty Roy."

That was a scrambly play players falling all over the ice everyone out of position, White took a gamble but it paid off. The Devils had possesion of the puck when he broke so there was minimal risk at least from where I was sitting.

Regarding the linesman = he got hit in the side of the head, took a bunch of stitches. Ended up at the hospital later, according to Doc.

And you guys can thank me later - this was the 2nd game in a row I got to watch the whole game. Two good games! :lol:

Edited by Nieuwy25

It's been said time and time again that the Devils style of play is boring. Boring or not, they win. But the past two games have been full of excitement generated by both the Devils and the opposing team. This afternoon, the Devils took on the Colorado Avalanche in their second game of their 4 game home stretch. They also got their third straight win, and only their second win at home.

Although the action increased as the game wore on, the first period was certainly nut a lull in activity on the ice. It wasn't until about a minute and a half left in the first that Colorado's Joe Sakic got on the board. The Devils fans in the Continental Airline Arena quieted for about a minute; less then 60 seconds later, Scott Niedermayer made a diving play to tip a rebound over Avalanche's young goaltender David Aebischer. The game was tied at 1 a piece for 30 seconds, until Colorado's Alex Tanguay scored with 3 seconds left to deflate the Devils excitement in their recently acquired goal.

The next twenty minutes was possibly the most important moment of the game for both teams, as they both have had difficulty in the 3rd period this season. The only goal of the period was scored halfway through by the Devils to tie the game up yet again, this time at 2 a piece. The goal came at a scramble in front of the Colorado net. Scott Gomez, who skated to Aebischer's left, happened to be in the right place at the right time. The rebound came to him easily, and Gomez just wristed it into the back of the net. The goal came just as a Devils power play came to an end. Although the goal was not scored as being a power play goal, the Devils were still in their power play positions.

Tempers started to rage a little more. Scott Gomez, after being blindsided and flipped head over heal, took a 4 minute penalty, 2 for Roughing and 2 for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Although many would say the penalty was justified after what was done to him, it put the Devils in a difficult position, on the penalty kill for 4 minutes. When the Devils and Martin Brodeur killed off the penalty, Colorado became a little more frustrated, as the fans stood and clapped.

The roughness did not pursue into the third period as much as one would think. The hits were getting harder and teams played aggressively; however both the Devils and the Avalanche kept in mind that one or two bad penalties could put their team at a serious disadvantage, and could possibly cost them the game. One obstruction hooking penalty was assessed to Colorado, but nothing the Devils could take advantage of. Although the Devils power play was playing well, Colorado's net minder and the defensive line in front of him were able to keep the shots from becoming goals.

Colin White for the Devils was able to take the lead halfway through the third with a feed that came to him in the slot. That feed came from Turner Stevenson, who got the drop pass from Mike Rupp behind the net. Mike Rupp, although getting the second assist on the play, made the chance possible by fighting off a pair of Colorado defenders to the right of the net. The lead lasted for about 4 minutes, as Colorado's Milan Hejduk scored to tie the game up at 3. Momentum shifted from one end of the ice to the other very rapidly. And the score reflected this. The only question was when it was going to stop, and with who. Whoever the momentum stopped with was going to win the game. It stopped with Devils forward Jeff Friesen, who made the unassisted game winning goal. The blast originally came from a turnover right outside the Colorado blue line. Friesen gave credit to Mike Rupp, who tied up the Avalanche defender in front of the net, and distracted the Avalanche's goaltender. Devils coach Pat Burns recognized Rupp's performance. "Aebischer was probably thinking different when he saw Rupp going to the net," stated Burns. "He cheated over to one side and that opened the hole for the goal." Rupp did not get an assist on the play.

The Devils will be playing their 3rd consecutive game at home this coming Wednesday, November 5, 2003 against the San Jose Sharks. This will be the one and only time the Devils will be playing the Sharks this season. Martin Brodeur and the Devils will be looking for their 4th consecutive win, which they haven't done since March 18 through March 24, against the Montreal Canadians, Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Islanders, and Florida Panthers. Wednesday's game will be on at 7:30 PM on FSNY.

As always,

~Kyle Bisignani

--------------------

#| BOX SCORES |#

--------------------

~ Saturday, November 1, 2003

~ Colorado Avalanch @ New Jersey Devils

~ Time: 1:00 PM ET

~ Venue: Continental Airlines Arena

~ Atten: 17342

http://njdevils.info/schedule/report.php?gid=10

View 8 Video Clips: http://njdevils.info/media/game.php?gid=10&year=0304

The Devils are now 5-0 when I am not in the chat. As for Gionta I still don't understand what he was doing when he gave a perfect pass to Tanguay who set up Hedjuk for the Avs third goal.

I have to say that is one of the dumbest turnovers I've ever seen. He not only threw the puck into the middle of the ice, he passed it BACKWARDS in his own zone. Definitely a :rolleyes: moment. Maybe someone pulled an 'Ace' on him :P

I FREAKED out when that little bugger coughed up the puck to Tanguay, what the hell was he thinking? Must have had one hell of a brain fart... :unsure:

Can't get too mad though, it didn't cost the Devils the game and overall he had a pretty decent game anyways. Hey, as long as Gomez and Elias continue to produce with him on that line, I have no beef with him! :D