Spectors 1/28

westcoastdevfan

JANUARY 28, 2004.

SENATORS CLOSE TO LANDING BONDRA?

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports the Senators may be close to landing Washington Capitals winger Peter Bondra. A "league executive" tells Garrioch the Senators offer (Petr Schastlivy and either a first or second round pick in 2004) was considered acceptable by Caps GM George McPhee but now it's up to owner Ted Leonsis to give his blessing. Garrioch also claims Muckler would like to add either a gritty winger or defenceman. Phoenix's Tyson Nash would be of interest but the reporter claims Muckler hasn't spoken to Coyotes management for a while. The LA Kings Sean Avery is another but with the injuries the Kings have suffered this season they're unlikely to part with him. The Sens were believed interested in Predators forward Scott Walker but with that club presently in the playoff hunt they won't trade him. Edmonton's Georges Laraque is another possibility.

Spector's Note: The Sens offer may be acceptable, but what are the other clubs offering? We'll find out soon enough!

ZHAMNOV A GONER.

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone reports Blackhawks GM Bob Pulford confirmed he'll trade centre Alexei Zhamnov prior to the March trade deadline. Talks between the club and Zhamnov's agent about a contract extension have apparently broken down. Sassone reports the Canucks, "Detroit, Colorado, San Jose, Ottawa, New Jersey and possibly Atlanta " are interested in the centre. Rumours the Canucks might offer up youngster Ryan Kesler or Jason King for Zhamnov were dismissed by the team. There is speculation the Red Wings might offer up winger Jason Williams.

Spector's Note: It was a long shot the 'Hawks would retain Zhamnov. His name is already prominent in the rumour mill and will remain so in the coming weeks.

LEAFS TO RE-ACQUIRE WESLEY?

TORONTO SUN: Lance Hornby reports of speculation the Maple Leafs are trying to land Capitals forward Peter Bondra and Carolina Hurricanes winger Jeff O'Neill. There's also speculation they might try to reacquire defenceman Glen Wesley from the Hurricanes. Wesley was obtained by the Leafs prior to last year's deadline but was allowed to re-sign with the Hurricanes to a one-year deal last summer.

Spector's Note: Wesley played well for the Leafs during his short tenure with them last spring so it wouldn't be surprising if they were interested in him again. The question, of course, is what the asking price would be.

SYDOR TRADE SPELLS END OF HAMRIK RUMOURS.

NEWSDAY: Alan Hahn reports last night's acquisition of defenceman Daryl Sydor by the Tampa Bay Lightning means the speculation of the NY Islanders shipping Roman Hamrlik to the Bolts is over. It had been rumoured for months that the Lightning would try to reacquire Hamrlik to bolster their blueline.

Spector's Note: In Sydor the Lightning get a better defenceman. He's a reliable and durable two-way blueliner with plenty of playoff experience, and he should be a very good fit in Tampa Bay.

SPECTOR'S MAILBAG.

My thanks to "Smitty" for the following: "Red Wings analyst / color man Mickey Redmond said in a Radio interview this morning that he expects the Wings to make a strong push at Chicago's Alexei Zhamnov "well before" the deadline so they have less compitition for him. He went on to say that if that falls throught expect someone from the Capitols to be picked up durring thier Fire Sale because The Wings will not have to give up as much."

My thanks to "Alex" for the following: "i was watching sportsrise in dc and they were interviewing Ted "the strangler" Leonsis. he was basically saying that nothing has been presented to him in terms of trades and then went on to say that if any of the vets went to him or mcphee asking to be traded to a contender than they would try to do that. Reading in between the lines, it sounded as though mcphee and leonsis were looking to make some deals to send some vets to cup contenders.

Top to bottom, Ottawa is as good on the backline as the Devils are. A guy who is underrated is Rachunek. The Rangers would LOVE to get their hands on this guy. Redden, Chara, Phillips, Leschyshyn....that's a very good unit, and experienced, too.

And Lalime isn't "cup quality"? I don't know about that one. He's never played in the Cup finals, but he didn't exactly crack under the pressure against NJ.

This is a scary team. Not many weaknesses. We'll see if you call them Flyers North if they send the Devils home for the summer.

The Rangers would love to get their hands on a warm body with NHL experience to play defense for them right now.

I don't take Ottawa lighly. Their defense is not porous but it is not as good as ours either. Scoring is not their problem but any team could use another sniper.

Imagine that Sens team with Bondra? Scary, scary, scary. Is there enough ice time to go around?

What's so scary about them? They still have a suspect backline and aren't Cup-quality in goal. Getting Bondra would just make them one step closer to being Flyers North...

<JESTER>

I don't agree. Ottawa has a very good blueline, I mean, just look at Chara -- he has developed into quite the defenseman (he's a +25 this year!), and that's just one player. Plus, Lalime has playoff experience under his belt, and the team DID make it to the Conference Finals last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them back there again, hell, even making it to the Cup Finals. They had a shaky start, but they're back into their form again. I say Ottawa is Canada's best chance at a Cup.

Top to bottom, Ottawa is as good on the backline as the Devils are. A guy who is underrated is Rachunek. The Rangers would LOVE to get their hands on this guy. Redden, Chara, Phillips, Leschyshyn....that's a very good unit, and experienced, too.

And Lalime isn't "cup quality"? I don't know about that one. He's never played in the Cup finals, but he didn't exactly crack under the pressure against NJ.

This is a scary team. Not many weaknesses. We'll see if you call them Flyers North if they send the Devils home for the summer.

First off all, we sent them home in the ECF last season. That puts them one step closer to being Flyers North.

Look, I'm not sleeping on Ottawa. It's a great team that can win the Cup this season. But their defense is four deep, and instead of Bondra, I think the Sens would be better served trading for another vet on D.

As for Lalime...if you had a team, and you felt you were one goalie away from the Cup, where would Lalime be on that list?

<JESTER>

It depends on how long the list is. 5 goalies? No. 10 goalies? Yes.

1. Brodeur

2. Belfour

3. CuJo (despite what they say, I'd rather have him on my side)

4. Hasek ??????

5. Theodore

6-10 any mix of Luongo, Khabibulhin (I'd rather have Lalime, thanks), Lalime, Potvin, Kolzig.

Look, I'm not sleeping on Ottawa. It's a great team that can win the Cup this season. But their defense is four deep, and instead of Bondra, I think the Sens would be better served trading for another vet on D.

You may be right there. But if they got Bondra, good luck to the team trying to match lines against them. It would be impossible. It's already darn near impossible.

As for your other question, I'll take Lalime over any goalie in the East except Brodeur and Belfour. Lalime, I think, is better than any goalie that could be had in a trade

Edited by Jerrydevil

Lalime is an average goaltender who occasionally gets Giguere-esque streaks of five or six games where he is fantastic. Overall, he is a goalie you will win WITH, but not BECAUSE OF.

As for their backline, Lesychsyn or whatever his name is, is really not that good, hes been benched on occasion and has been beaten constantly by forwards driving to the net.

Phillips, Chara are fantastic.

But, Rachunek has been a huge disappointment this year.

Redden, has been Redden. Plays great, but is still prone to stupid mistakes.

ottawa is the best team in the east top to bottom. getting bondra is a waste, they have the most talent out there it's their job to get it done.

that's what's so amazing about hockey one bounce and you have a one goal lead, redden doesn't make one little mistake and freisen doesn't score that goal, and ottawa could very well have ended up winning the cup.

it's on the players now, not the GM.

that's what's so amazing about hockey one bounce and you have a one goal lead, redden doesn't make one little mistake and freisen doesn't score that goal, and ottawa could very well have ended up winning the cup.

That's why i love this game ! :evil:

Phillips, Chara are fantastic.

But, Rachunek has been a huge disappointment this year.

Redden, has been Redden.  Plays great, but is still prone to stupid mistakes.

How is Rachunek a dissapointment? He's a plus 15 with 13 points. Not a great, great point total but he's not supposed to be Rob Blake either. JD and Rosen were raving about this guy in the Ranger-Sens game.