Devils May Choose To Take Parise To Arbitration

Quinn01

we don't have any idea how lou conducts his negotiations. we have whispers and rumors. since the local journalists have been blogging, there's a lot more information out there in general.

when did lou do this before 2005? you have scott niedermayer predicting the future here.

I wasn't refering to Scott being upset about it in relation to those other contracts just that Lou in general seems to overpay for role players but then tightens his belt with higher end players. Often it's has been the right choice with regards to the guys he's let walk but in terms of building this team back up to be a contender, I just don't think we can afford to lose our best player.

Parise is the one who grabbed a new agent for his pending free agency, not Lou. I am not sure what people expect Lou to do at this point in time. We have far too many holes and not enough cap space to really do anything right now.

...and who is at fault for that?

At this point, there's no point debating this any further since we don't know all of the facts on what has happened so far with Parise. Based on Lou's recent contracts, I just get this awful feeling we're going to end the offseason with Parise on a 1 year deal looking at UFA and Andy Greene basking in a 3 million per season contract. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Lateralous

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't refering to Scott being upset about it in relation to those other contracts just that Lou in general seems to overpay for role players but then tightens his belt with higher end players. Often it's has been the right choice with regards to the guys he's let walk but in terms of building this team back up to be a contender, I just don't think we can afford to lose our best player.

higher end players command more years as well as more dollars. it's easy to think there's no difference between 3 and 5 year contracts when you're on year 1.

At this point, there's no point debating this any further since we don't know all of the facts on what has happened so far with Parise. Based on Lou's recent contracts, I just get this awful feeling we're going to end the offseason with Parise on a 1 year deal looking at UFA and Andy Greene basking in a 3 million per season contract. I hope I'm wrong.

parise might be on a 1 year deal, but he might not be looking at UFA. before parise answered this long series of questions, i thought a 1 year deal might be in everyone's best interest. it still might be.

lou's contracts to depth players happened largely because the minor league system was barren. it's no longer barren. he already traded off arnott and langenbrunner, and those guys have been replaced from within. we will continue to see this - when rolston goes, we'll see henrique take his place, and so forth.

Edited by Triumph

after last year exit against the flyers after such a promising season, then the whole Kovalchuk saga during the summer, and this fail season... i just really want them so sign Parise long-term so i can finally sit back and relax...

i want them to go next season and have a good season... get a good rental player for the playoffs maybe... then waive goodbye to Rolston and his 5m cap hit and see whats up with Marty... is that too much to ask... last off-season and season as been the worst year as a Devils fan of my life since 92... horrible horrible horrible

So from what I've read, taking Parise to arbitration most likely signifies that both parties haven't come up with a contract solution, and that the Devils don't want to be vulnerable to matching offer sheets. Let me know if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound that bad. I would think that around a three year contract would be agreed upon sometime between filing for arbitration and the arbitration date. As mentioned, it happened with Zajac, and I also remember it happening with Staal of the rangers last year. So it almost seems standard these days.

Since you're asking Manta, the answer is clearly Kovy.