Big move at deadline

Jas0nMacIsaac

I have a feeling a Alex Mogilny type trade will be in the works come trade deadline day. We have far too many assets in our pro system at the moment, many can't get the quality icetime needed to develop. The upcoming season you will see C Patrice Cormier, LW JS Berube, C Adam Henrique, LW Mattias Tedenby, C David McIntyre and C/RW Jacob Josefson turning pro in North America. Hell, even LW Mike Hoeffel may turn pro after the season he is having. We will have an influx of talent joining an already packed system NHL through AHL. Next season our depth charts may look like this without a trade.

LW Parise, Elias, Rolston, Pandolfo, Halischuk, Peters, Vasyunov, Tedenby, Berube, Hoeffel, Snetsinger

C Zajac Zubrus Niedermayer Pelley/Sestito Cormier Swift Mills Henrique McIntyre Nagy

RW Langenbrunner Clarkson Bergfors Zharkov PLL Palmieri Josefson Perkovich

This doesn't incluse any other FA other then Bergfors, Clarkson, Pelley, Sestito and Niedermayer. Many who are playing extremely well for Lowell.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are times when a team can consider itself close enough to take a shot at making a major deal to win it all.

I think this team is that close. I think guys like Zajac will recover, as talked about in the other thread. I think Oduya will too.

I think this year is the year we can make it to the conference finals and go from there.

Strangely, this is a year when I have no expectations before the deadline, actually. I know it's different, because the Devils haven't been this good in a long time, but the last few years tought me not to expect any huge deals, even if there are rumours. And if the team is playing well nearing the deadline, I'd probably be against pulling the trigger on anything major, since I don't want the chemistry broken.

Of course, bringing in someone good would be exciting and I guess I'd be easily swayed and happy. But right now, we have lots of other things to think about before the trade deadline.

I felt better about the team last year, even though this year's team is doing better. Last year, while everyone played so well with Marty out, and still having the John Madden etc, I just felt like we were poised. So disappointing.

The question is who would you want to move?

We have some pretty big holes to fill in a couple of years, Elias, Rolston and others aren't going to be around forever.

I dont think any of Cormier, Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique, Vasy or Sharky should be moved. Thats a pretty solid group going forward for the organisation, and i dont think any of the other prospects would attract attention.

And all year in Sweden with Djurgarden.

He played on Kruger's wing at the start of the season.

The question is who would you want to move?

We have some pretty big holes to fill in a couple of years, Elias, Rolston and others aren't going to be around forever.

I dont think any of Cormier, Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique, Vasy or Sharky should be moved. Thats a pretty solid group going forward for the organisation, and i dont think any of the other prospects would attract attention.

We have Parise, Zajac, Bergfors and Clarkson as part of our young core. You don't need all those prospects.

He played on Kruger's wing at the start of the season.

Sorry i didnt make that clear, I was agreeing with you, i ment he has played wing pretty much all season, since pre season, i was pointing out to SteveStevens that although he was listed as a center he pretty much never plays there.

We have Parise, Zajac, Bergfors and Clarkson as part of our young core. You don't need all those prospects.

We already have a number of players the wrong side of 30, who in two years time (which i think is the minimum amout of time for any of the guys listed above to make the NHL) will be close to the end of their NHL careers.

In 2011/12 we only have 9 players signed on the whole roster. Presuming we extend Bergfors, Parise, Clarkson and Andy Greene and Paul martin our lines would be:

Parise/Zajac/Bergfors

xxxx/xxxx/Clarkson

Elias(1yr)/Zubrus/Rolston(1yr)

PLL/xxxxx/xxxxxx

Martin/Oduya(1yr)

Greene/White(1yr)

Salvadore(1yr)/XXXXX

Brodeur

At that point i doubt Elias or rolston will be nearly as effective as they are now and wouldnt expect either of them to sign an extension at the end of their deals. That means there could be potentially 10 vacant roster spots at the end of the 2011/12 season.

I would rather fill those gaps with tallent drafted by the organisation.

Who would you move at the deadline this year and what sort of return would you expect??

jason, i mostly disagree, and here's why.

1: A lot of those guys on that list are totally fungible - Peters, Pelley/Sesisto, Leblond, Perkovich, Swift, and Snetsinger are all guys who have little to no worth at the NHL level. The Devils can therefore get rid of some of the names on this list to make room for others.

2: It's not a guarantee that all those guys sign and are in the AHL - henrique and cormier are the only sure things to be in the Devils' organization. The Devils may let someone like David McIntyre walk - McIntyre is already 23 and his NHL prospects are slim. They may let JS Berube walk for the same reason.

3: The Devils' prospects are misfit toys - while many of them are having great seasons now, few of them are the kind of players that other organizations salivate over. They're either too small, too slow, or have a giant hole in their game. Most of them project to be bottom 6 forwards.

I do think it's likely that if we make a trade at the deadline that one of Vasuynov/Palmieri/Halischuk/Eckford will be in it. I also think casting such a deal as an 'Alexander Mogilny' deal is incorrect - the Devils don't have a prospect with even close to Brendan Morrison's NHL readiness and talent, nor does the NHL have a player like that available. They may get a Joe Corvo or Eric Belanger or even possibly Scott Niedermayer, but the pickings league-wide are rather slim.

Edited by Triumph

I agree somewhat with Tri.

Not every prospect we have coming up is guaranteed to become decent NHL talent. And the way the Devils develop players, these young guys won't be jumping up to the NHL right away.

Personally, I think our most valuable prospects are (and this is only because of expectations) Cormier, Josefson, and Urbom.

We have been complaining about lack of depth at center for a while now and if these two guys pan out like they are billed to, then we will have an amazing center depth with Zajac/Cormier/Josefson, and hell put Zubrus as the fourth line center.

Urbom is going to be interesting. He is supposed to be a large, physical, puck moving defenseman with a cannon as a shot. This is something we have lacked for a while.

As far as the guys that are already here:

I think Peters, Pelley, Leblond, and Pikkarainen are not going to be mainstays and they could be sent down/traded/let go at any time. Rob Niedermayer will not be around too much longer. This might be his only year. If The Devils don't trade for Scott at the deadline (which I think they WON'T), Rob won't stick around... Remember, the Devils are pretty much the whole team that made his phone ring in the offseason. He needed a job.

Elias has three years after this one on his contract. I think he will honor them and continue to be a decent-good player for us. I also sense an early retirement for him. I think that when this contract is up, he will hang up the skates. With illness and injury bugging him lately, I can't see him being much of an iron man.

Rolston has two more years after this. I think if he is in good shape and feeling like he can still play, he'll get a one year deal after his contract is up to see what he's got left. But I hope what Lou did with Shanahan is what he is planning to do from now on. If young guys are ready, keep the old and slow guys away.

Zubrus has three years after this. I think he is very valuable to this team and will stay here. His next contract will be for much less money (probably somewhere in the low 2 mm's) and no one has a reason to argue that he should get a raise. I believe he'll know that as well.

Langenbrunner has one more year after this. I can see him getting extended for two years when it's time for him to get a new contract. He has been great for us. I think his days wearing the C are numbered. I think he'll be the captain next year but when/if he re-signs after next year, Zach with have the C.

I certainly think you can count on Bergfors, Clarkson, and Zharkov to stay here.

Can't you tell I'm bored at work?

But I think next season, Corrente, Eckford, and Fraser will look to make the team full-time. Mottau will be gone. A trade might have to happen because Oduya, Salvador, Greene, and White are all signed for next year. I can't imagine Lou letting Martin walk. That leaves one open spot for Corrente, Eckford, Fraser, and if Urbom makes a good run at camp.

As far as forwards... The three P's might lose their jobs. Pelley, Pik, Peters.

Halischuk will get a shot. Zharkov will become a full time NHLer.

I feel like, with early injuries this year, the biggest chance we have for a big deadline deal is the way our young fill-ins play ... namely Zharkov, Halischuk and Fraser. If these guys have impressed GMs around the league enough to think they're full-time NHLers right now, then we might get something better in return than a Ken Klee or a Niclas Havelid. Of course, a lot also depends on what Lou thinks of these guys' futures within the organization.

Does anyone know what our draft situation looks like, as in do we have any extra picks to sweeten potential deals with?

I doubt we do anything. I am not too sure that we have too many prospect or that they will ever make it to the NHL (if you ask the hockey news our prospects suck).

Lou will ride the UFA wires to see who we can get cheap for depth, that is about it. We have great, young talent and strong veteran leadership which has fantastic chemistry developing. I dont see Lou ruining this strong base. We will get a cheap UFA for depth that's about it.

When the whole team is healthy... I'd like to see

Parise-Zajac-Bergfors

Elias-McAmmond-Rolston

Clarkson-Zubrus-Langenbrunner

PAndolfo-Niedermayer-Zharkov

Martin-Greene

Oduya-Salvador

White-Fraser

Brodeur Danis

I actually don't think a trade is needed.

When the whole team is healthy... I'd like to see

Parise-Zajac-Bergfors

Elias-McAmmond-Rolston

Clarkson-Zubrus-Langenbrunner

PAndolfo-Niedermayer-Zharkov

Martin-Greene

Oduya-Salvador

White-Fraser

Brodeur Danis

I actually don't think a trade is needed.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rental player to fill this spot. Don't know exactly who, though ...

I wouldn't mind seeing a rental player to fill this spot. Don't know exactly who, though ...

there's not much out there. matt cullen, matt stajan, saku koivu, and eric belanger are the only UFA centers i'd have any interest in off non-playoff teams. but like you said, mcammond cannot have that spot in the playoffs.