Rangers Hoping for Parise

msweet

Hedberg is 37.

I don't get the panic. Next year, Langs and Arnott come off the books. That's 7.3 million right there. Add Parise's current hit of 3.125, and that's 10.425, 6 - 8 of which goes to Zach depending on contract length etc etc.

from those numbers there only way parise would leave is because he wanted to

Just out of curiosity, for those cap/CBA-ologists out there, a question. If Parise and the Devils were to agree to a new deal before his current deal is up, does the new deal(and associated cap hit) take over as soon as the deal is signed, or does the new deal only apply after the current one expires? I would hope/think it's the latter, but I don't know(obv).

Just out of curiosity, for those cap/CBA-ologists out there, a question. If Parise and the Devils were to agree to a new deal before his current deal is up, does the new deal(and associated cap hit) take over as soon as the deal is signed, or does the new deal only apply after the current one expires? I would hope/think it's the latter, but I don't know(obv).

When the current deal expires. They also cannot negotiate an extension until the final year of the contract. Contracts begin on October 1, so Lou and Zach cannot negotiate an extension until October.

Edited by David Puddy

When the current deal expires. They also cannot negotiate an extension until the final year of the contract. Contracts begin on October 1, so Lou and Zach cannot negotiate an extension until October.

I think they were able to negotiate starting on July 1.

If the Rangers ever sign Parise, and you can point back to this very post, I will put a bullet through Glen Sather's head and take a piss on his grave at the funeral.

Documented.

Pat Burns Award clincher right here.

Edited by ben00rs

just to confirm - they can negotiate with parise now (and could have after the hawks won the cup (even before 7/1)). you are correct that the cap would not be affected until 2011-2012.

just to confirm - they can negotiate with parise now (and could have after the hawks won the cup (even before 7/1)). you are correct that the cap would not be affected until 2011-2012.

Do you have a source for that? I was looking at the standard player contract, which states it begins on October 1.

Do you have a source for that? I was looking at the standard player contract, which states it begins on October 1.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/zach_parise_excited_that_ilya_kovalchuk_will_be_a_devil_for_a_long_time/#When:21:32:58Z

With Kovalchuk’s deal out of the way, Lamoriello can also move on to signing Parise to a long-term extension. He is slated to become a restricted free agent next summer and is two years away from being eligible for unrestricted free agency.

“We’ll see,” Parise said of working on extension with the Devils. “I’m just more excited that we got Kovy for a long time. (Lamoriello) hasn’t talked to me yet, so I’m not too concerned about it. I’m pretty excited about Kovy coming back.”

Parise said he is still in the process of picking a new agent. The Devils have been free to sign him to an extension since July 1 and they could have begun negotiations even before then.

i'm too lazy to go look it up in the CBA but here's just the latest i found it. there's a direct quote from parise in another TG blog post where he says that while he doesn't have an agent yet, he'd speed up the process if lou wanted to talk extension right away.