2013-14 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

The organization needs better forwards, not more forwards.  As I've said a bunch on here, you've got potentially 5 forwards coming into Albany next year (Gavrus, Bell, Black, Thomson, Johnson) with the potential of Pietila and Coleman forgoing their senior season to join the Devils' organization.  Boucher and Matteau may be graduating Albany, but there'll be plenty of guys behind them to fill in.  None of those guys, save Gavrus, should be particularly good AHL players, but a lot of them will be there.

An undrafted free agent signing would be nice - I could see one coming out of college since they need a guy who might be NHL ready - but it might not be necessary.

Reece Scarlett  

(last 12 gms) - 4 goals, 3 assists, 26 shots

(last 4 1/3 gms) - 3 goals 2 assists, 13 shots

I believe he may end up being our Willie Mitchell in a trade.

Where did you pull these stats from? The AHL site I don't think lists SOG correctly, as it has Scarlett listed with 34 SOG and the last time I checked on Matteau, they had his SOG stat listed incorrectly.

Raman Hrabarenka really interests me as well. In his last 7 games he has 2 goals, 5 assists and 17 shots. Either Rick Kowalsky is a genius or Tommy Albelin may be the next Larry Robinson for our organization.

I think it has more to do with Albelin who has guided the following defensmen to excellent progression; Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Harrold, Urbom, Kelly, Scarlett and Hrabarenka.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Raman Hrabarenka really interests me as well. In his last 7 games he has 2 goals, 5 assists and 17 shots. Either Rick Kowalsky is a genius or Tommy Albelin may be the next Larry Robinson for our organization.

I think it has more to do with Albelin who has guided the following defensmen to excellent progression; Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Harrold, Urbom, Kelly, Scarlett and Hrabarenka.

Hraberenka was put on the PP and shoots the puck a lot - I don't think this is a revelation.  He was used in this role last year when Gelinas was out to begin the season.

Does Luke Schenn or Jack Johnson count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither were prospects when they were dealt.  Well, Johnson was the first time he was dealt, but he was traded for Eric Belanger and Tim Gleason, two decent players (Gleason was a prospect himself), but it goes to show what you get if you start shopping prospects around.

I also think Brett Connolly is a good fit but I think the Devils would have to give up Jon Merrill to get him (and they'd get something else from TB).  And indeed, as I pointed out in chat, Connolly is waiver-eligible next year - makes things tricky.

Edited by Triumph

It's real tough for D prospects to accrue enough value to be the major part of a trade.  Right now I'm blanking on big trades that came on the back of a D prospect.  I suppose Turris for Rundblad but Rundblad had 1st round pedigree.

McDonaugh? But that was more just Montreal being dumb I guess and he had the 1st round pedigree too

Tuesday 12/10
WHL
Swift Current lost to Kelowna 4-2
Graham Black C: Assist, -1
Season: 32 GP 16-28-44, +17, 31 PIM

-- 10 assists in last 5 games.

Damon Severson D: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1
Season: 26 GP 8-19-27, +14, 24 PIM

-- 2 goals, 5 assists in last 5 games.

Myles Bell RW: E
Season: 26 GP 10-12-22, +10, 23 PIM

Wednesday 12/11
OHL
North Bay defeated Sault Ste. Marie 4-3
Ben Thomson LW: +1, 2 PIM (Slashing)
Season: 20 GP 8-6-14, -2, 42 PIM

WHL
Kelowna defeated Moose Jaw 6-3
Damon Severson D: Goal, +3
Season: 27 GP 9-19-28, +17, 24 PIM

-- 6 game point streak: 3 goals, 5 assists.

Myles Bell RW: 2 Goals (1 SH), E* 1st Star
Season: 27 GP 12-12-24, +10, 23 PIM

Injury Update: Coleman had surgery on his shoulder/collarbone area the other day. No idea how long he will be out but he tweeted out a picture of it post-surgery with this status, "For those who have asked to see the injury... All fixed up with 10 screws and a plate now though"

Hopefully it heals up quick, he was off to real impressive start producing 10 goals and 6 assists in 17 games along with a +8 rating, 39 PIM, 49.38 FO%, and an average of 3.76 shots per game. Coleman currently ranks 2nd on the team in goals and 3rd in points. He ranks 3rd in the NCHC in goals and tied 5th in points.

Thursday 12/12
OHL
Windsor defeated Peterborough 4-2
Ben Johnson LW: -1
Season: 25 GP 12-7-19, +4, 8 PIM

North Bay defeated Barrie 4-2
Ben Thomson LW: Assist, +1, 7 PIM (Tripping, Fighting)
Season: 21 GP 8-7-15, -1, 49 PIM

WHL
Swift Current lost to Victoria 4-3 (OT)
Graham Black C: Assist, E
Season: 33 GP 16-29-45, +17, 31 PIM

-- 11 assists in last 6 games.

Hey fiesty, do you have any idea what kind of player we can expect Black to become? Stats look good so far this year, but I guess that's expected for someone playing in the WHL two years after being drafted.

From what I've read/heard, he needs to put up these kind of numbers due to his age, but his full potential would be 3rd line, two way guy who can chip in a bit offensively.

Hey fiesty, do you have any idea what kind of player we can expect Black to become? Stats look good so far this year, but I guess that's expected for someone playing in the WHL two years after being drafted.

I've never seen him play but going off his draft profile from Hockey Prospect and reading articles the last few years, I like him more than most. He is an overager and should be putting up numbers like this, but I really think that if he didn't have Graves' Disease, that he would've played his age 18 year in the WHL and been drafted in his first year of eligibility. His upside if everything goes well for him seems like 3rd line center, but I think that on a team like the Devils that sort of has interchangeable pieces in the top 9, maybe he would be able to surprise them with his offensive skills at times. Like I said though, that is his best case scenario so I would temper expectations on him since it's far from a sure thing.

Maybe I'm biased, but having a friend who is athletic and has a similar condition, it's amazing to me Black has been able to play this well through it. Diseases like this can be really debilitating when they flare up. However, it looks like the worst of it is behind him now and he should be able to maintain weight, sleep better, etc. going forward.

FWIW here is part of his 2012 Hockey Prospect Black Book profile:

The first thing you notice about Black’s game is his speed. He goes from point A to B in a hurry, and defenders really have to respect his skating ability and give him a bigger gap than most players. With his speed, Black likes to attack and create match up problems for opponents. He drives to the net hard with or without the puck, and it allows his teammates to have some extra room to make plays.

With the puck, Black makes very good plays. He has a very quick release, and loves to sneak into the slot, receive a quick pass and get his shots off and score goals that way. He also has good hands in tight, but a lack of size does not allow him to be as effective around there. Black always has his head up, and makes good decisions with the puck.

Defensively, Black must improve his play without the puck. He takes awkward lanes to the point, which does not allow him to take away shots or passes effectively. He gets caught puck watching, and loses track of where his check is many times.

It's all about the AHL for Black (first, NJ has to sign him, no sure thing).  If he shows up there and gets 20 points per 80 games next year, he's probably an AHL pro.  If he gets 40, he could be a 3rd/4th line guy who kills penalties.  That speed is NHL quality, it's about rounding out the rest of his game.

Friday 12/13
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Quebec 7-3
Anthony Brodeur G: 9 Saves on 14 Shots in 29:56 (Replaced in 2nd down 5-0)

OHL
Kingston lost to Niagara 5-4 (OT)
Ryan Kujawinski C: E, 2 PIM (Interference)

-- Penalty led to GWG for Niagara.

WHL
Kelowna defeated Brandon 6-5 (OT)
Damon Severson D: DNP (At Canada WJC Camp)
Myles Bell RW: 2 Goals, Assist (PP), +1

-- Scored tying goal with 9 seconds left in regulation, scored GWG in OT.
-- 4 goals, 1 assist in last 2 games.

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Colorado College 4-1
Joe Faust D: E, 2 Blocks

North Dakota defeated Northern Michigan 4-1
Derek Rodwell RW: +1, 1 Shot

Michigan Tech lost to Bowling Green 3-2
Blake Pietila LW: Assist, +1, 3 Shots, 9/18 Faceoffs

Saturday 12/14
OHL
Windsor lost to Barrie 4-3
Ben Johnson LW: Goal (PP), -2

Kingston defeated Sarnia 9-1
Ryan Kujawinski C: DNP (Healthy scratch after penalty in OT cost them the game last night)

WHL
Swift Current lost to Kootenay 3-2 (SO)
Graham Black C: Goal, +1, Stopped in SO* 2nd Star

-- 7 game point streak: 1 goal, 11 assists.

Kelowna defeated Regina 5-4 (OT)
Damon Severson D: DNP (At Canada WJC Camp)
Myles Bell RW: Goal (GWG), Assist (PP), +1

-- 5 goals, 2 assists in last 3 games including back to back GWG's in OT.

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Colorado College 4-3 (OT)
Joe Faust D: -1, 1 Shot

North Dakota defeated Northern Michigan 3-1
Derek Rodwell RW: Goal (EN), +1, 3 Shots

Michigan Tech tied Bowling Green 4-4
Blake Pietila LW: Goal (PP), -1, 10 PIM (Unsportsmanlike Conduct), 5 Shots, 4/8 Faceoffs

Sunday 12/15
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Drummondville 4-0
Anthony Brodeur G: 7 Saves on 7 Shots in 20:00

-- Relieved Steeves after 2 periods.

OHL
Windsor lost to Owen Sound 3-2
Ben Johnson LW: +1

-- Just 6 points in his last 14 games (5 goals, 1 assist).

North Bay lost to Sudbury 1-0 (OT)
Ben Thomson LW: -1, 4 PIM (Tripping, Cross Checking)

Kingston lost to London 6-4
Ryan Kujawinski C: Assist, E, 2 PIM (Roughing)

WHL
Swift Current lost to Calgary 5-2
Graham Black C: -4

-- Snaps 7 game point streak.

Kelowna defeated Prince Albert 5-3
Myles Bell RW: Goal, E

-- 6 goals, 2 assists in last 4 games.

World Junior Championship Division 1A
Belarus defeated Slovenia 7-3
Artur Gavrus C: 2 Goals (1 SH), Assist, +2, 10 Shots, 14/20 Faceoffs

-- Gavrus is the captain for Belarus.

Edited by thefiestygoat