New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

I think the Kings were seriously low balling him. The whole thinking appears to have been that the Kings were hoping he would take less money to play in LA.

In any event, the operative words are "not confirmed yet". He'll end up in LA.

i'm sorry but if there's 3 public rejections, that's probably it. each side has to know where the other one is. are they just going to keep negotiating for 20 days?

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sorry but if there's 3 public rejections, that's probably it. each side has to know where the other one is. are they just going to keep negotiating for 20 days?

We don't even know if there's been a rejection yet. Just "unconfirmed reports." When Lombardi comes out and makes another "it's over" announcement then I'll believe. It won't get that far though.

they're like the kid in high school who keeps after the girl of his dreams. keep saying no to one another until there's nothing left right before prom and settle.

I'm in the same boat. The face to face negotiating feels like the last effort from both sides. If you spend 10 days talking, and then sit together face to face, then you know where everyone is at. It either works or it doesn't at that point. Now maybe it worked well enough that LA and Kovy are just tweaking details right now but it also could have let both sides know that they can't offer what the other wants.

is anyone else really excited for the upcoming season

after reading TGulitti's talk with Elias.. and hearing the excitement Patty and Arnott have!!??!! = DEFINITELY

Bottom line is NJD will put out a very good squad no matter what!

If Kovy stays in NJ, great. If not Lou uses $$ elsewhere -

"Trust in Lou" is not just bullsh!t phrase

after reading TGulitti's talk with Elias.. and hearing the excitement Patty and Arnott have!!??!! = DEFINITELY

Bottom line is NJD will put out a very good squad no matter what!

If Kovy stays in NJ, great. If not Lou uses $$ elsewhere -

"Trust in Lou" is not just bullsh!t phrase

I do trust in lou he is simply the best at what he does

I do trust in lou he is simply the best at what he does

He's getting back in to his old groove this year, and starting to grind a new one.

Granted there might be some embers starting to burn underneath his office chair, its still getting us what we need at the moment

5-6 years ago, I never would have thought we'd STILL be in the hunt for one of the greatest free agents to ever hit the market. Its been one hell of a ride thus far.

He's getting back in to his old groove this year, and starting to grind a new one.

Granted there might be some embers starting to burn underneath his office chair, its still getting us what we need at the moment

5-6 years ago, I never would have thought we'd STILL be in the hunt for one of the greatest free agents to ever hit the market. Its been one hell of a ride thus far.

im excited about the FA signings and trades so far...This offseason has been great...Lou isint finished yet i believe

im excited about the FA signings and trades so far...This offseason has been great...Lou isint finished yet i believe

oh i trust him when he says its not over yet. i'm just excited to see whats next and hopefully not to much when i go on vacation out of the country at the end of the month ;)

I am a fan of home-grown talent (meaning within the organization) as were Niedermayer, Elias, Brodeur, Rafalski, Stevens (early part of his career he came to NJ).

Stevens came to the team well into his career. If he had been Jay Pandolfo he would have been nearly ready to hang 'em up.

I just want to give credit where credit is due. Stevens is Stevens grown and would that there were more players like him. He was way far enough along in his career to have told the Devils and Lemaire to shove it - but he didn't. He continued to work on his game at a time when he could have been cresting selfishly.

When you pontificate as a Devils fan, it's important to write as if you are writing to fellow Devils fans, not a general unknowing hockey fan at large :evil:

That's what agents are for? Because Jay Grossman has been so good at keeping things under wraps.

And even if you're right that SJ wants to get rid of Thornton, it is not something that can be done on such short notice and without more attention. Hell, even Lou couldn't keep the Kovalchuk trade a secret.

ADDENDUM: And you better believe that if Kovy were in talks with the Sharks, Grossman would be broadcasting that loud and clear to the Kings (through media leaks) in a hope that Kings will increase their offer for fear of having Kovy go to a division rival.

True, but it's no secret that the Sharks have been shopping Joe T around for quite some time, which would help expediting any possible deals. Some of the franchise's War Rooms are wonderfully setup to get deals done very quickly in the 11th hour.

Both sides can play the false dichotomy, but there are rules and contracts that both sides management and Agents must abide to, as well as the contracts for the players follow under the NHLPA. That's why the agents have to be certified, yes, they run a fine line of being barred for disclosure of deals, pulling sleazy tactics, and exposing contracts, but that's the gray area. Enough flags/evidence raised against a certain agent/agency for disclosing confidential contract info/negotiations and their outta business. Well supposedly the way it working and stop Grossman and others from playing games for their own benefit.

As far as LL and leaks... many sports organizations have now compartmentalize (Like NSA, NRO, DIS, FBI, etc) with certain people having knowledge of proportional data. Besides limiting breaches in confidential information, it narrows down exactly where the information originated from if/when breached. Also false flag ops can be conducted by the franchise to zero in on loose lips or employees disclosing/selling data. Hopefully Lou's security system has been upgraded to resolve past organizational problems.

True, but it's no secret that the Sharks have been shopping Joe T around for quite some time, which would help expediting any possible deals. Some of the franchise's War Rooms are wonderfully setup to get deals done very quickly in the 11th hour.

Both sides can play the false dichotomy, but there are rules and contracts that both sides management and Agents must abide to, as well as the contracts for the players follow under the NHLPA. That's why the agents have to be certified, yes, they run a fine line of being barred for disclosure of deals, pulling sleazy tactics, and exposing contracts, but that's the gray area. Enough flags/evidence raised against a certain agent/agency for disclosing confidential contract info/negotiations and their outta business. Well supposedly the way it working and stop Grossman and others from playing games for their own benefit.

As far as LL and leaks... many sports organizations have now compartmentalize (Like NSA, NRO, DIS, FBI, etc) with certain people having knowledge of proportional data. Besides limiting breaches in confidential information, it narrows down exactly where the information originated from if/when breached. Also false flag ops can be conducted by the franchise to zero in on loose lips or employees disclosing/selling data. Hopefully Lou's security system has been upgraded to resolve past organizational problems.

I haven't followed the Joe Thornton trade rumors over the years, but I would imagine that any Thornton deal at the moment (one in which one of your goals is to trim cap space to acquire a high priced free agent almost immediately) is different than a trade deadline type deal where it's more likely equal salary is coming back in return.

And whatever Grossman's ethical duties are, there hasn't been one team that's even given a whiff of interest thus far without it being all over non-Єklund (2.3% accurate) twitters.

Not saying it can't happen, but I'd need to see a lot more before I buy it.