GDT: Barclays Islanders vs New Jersey Devils 9/23/2015

Triumph

A lot to like about this game - I didn't see the whole thing, as the Yankees are still playing important games (though I think that just ended).  Zacha was particularly impressive on NJ's first or second power play, he knew what he wanted to do with the puck before he got it, and that's such a critical skill to have - it's a lot of what separates top line from bottom line forwards.  He may not be ready yet, and it was a shame he got hit with that shot and missed a shift.  

I liked a lot of what Kalinin was doing too.  He's strong along the boards and is figuring out where to be on the ice, and he skates well.  I don't think he'll have a big role on this team, but he can have a role.

Boucher was less good.  I don't know if he can be effective on the right wing.  It was his first action since that concussion though.

A lot to like about this game - I didn't see the whole thing, as the Yankees are still playing important games (though I think that just ended). Zacha was particularly impressive on NJ's first or second power play, he knew what he wanted to do with the puck before he got it, and that's such a critical skill to have - it's a lot of what separates top line from bottom line forwards. He may not be ready yet, and it was a shame he got hit with that shot and missed a shift.

I liked a lot of what Kalinin was doing too. He's strong along the boards and is figuring out where to be on the ice, and he skates well. I don't think he'll have a big role on this team, but he can have a role.

Boucher was less good. I don't know if he can be effective on the right wing. It was his first action since that concussion though.

I actually thought Boucher played well today, with and without the puck, especially in the first period. I made sure to watch him every shift and he was finding many soft areas but his linemates couldn't get him the puck. I think he would do well with Zajac Tlusty or Henrique Palmieri.

Also very disappointed in Josefson. Only noticed him in the 3 on 3. He will never be more than a depth player. The good thing is he brings value for the OT and shootout.

I would like to see Zacha get his 9 games so barring any trades or signings I want to these as the lines to start the season with.

1A. Boucher Henrique Palmieri

1B. Cammalleri Zajac Tlusty

1C. Elias Zacha Matteau

4. Kalinin Josefson Ruutu/Tootoo/Stempniak

And who knows if JQ keeps on impressing he might just take Bouchers spot.

Edited by Zubie#8

i thought that zacha also had some moments and he did look good on the PP.

i know kennedy is doing everything he can to get noticed but taking all these penalties cannot be helping his cause.

this was another bad game for gelinas and, i just am not getting an inspiring feeling from merrill-severson so far this preseason. severson played well against boston, but less so tonight and again, i didn't love merrill.

its still tough to tell what we're looking at as there's just too much non-nhl players in these games to cloud the overall judgement.

Gelinas was hot garbage last night.  There was a play late in the first period where the Islanders player was skating up the wing and all he had to do was accelerate slightly and he burned Gelinas.  Not sure whatever offense he brings to the table will ever offset the lack of defensive prowess in his game.

I thought Josefson was pretty good last night.  Noticed him a lot and had some chances.  Really noticed him in the 2nd period a bit.

Zacha played well.  Not awesome but well.

Severson and Merill looked lost out there.  This is very troubling for me as this is basically our second pairing.

Stempniak was alright.  Nothing terrible but nothing great.

First time I noticed Boucher at the game yesterday was with a little under 2 minutes left in the 2nd period.  Sad to say that I do not think he will have a regular spot in his future, if at all.

I thought severson played well enough last night. Zacha dishes out passes like crazy and with oomph to them, he is a keeper.

Kalinin and Kennedy were making things happen on their shifts, if they both stay I hope thats 2/3rds a line.

Gelinas is off a little, his usual hesitation seems worse then normal, he had one outlet pass attempt in the third that looked like stop motion photography it was so ragged.

Stemp was okay too, for a veteran he did well. His shift where he scored after a long period of being held in the defensive zone was nice.

Another two uncharacteristically bad goals to start the game on an awful note, just like at MSG. Schneider's shaking of the rust, and at the very least one of these goals simply doesn't happen in the regular season, it just doesn't. He then proceeded to make some incredible saves throughout the course of the game and lock it up. Schneider needs those 3 full games that he asked for, to make sure these cobwebs are out by October 9th. Nothing new and it's not really worrisome, Brodeur would go through the same every preseason.

What I saw after the two early goals was, again, encouraging; especially considering the Isles iced their top two lines in all their very skilled glory; it is what it is, that's preseason. We carried play in the second, did a lot of great things, Poulin made a few really great saves, we hit something like 3 or 4 posts. 

I love what I'm seeing from Zacha, his passing game is fantastic. There was one power play in particular where he was throwing some pin-point laser passes to create space, Isles' D couldn't follow. He really is built for the center position, his vision makes him a good quarterback. 

Boucher and Matteau look lost. Tyler Kennedy on the other hand continues to make his case. Sergey Kalinin looked very good as the game wore on as well. The next round of cuts are going to be some tough calls. The guys I really expected to shine have not really stepped up, and vice versa. I think Kalinin and Kennedy make the opening night roster.

I really wish we were able to see some more of Paul Thompson and David Schlemko. I really want Thompson to be the big surprise this camp, but luck wasn't on his side.

I've only had a chance to watch 2 periods total of the preseason, but what has everyone thought of Zacha? I know it's not much to go on, but I recall his hockey sense being called into question. Ex. how is he cycling the puck? From what I've seen:

1) He's built like a bull and has + speed

2) A very high risk player. I recall one play against the Bruins when they were cycling and instead of passing back to the open point, he dangled around a guy and passed it to the weak side dman. Now, that play worked out but it was still a risky play. It does show he has a lot of confidence and creativity. I also noticed he likes those no look passes that Kovalchuk used to make.

3) He hasnt played as physically as you'd expect. Maybe it's because I havent seen him much but you'd think he'd take the body more. How is he along the boards fighting for pucks?

All in all I'm really excited to have him but it sucks living out of market and having to resort to sh!tty streams. Tough to gauge players that way!

Zacha:

- Most time 18 year olds regardless of size come into camp and get forced off the puck and pushed around. Zacha controls the puck like a veteran along the boards which means he will only get better at this. 

-His first game was meh, the second game i seen hockey sense on the PP once he had some room and extremely quick hard passing, he seems to pass the puck much like Kovalchuk did when he was with NJ. The better the coaching, the better the positions he will get in the offensive zone to distribute the puck.

-As I said a month ago, I don't believe Zacha was every properly coached last year. It appeared Sarnia played at the seam of their pants. An excellent X's and O's head coach will turn Zacha into a better player and put his linemates in better positions to receive the puck.

-He only got the one timer off once but I believe this could be his calling card in the NHL. He has the perfect skillset to control the PP from the halfwall much like a Phil Kessel. As bad as it sounds, he maybe the best player on the devils roster to run the play from there. Elias doesn't have the shot and Henrique isn't a good enough passer.

-This season will have a lot of turnovers and growing pains but it's becoming clear to me he will start the season with NJ and depending on Elias. stay and grow in the NHL.