After years as face of the Devils, Vanderbeek likely to step aside

msweet

Since before the arena was opened, Vanderbeek was also battling over a revenue sharing deal with Newark Mayor Cory Booker, who called Vanderbeek a "huckster and hustler" in a public spat last year.

Now Vanderbeek will host Booker's election night celebration at the arena but it is likely to be one of the last events he oversees as the sole franchise owner.

The Devils have been struggling to pay their bills for months, officials said, and rumors of a team sale have been circulating for more than a year. Each time a deal came close to fruition it was scrapped at the last minute.

Now, the team will require a significant influx of cash to meet its debt obligations. Even if Vanderbeek receives assistance, a new owner or group of owners will likely be in place at the start of the season in October.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/08/after_years_as_face_of_the_devils_vanderbeek_likely_to_step_aside.html

Man, why did I read some of the idiotic comments on that article :doh1:

Reading NJ.com comments is like sticking a fork in your eye and slowly twisting it.

Reading the comments section on any site an article regarding the Devils' ownership situation is posted on is like that. The number of stupid, ignorant, and uninformed out there is ridiculous. Edited by MadDog2020

@howardeskin: Sources confirm #sixers owner josh harris has agreed on the money to purchase #NJdevils. The purchase will cover all debt of jeff vanderbeek

@howardeskin: #njdevil owner jeff vanderbeek has really lost to the bank but #sixers owner josh harris will cover that money. Done deal

@howardeskin: Sources confirm #sixers owner josh harris has agreed on the money to purchase #NJdevils. The purchase will cover all debt of jeff vanderbeek

@howardeskin: #njdevil owner jeff vanderbeek has really lost to the bank but #sixers owner josh harris will cover that money. Done deal

I wonder if Jeff gets his season tickets back as part of the deal... :giggle:

Reading the comments section on any site an article regarding the Devils' ownership situation is posted on is like that. The number of stupid, ignorant, and uninformed out there is ridiculous.

True..and it's all fed by the media.

It has to be said that the vast majority of debt JVB faces is from the construction of the arena, and not from hockey operations. You wouldn't know that from some of the articles out there.

To be honest, (IMHO) Vanderbeek was NEVER the face of the franchise. He's just the owner. Marty and Lou, those are the faces of the franchises. We aren't exactly the Steinbrenner Yankees here; we're defined by others than the owner.

To be honest, (IMHO) Vanderbeek was NEVER the face of the franchise. He's just the owner. Marty and Lou, those are the faces of the franchises. We aren't exactly the Steinbrenner Yankees here; we're defined by others than the owner.

And I agree, but I really think we should give Vanderbeek a hell of a lot more credit and praise for his time as owner than we do.. First off he's living the Devils fan dream in owning the team, he got us a huge TV deal, got the new arena, and has done a ton for marketing the team.. Especially marketing "Jersey's Team".. And he held on to the team for as long as he could because he really did want to be the owner for a long time

And I agree, but I really think we should give Vanderbeek a hell of a lot more credit and praise for his time as owner than we do.. First off he's living the Devils fan dream in owning the team, he got us a huge TV deal, got the new arena, and has done a ton for marketing the team.. Especially marketing "Jersey's Team".. And he held on to the team for as long as he could because he really did want to be the owner for a long time

+1. He's proof that in this day and age fans can't live the dream, but he did a lot right.