Devils in Contract Talks With Larsson

Daniel

Lou has a lot on his plate right now. It's good we're all impatient with him here. It's realistic to be, when talking about players. Because they have nothing but this contract to think about. They have no minor league teams falling down the sh!tter - they have no dearth of exceptional coaches, they have no other teams hounding them for contracts, you know and we just see the tip of the iceberg regarding Lou’s responsibilities.

With that said - It is not fine for Lou to discount how important this one contract is to Parise. Do I think Lou doesn’t know that? No, I think he does, but from where we stand and taking history into account, he’s not honestly understanding it. It's Parise's LIFE his whole life. A life is as difficult to run as a hockey organization. A FedEx driver is working just as hard juggling his family & personal finances with performing his job duties as any wall street banker – FedEx man has to do it all himself banker hires it out – everyone works an 80 hour week.

Lou picked this life and he's got to be the one making concessions - not telling Parise to sit on his ass and wait until Lou is good and ready. Letting it slip until arbitration does Lou’s job for him is not adequate job performance. If Lou needs to hire more trusted underlings, so be it. I’m hard pressed to see anything more significant to this organization than Parise’s contract. That may well be MY failing – but IMO losing him will impact the organization poorly.

The Kovalchuk directive shaped things – you can’t go back to business as usual after that. Lou letting this go to arbitration is inappropriately glib. He must see that, no matter what his intent is.

And with THAT said --- If we went by this forum - we'd say none of us had anything to consider aside from the Devils and posting on the board. Think of how infinitesimal this board is to your life in the grand scheme of things and know that's about where getting information out to the public has to be in Lou's life. I personally do appreciate his desire to regulate the message. I think that’s in OUR best interest as much as it is in the organizations. Media snafus are not fun for anyone. There may be things going on we aren’t (and honestly do not need to be) party to. :noclue: sucks to be us…

Well thats right and like i said in my post, we obviously doesnt know anything... but yes Lou has a lot on his plate... but this time i dont feel bad, cause he waited last minute for all that so no wonder he's busy now and thats a fact, we had a terrible season because he was too patient (can anyone argue that.........nop? alright thats what i thought) then Lou knew for the longest time that after lemaire we needed a new coach that lemaire was staying or not... you would assume that he would have contact a few and get an idea.

We were not making the playoffs and we knew it so does Lou... what exactly happened from the moment we were mathematically out and the draft? thats what like 2 months? i know there's a lot going on... actually i dont know exactly whats going on in a GM life... but im pretty sure he could have sat with Greene, Parise, Hedberg and maybe talk to a few coaches in 2 MONTHS, the draft was coming but from what i know thats 90% the scouts working on that, i alsodont buy the "waiting for the cap" excuse for zach... its been announced for what? a few weeks now? still nothing, seems like he got everything done BEFORE trying to sign Zach, i mean how can you play games and play hard ball with the future of the franchise, at this point Zach could very well go for a one year and then bye bye, i could seriously see that happen by now

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Lou signed the UFA's before the RFA. Larsson has a deadline before Parise as well.

Has every GM in the league disrespected their major RFA's by not signing them?

I can make up a scenario where Lou and Parise are waiting to just to read Internet forums where people make up what their motivations, worries, and feelings are.

Well -- in all honesty - Zach can get his panties in a bunch, but the same offer one day before arbitration or 6 months before arbitration, makes zero difference. It's the actual going to arbitration that makes the difference.

Lou historically appears to think of that as buying time - a last year at fair market value -- which anyone that owns a house knows is well below true market value. It should be called lowest common denominator. Well it's not buying time -- it's a cheap glib statement - an avaricious statement.

Players do not trust Lou. I'll never forget how surprised I was when Stevens got his tight speedy nervous voice when he was discussing negotiating what would be his final contract. After all those years he was all nervous/frantic with the press. No matter HOW you slice that, the truth of the matter was that after all those years the man was afraid of getting sh!t on by Lou. The last person on earth lou woudl sh!t on and yet he had real emotion about the issue. :noclue:

Lou seems to take these thing one by one and not fully comprehend the message as a whole. Some guys a fvckwads and deserve nothing. Some guys are dorks and deserve to have the screws put to them with a pay day in the end. but there is an overall message being sent and I think it does come down to arbitration. I don't know -- it's not something I'd be willing to toy with. Disclaimer Schmisclaimer - everyone has to be feeling that way. and it's fine IF the offer comes through in time.

Edited by Pepperkorn

ALSO -- try having to hire people on a regular basis. there is so much to consider. revenue streams -- waiting on people that might come available. I'm not stressed about the coaching thing. It just is what it is. No one wants to settle just to get something done. and no one wants to say well -- Hitchcock is ok but we're still holding out here. CMON! Sometimes waiting is a blessing -- you have no idea management's TRUE opinion of you -- until they sh!t can you one week before playoffs start.

The Parise contract is all that has me a little tight in the sphincter.

A lot of people here are jumping to conclusions based on very little/no evidence.

Agreed. Let me see some of these scenarios actually play out first. Not one soul here knows what's happening right now.

Devils close to signing top pick Larsson

The jackpot draftee the Devils hope becomes a cornerstone says he hopes to sign a contract with the team in the next few days.

"By the end of the week, I hope," defenseman Adam Larsson said after yesterday's start of week-long rookie camp in Newark. "I'd like to get it done. I think the decision is pretty close."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/larsson_devs_close_xeOzp1etgY3RKPoNnYlNNK

Didn't see this posted.

The jackpot draftee the Devils hope becomes a cornerstone says he hopes to sign a contract with the team in the next few days."By the end of the week, I hope," defenseman Adam Larsson said after yesterday's start of week-long rookie camp in Newark. "I'd like to get it done. I think the decision is pretty close." http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/larsson_devs_close_xeOzp1etgY3RKPoNnYlNNKDidn't see this posted.

Good news !!!!

EJHradek_NHL EJ Hradek

Devils top prospect Adam Larsson, 4th overall pick in the 11 draft, says he believes he's close to signing deal with NJ

3 minutes ago

I would be happy just with this and Cam coming back to town. Add a coach and we got ourselves a team.

i mean im putting myself in Zach's shoes for the last few seasons...

• first Lou went HARD on Kovy, im sure sure Zach felt that the future face of the franchise was taken away from him at some point...

• then they traded Zach's best friend and mentor

• then he was injured all season

• another season / another coach

• then it's taking forever and seems like Lou is absolutely emotionless and not in a rush at all to sign him, sign him for arbitration and then wait and wait and wait again

all that plus Zach is starting to get more popularity will all the publicities and the olympics... going to those nhl superstars photoshoot and talking to all those other players probably saying how free and fun their organization is (unlike the button up / overclassy / strict and prisonlike NJ seems to be sometimes

seriously if im Zach with all that and seeing Lou fvcking around and not putting all the effort he should in a superstar like zach is... i'd take that one year deal and test the market.

obviously we dont know everything but from the outside thats what it looks like and i really dont like it

This is all conjecture and speculation. For all we know, Zach could be swimming in Lou's pool right this minute, drinking a pina colada. Truth is that none of us have any idea of the true nature of the relationship or what's actually going on. I don't remember any Devils free agent ever saying to the press "yea, Lou and my agents are talking every day, there is great communication and we're very close to wrapping this thing up." These things with the Devils have always been hush hush and a large reason for that is because Lou likes to keep leverage on other teams / GMs, and the more transparent you are, the less leverage you have.

That being said, do you really, honestly believe that Lou hasn't spoken to Zach about his intentions or his plans? Do you really think Zach is sitting there all summer not knowing what's going on? Don't forget that this is the same player that Lou invited to sit at the head of the table, directly to Lou's right, during the draft. Or that Zach is the player that took it upon himself to answer probably 50+ fan questions for TG.

This is all conjecture and speculation. For all we know, Zach could be swimming in Lou's pool right this minute, drinking a pina colada. Truth is that none of us have any idea of the true nature of the relationship or what's actually going on. I don't remember any Devils free agent ever saying to the press "yea, Lou and my agents are talking every day, there is great communication and we're very close to wrapping this thing up." These things with the Devils have always been hush hush and a large reason for that is because Lou likes to keep leverage on other teams / GMs, and the more transparent you are, the less leverage you have.

That being said, do you really, honestly believe that Lou hasn't spoken to Zach about his intentions or his plans? Do you really think Zach is sitting there all summer not knowing what's going on? Don't forget that this is the same player that Lou invited to sit at the head of the table, directly to Lou's right, during the draft. Or that Zach is the player that took it upon himself to answer probably 50+ fan questions for TG.

Is Johnny Mac the last player to go public demanding a trade or talking about their contract?

I'm sure Zach knows how the team treats him because he has been in the org for a while. I wouldn't think waiting a month or 2 will trump the last 6(?) years.

Back to the thread topic, reguarding the extra $100k if the negotiations go past friday 5pm. Does it count against the cap? I would assume no but the league never ceases to amaze me.