Kevin Allen's NHL Notes

SportsTalkRadio

Some points to consider

Ten issues to ponder in the final days of the regular season:

1. As the Nashville Predators battle aggressively to prove they are worthy of a playoff spot, the hockey world might be scrutinizing Nashville's fans to see if they are worthy of having an NHL franchise.

Although there are no plans, or even discussions, about this franchise being relocated, there is clearly disappointment around the league that fans haven't been overly supportive of a team that has been in contention since the season began. The club is six games over .500 and in the midst of what is clearly an exciting race.

However, Tuesday night they drew 15,900 for a home game against Anaheim. Earlier this month after back-to-back wins, they played in front of a crowd of only 10,576 for an important game against Chicago. Their attendance average is about 13,000 this season, and they posted crowds under 10,000 earlier in the season.

It's fair to say that the hockey world will be very curious to see how the city of Nashville will respond if the Predators make the playoffs. It's almost as if the Predators' fans still have probationary status.

2. Teams in the Western Conference are privately hoping to avoid playing the Calgary Flames in the first round. Overall, the Flames are simply agonizing to face, and Miikka Kiprusoff might be the best goaltender in the Western Conference right now.

3. Although there are reasons to like the Philadelphia Flyers, the return of Keith Primeau from injury might be crucial to their hopes of postseason success. Based on how he played early in the season, Primeau could be for the Flyers what Bobby Holik used to be for the New Jersey Devils in the postseason.

4. The Devils have long been patient with their draft picks, but there is speculation in the hockey world that they are pondering whether to try to sign North Dakota standout Zach Parise, who was the leading scorer at the World Junior Championships. The consensus is that Parise, son of former NHL player J.P. Parise, isn't quite ready yet, but he is very skilled and he knows how to play defense. It might be fun to have him around for the playoffs. Wisconsin defenseman Ryan Suter (Nashville Predators) could also be a candidate to be signed after his team is through with the NCAA tournament.

5. Curtis Joseph's latest ankle injury adds another twist to the Detroit Red Wings' goaltending soap opera. Before Joseph was sidelined again, the presumption was that Joseph would start the playoffs, but the Red Wings wouldn't hesitate to use Manny Legace if Joseph wasn't sharp. It's now plausible that Legace could start the postseason. At the start of the season, GM Ken Holland told Legace that he needed to show the Red Wings he was ready to be a No. 1. At the time, Holland was thinking about next season because he was planning to trade Joseph and he didn't know if Dominik Hasek would return in 2004-05.

6. The San Jose Sharks haven't received enough credit. Part of the reason might be that there is an impression around the league that the team lacks confidence heading to the playoffs. But goalie Evgeni Nabokov is viewed as the kind of athlete who can play well enough to turn a series.

7. The majority of players in the NHL are still Canadian, and there is tremendous pride in their country's hockey heritage. That's why, with the possible exception of the teams jockeying for position at the bottom of the Western Conference, there is plenty of rooting going on for the Edmonton Oilers. Many in the hockey world love to see all six Canadian teams in the playoffs for the first time in recent history. As of Friday morning, the Oilers were on the bubble and Vancouver and Calgary were in the top eight. In the East, Toronto and Ottawa have clinched spots and Montreal is closing in.

8. After GM Kevin Lowe had been on the job for only a short period in Edmonton, his rivals began to say he could quickly become one of the league's better executives. He showed that at the trade deadline. The consensus around the league at that point was that the Oilers were essentially out of contention and probably should be a seller. Instead, Lowe made a significant trade with the Rangers

When you're talking about a player as talented as Parise, anything is possible, but I'd be shocked if they did it.

Parise would get to practice with the team, and if Kozlov or Gomez was injured, there is a small chance that he could step right into the nhl playoffs and be an effective top 6 forward.

Now compare that to the disadvantages:

He's going to want a lot of money

He probably won't play

He'd lose NCAA eligability

If he plays and doesn't do well, it could affect his confidence

He may even affect his eligability to play in the AHL during a lockout/strike

I think the Devils will show discretion here, but Parise is one of the most talented prospects The Devils have ever had, so I guess it's possible.

Hm, #1 sounds like the Carolina franchise all over again.

The Preds have been bending over backwards with their advertising, ticket deals, etc. You can get $10 off any weeknight game just by showing a Kroger card (discount card for the main supermarket here). So basically you can get the best upper deck seats in the house for $18. And they still have problems drawing fans.

If they miss the playoffs, combined with a work stoppage next year, the Preds may be gone sooner than later.

I think the entire Southeast Division should be eliminated aside from Tampa.... (no not the whole division, just Florida Panthers)

There are a lot of unnecessary teams in the NHL, and the talent is too widespread, so players like Sean Brown come on the devils: :rofl:

Edited by djstubbs

The Preds have been bending over backwards with their advertising, ticket deals, etc. You can get $10 off any weeknight game just by showing a Kroger card (discount card for the main supermarket here). So basically you can get the best upper deck seats in the house for $18. And they still have problems drawing fans.

They need to have a tractor pull (I think there's such a thing) or monster truck race during intermissions. That'll fill the seats. :P

I don't know. I think the worst thing the Devils could do is bring Parise in for playoffs. That is not anytime for someone to be learning at the NHL level.

There is no way this kid comes in and doesn't make some mistakes. Mistakes in the playoffs lead to elimination. I'll take my chances with what we have.

Hm, #1 sounds like the Carolina franchise all over again.

If they miss the playoffs, combined with a work stoppage next year, the Preds may be gone sooner than later.

Does seeing what's happened to Nashville make anyone angry about the flirtation with that city back in '95?

<JESTER>

Teams that I think should go:

Florida Panthers

Columbus Blue Jackets

Nashville Predators

Phoenix Coyotes

---

That's all.

Columbus sells out every game. We certainly don't. Maybe it's the Devils that should go?

It's not right for Devils fans to point the contraction finger elsewhere.

Zach should spend at least half a season (maybe a full one) developing in Albany. I don't want to pull a M. A. Fleury on this kid. Give him the time and let him play in our excellent development system.