Weak Attendance

trailblazer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was a decent crowd except no one sat in the upper deck corners, because, well, why would you?

at this point I don't understand why anyone cares but I guess this is part of being a Devils fan for some reason, at least the people going at this point of the season are PAYING. I can't say the same thing last year

was a decent crowd except no one sat in the upper deck corners, because, well, why would you?

at this point I don't understand why anyone cares but I guess this is part of being a Devils fan for some reason, at least the people going at this point of the season are PAYING. I can't say the same thing last year

I consider myself a die hard just like most on this board.

I just really wish/want the Devils to be supported.

I care because I really want this team to get the support it deserves.

Just imagine how great it would be if every game was jam packed.

It's not the ticket price.

Tickets are reasonably priced.

lol at the reasonably priced part...yeah that's why 95% of games every year get discounted. Tickets are reasonably priced, if you have the means to be a season ticket holder and buy in advance. Day of game purchases, not so much. You expect people to pay $37 (plus optional ticketmaster fees) for upper corners to a non-conference game? Or $55-60 for mezz seats, and whatever the lower bowl is for an October game?

Maybe we should just have one Devils Attendance thread and bump it after every game instead of having nine million threads every season :P

I consider myself a die hard just like most on this board.

I just really wish/want the Devils to be supported.

I care because I really want this team to get the support it deserves.

Just imagine how great it would be if every game was jam packed.

don't price the worst seats in the house more than better seats and people will sit in them. it's also October and the Sharks are not marquee anything. it's been ALOT worse in October than that. like the game Marty wrecked his glove arm... and then the game after he got hurt, youch, that one was pretty brutal.

lol at the reasonably priced part...yeah that's why 95% of games every year get discounted. Tickets are reasonably priced, if you have the means to be a season ticket holder and buy in advance. Day of game purchases, not so much. You expect people to pay $37 (plus optional ticketmaster fees) for upper corners to a non-conference game? Or $55-60 for mezz seats, and whatever the lower bowl is for an October game?

Maybe we should just have one Devils Attendance thread and bump it after every game instead of having nine million threads every season :P

I'm not loaded by any means but to me $37 is cheap.

$61 for good seats in the mezz (which tonight was a classic game and $61 got you in mezz or balcony) is more than reasonable too (for a sports ticket).

how much lower can ticket prices go without the devils becoming the KC Royals of hockey with 0 talent on the ice?

To me price is not the issue since anyone can become a STH for under $1,000.

Yes, $60whatever is a good deal for the BEST seats in the 100's, but the Devils have largely abandoned the "best seat" theory and went with one size fits all. That's why the upper corners are empty, other than pockets of STHs that all must love each other or something, because if it was me, I'd move so fast my head would spin. I don't know about you, but I don't think I would pay $40 or so + fees (and more if it's a "premium" game) to sit in the upper reaches of 226 or any of the corner upper sections so someone can puke on me.

Their pricing is like a Rubiks cube, they get something right and screw something else up in the process and have to go back to square one every year. I mean it's not going to drag that many more people out to a Friday 7PM against a WC team, but it wouldn't hurt.

not that it matters anyway, the 100's are largely full now for most games. their problem spot right now is the entire upper deck other than center sections. they can't even fudge that.

Edited by maxpower

Yes, $60whatever is a good deal for the BEST seats in the 100's, but the Devils have largely abandoned the "best seat" theory and went with one size fits all. That's why the upper corners are empty, other than pockets of STHs that all must love each other or something, because if it was me, I'd move so fast my head would spin. I don't know about you, but I don't think I would pay $40 or so + fees (and more if it's a "premium" game) to sit in the upper reaches of 226 or any of the corner upper sections so someone can puke on me.

Their pricing is like a Rubiks cube, they get something right and screw something else up in the process and have to go back to square one every year. I mean it's not going to drag that many more people out to a Friday 7PM against a WC team, but it wouldn't hurt.

not that it matters anyway, the 100's are largely full now for most games. their problem spot right now is the entire upper deck other than center sections. they can't even fudge that.

there are no fees buying from the box office.

$37 got a fan into 14 of the 18 sections in 200 level.

$27 into either of the 4 corners in 200 level.

$61 for majority of 100 level.

i will admit, the mistake on pricing light blue, royal blue and Aqua the same price.

I sit in 130 and its a better seat than the balcony.

Not sure why they have the 3 colors when its all the same price.

either way, that doesn't change the fact that I think these tickets are affordable.

i will admit, the mistake on pricing light blue, royal blue and Aqua the same price.

either way, that doesn't change the fact that I think these tickets are affordable.

Well you do, but other people might not. If I was not a STH, I would not be in a rush to buy singles. Their price points are whacky. And most people are not going to go to the box office to buy tickets, because the fee for that is going there and possibly ending up stuck.

The corner seats are overpriced, dictated overpriced by the market. They will be tough to fill. Fixing the balcony problems they screwed up the upper deck. One day they'll get them all right at the same time.

$37 to see a team that missed the playoffs last year and hasn't done anything but be painfully mediocre for almost a decade now. Multiply that by three, maybe four if you have a couple of kids, plus the atrocious price for food that doesn't even include the Tastes of Newark stands any more, to sit in seats that are cramped with no leg room. Affordable family fun! Variable pricing to fit any budget! Four of those sections were $20 just a couple years ago, and guess what, they were packed every game. Now they're empty every game. Tell you what, if you think $37 is reasonable for those tickets, maybe you can spring for a few of us underprivileged fans to attend a few games and fill up those seats.

Yes, $60whatever is a good deal for the BEST seats in the 100's, but the Devils have largely abandoned the "best seat" theory and went with one size fits all. That's why the upper corners are empty, other than pockets of STHs that all must love each other or something, because if it was me, I'd move so fast my head would spin.

I think just about any sth in the uppers that isn't in the $15 seats or center ice (212, 229) is still getting the benefit of the price freeze from a few years back (i.e. they're paying $24 instead of $30). You would have to be borderline insane to pay $30 a game to sit in a non-center ice seat.

$37 to see a team that missed the playoffs last year and hasn't done anything but be painfully mediocre for almost a decade now. Multiply that by three, maybe four if you have a couple of kids, plus the atrocious price for food that doesn't even include the Tastes of Newark stands any more, to sit in seats that are cramped with no leg room.

The Tastes of Newark is still open by 120, I don't know what you're talking about with the bolded.

There probably is a bit of a carryover attendance-wise from not missing the playoffs and low expectations (most of the pundits picking us 11th), but October attendance is just going to stink, period. That's why few teams actually want October home games and you get these goofy gaps in the schedule early.

There's a difference between being affordable and being a good buy. Most people aren't going to be in a rush to buy even $27 or $37 corner upper seats from the box office for an October game. The ones that would are (mostly) also smart enough to wait for the discounts and sit in the mezz for $30 plus a $10 food card, or go on StubHub and buy cheap from sth's who don't want to/can't go.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Everyone here is hitting on the head in regards to pricing issues. Somethings they did OK, somethings are horrid like the upper corners. I am only going to go to a handful of games this year. I'd go to more if it was a $20 ticket. $20 to sit in the upper corners, OK, it's a bit much - but I'd still pay it for a night out.

For me is about a 70 minute ride each way from the city, plus the food, plus the tickets. I can do it 3 or 4 times this year at the current price level. If it was more reasonably priced - I'd go to more.

For me is about a 70 minute ride each way from the city, plus the food, plus the tickets. I can do it 3 or 4 times this year at the current price level. If it was more reasonably priced - I'd go to more.

That's true, we're not counting other ancilary costs in the overall game price either, unless you're a real cheap *** and risk a carjacking by parking free on a side street in Newark :lol: I take the train from South Orange, it's about $4.50 from there, $3 for the light rail/bus roundtrip and I'd wager that most people pay more than that in train costs or parking (depending on how many people you have in the car and whether you can split it multiple ways), throw in gas over time.

I don't really count food as much but then again I get home early enough to have dinner and then go on the train, most people do have to eat on the go.

I think the pricing was actually decent this year. The Devils are trying to make more money on games they know will sell out and are trying to fill as many seats possible for games that usually are associated with weak attendance.

The funny part is I don't think tiered pricing's made a dent so far as far as people going to the 'cheaper' games (though again, this is October), other than the fact they'll make a bit more on eight or nine of the premier games and perhaps a little less on the value games. All it's really done is give them a means to justify the discounts, since the discounts are for the most part above the 'variable' sth price in the corresponding section now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

80 minutes each way, without traffic. Family of four...so tickets x4, close parking (since our youngest is 3), food (at the very least for my two boys). That can make for an expensive night. It just seems that year in and year out we end up going to less and less games.

The Tastes of Newark is still open by 120, I don't know what you're talking about with the bolded.

The stands are there but they're not Newark businesses. They're generic ripoff stands run by Centerplate to replace Jimmy Buff's and Hobby's and the original BBQ place that was there a few years ago.

From Jimmy Buff's Facebook page: Something stinks in Newark and the stench is coming from the Prudential Center and in particular Centerplate and the Devils. Obviously talks have broken off and the only reason is GREED. I wouldn't agree to the Devils demand of a $10,000.00 kick back. They called it a partnership I call it a kick back. Centerplate didn't renew my contract because they didn't want to share the revenue. They wanted it all for themselves. So if you go to the game and get an italian hotdog remember that Sh!t is Centerplate's version not Jimmy Buff's. If you want to complain you can reach Todd Andrews of Centerplate at 908-906-9351 or Dana Fabrikant of the Devils at 973-757-6060. Its too bad it had to come to this but that is the way of todays world. But remember this Karma is a bitch.

Everyone here is hitting on the head in regards to pricing issues. Somethings they did OK, somethings are horrid like the upper corners. I am only going to go to a handful of games this year. I'd go to more if it was a $20 ticket. $20 to sit in the upper corners, OK, it's a bit much - but I'd still pay it for a night out.

$20 too high for 2011 metro sports team?

thats extreme.