Just wasn't our year

'7'

Let's face it, this would've happened had we played Boston, Montreal, Toronto etc in the first round. Had Markov not scored with 5 minutes left, Philly would've scored in OT. That goal was pre ordained.

No Stevens was huge, Nieuwy didn't do much last year but Larionov did even less in his final season. Kozlov was a good pickup, but he got hurt. Could've been a factor in this series. We could've used another stay at home defensman at the deadline, somebody like Bergevin or Lachance but that deal never happened. We were just not ready to win a playoff round this year, not with only one line and thin on D.

Philly was bigger, better, and hungrier.

Let's face it, this would've happened had we played Boston, Montreal, Toronto etc in the first round. Had Markov not scored with 5 minutes left, Philly would've scored in OT. That goal was pre ordained.

No Stevens was huge, Nieuwy didn't do much last year but Larionov did even less in his final season. Kozlov was a good pickup, but he got hurt. Could've been a factor in this series. We could've used another stay at home defensman at the deadline, somebody like Bergevin or Lachance but that deal never happened. We were just not ready to win a playoff round this year, not with only one line and thin on D.

for once, I actually agree with you. :(

it is easier to swallow when you know the Devils did leave it all on the ice. They weren't equipped to go all the way this year. We had a good team, it's just everybody else in the east excluding NYI were deeper and faster.

Philly was the better team, from the goal to the blue line to the forwards. I'm shocked that we were even outmatched in the goaltending duel, seeing as Philly can't even hold a goaltender and Marty is supposed to be the best in the world...but damn. Whattaya gonna do?

*sigh* I'm disappointed.

I'll agree with the hungrier part, but past Devils playoff teams have faced bigger flyer teams and have still come out on top.

The offense was lackluster other than the EGG line, but then again I imagine it's hard to feel confident as a team when your goalie is consistently giving up goals a few minutes into a playoff game.

Marty just wasn't sharp this year. He made some good saves but was lacking that aura of impenetrablility that he seemed to have in past playoff games and gave up a ton of rebounds. That last goal he gave up was very similar to the goal Hextall gave up against NJ late in the 3rd period of game 5 in the 1995 conference finals.

We'll be back, much to the chagrin of ESPN and ABC I'm sure :P .

I don't know what series you guys were watching. :noclue: IMO 90% of what happened was Burns' fault. This Philly team isn't that good, which I predict will be proved next round. It's just that the Devils played so poorly they made it easy. :(

Not this nonsense again. Give your head a shake. More finger pointing here then a 5 year old at the circus.

I don't know what series you guys were watching.  :noclue:   IMO 90% of what happened was Burns' fault. This Philly team isn't that good, which I predict will be proved next round. It's just that the Devils played so poorly they made it easy.  :(

Not this nonsense again. Give your head a shake. More finger pointing here then a 5 year old at the circus.

Whatever...

I was typing this post up for a separate thread, but then I saw this topic, so I'll put my thoughts here instead:

There are thirty teams in the NHL. Only one can win the Stanley Cup. We've been lucky; in the last ten years, we've won the Cup three times. We can't win every year, but we can compete every year. I'd say we competed, no? Just because we lost in humiliating fashion doesn't mean we didn't compete. We still had 100 points in the regular season, and that's with a small team and a missing captain. We got beat by a superior Flyers team, that's all. It just wasn't our year.

Yes, you can point to Lou not doing enough at the trading deadline. But really, what did you expect? If he was operating under the asssumption that Stevens would be back, he probably didn't feel that he needed to go out and get anyone significant because the biggest acquisition anyone could hope for was Stevens's return. If he knew then that Stevens was done, perhaps he felt that it wasn't worth trading away what little talent he still has on the farm to make a push. You can't replace Scott Stevens, what's the point in trying?

Devils fans are spoiled. We're used to winning on a grand scale. Many of us didn't become Devils fans until about 10-15 years ago, so we weren't around for the bad teams. A winning Devils team is all we've known. In addition, many are Yankee fans, another team with a recent tradition of winning. Point is, we're not used to losing, at least not like this. But we have to step back for a minute and think about this: The Devils can't win the Cup every year. Obviously, this wasn't our year to win. You can be disappointed if you want, you can even be angry at players you thought should have done better. But considering everything we've had to deal with this season, we did damn good.

It just wasn't our year, that's all.

You know... it's been a gooooooooooood loooooooooong time since we've been beat by a better team.

I think we were a better team that what we showed vs Carolina. I think we were right on par with Colorado.

Maybe it is time for a semi-rehaul. Especially beef up the D and salvage what you can from lines 3 thru 4, but get us some secondary scoring. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, Parise can help in that regard. *crosses fingers*