BREAKING: Coach Burns has Colon Cancer

Elias Sports Bureau

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/me ponders calling my friend Marc who is friends with Burns's daughter....

Or is that insider trading?

This does sound health related. If it was a firing/resignation I don't think they would call it "non hockey related".

Quennville is the man -- then Robinson.

Don't you find it the least bit ironic that so many people want Joel Quenneville as Devils coach when he's the antithesis to trap coaching?! This is a guy who preaches a system to beat the trap.

Just a guess here, but I could see it involving Mike Danton possibly. I was thinking last night he probably was called away the other day to give a statement or two on what life was like coaching him last season. Hope its not health related.

Edited by Guest

Do you think it's possible that (say, Burns is sick) the team was distracted by this situation? I mean, missing practices is hard to hide from your own team, they had to have known something was up.

It *could* explain why some players appeared to have not been all there, ya know? I mean, I know our boys worked hard out there, but it was something I kind of picked up on -- they didn't seem like their heads were in the game.

It's just a theory...but damn, this could be huge.

I'm really worried.

Do you think it's possible that (say, Burns is sick) the team was distracted by this situation? I mean, missing practices is hard to hide from your own team, they had to have known something was up.

I don't think so. They've been playing .500 hockey since Stevens left. The missing practice thing seems to be recent.

And if he told the team that he had, say, cancer (no, no inside information... just that is the first thing I thought of thinking of Nielson)... wouldn't they want to win one for the gipper?

Plus, given how grating a personality he had, I don't think there are a whole lot of emotional ties there. I think there would be a lot more emotionally disturbing if it was Larry.

True, Don, but this team is pretty schitzo in the way it reacts to adversity. Sometimes they rise above, sometimes they wallow in their sorrows.

It was just a theory, I mean...it's plausible, I suppose, but I'm not saying that's an excuse or even the reason WHY things happened the way they did.

ANd yes, they've not been so great since Stevens went down, but near the end of the season they looked damn good. Once the series started, that all went down the crapper. It was just crazy how quickly a hot team went ice cold.

Agreed Don, you'd expect your Team would rally around the issue. Maybe Burns did not disclose the issue although. I hope it's not a health related issue.

Hopefully he's announcing that he's going back to a Police force although I know that's not going to happen. God luck Burnsy.

Agreed Don, you'd expect your Team would rally around the issue. Maybe Burns did not disclose the issue although. I hope it's not a health related issue.

Hopefully he's announcing that he's going back to a Police force although I know that's not going to happen. God luck Burnsy.

hey bing- god luck- a typo but fitting none the less