Which devils cup was your favorite?

Guest Devsrule

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which devils cup was your favorite?

I'm always so amazed when people didn't see last year coming, because it just looked and felt like it could happen at least half the year.

What's so amazing about it? A lot of us went into the postseason thinking the Devils had one big advatange: their playoff draw. There were boatloads of offensive questions on this team heading into the 2003 postseason.

<JESTER>

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's so amazing about it? A lot of us went into the postseason thinking the Devils had one big advatange: their playoff draw. There were boatloads of offensive questions on this team heading into the 2003 postseason.

Well looking at the team and the way they were capable of playing I was very confident. The reason Lou didn't mess with them much last year is because they were very jelled and everyone had a particular role.

I don't think anyone's an idiot if they didn't think so, but to me it was apparent that that was a team that could make a serious run for the Cup. And the long streak in January was a great precursor of what they could do when firing on those cylinders.

But it was more than that too. It was the ability to come back in games. That's something we really didn't show this year and so you kinda knew it wasn't gonna magically change in the playoffs.

Edited by Elias Sports Bureau

These memories come flooding back to me.

McKay jumping on the glass getting the OT winner.  Claude Lemieux shooting on the wing in Philadelphia.  Niedermayer end to end rush in Detroit.  Stevens getting the rebound in Pittsburgh  and putting it in right after the Penguins score with about 30 seconds left in the game.  Stevens leveling Kozlov then telling the whole Detroit bench "You're Next!"  Peluso crying like a baby on the bench.  The Devils having long stretches without allowing a shot on goal.  It was something like 18 minutes in game 4 vs. Detroit,

I've been at both cup clinching games at home.  The CAA was shaking more in 1995.  People were jumping and down and hugging each other more (it seemed to me.),

Finally, one never forgets their 1st cup.

Rock - you pretty much nailed it, I remember all those moments clearly. Erasing the bitter taste of '94 - '95 was a watershed. Sitting in Sec. 231 the CAA (Byrne back then) was shaking before the players hit the ice (Ive only felt it shake like that during Springsteen concerts) The sight of Peluso crying on the bench still gets to me -- someone had a champagne bottle and we passed it all around...someone else took a picture of my wife and I hugging while the cup was being skated in the background and to this day that is my favorite pic of us alltime. You never forget your first girlfriend... :evil:

I went with 2000. Funny because it sort of bugged me at the time. I watched and just thought well of course they'll win. But then game 6 I was just so totally sold on them! The whole OT for some reason just made it all so -- I don't know -- it's what really made them my team.

'95 I remember thinking well .. hmm.. they did it. but I wasn't really following hockey. I thought it was neat because I had so assumed the Wings had the Cup! :lol: I also remember thinking how weird it was to have the team in Jersey. It really hit me then because I was sort of annoyed that NYC kind of claimed ownership when they'd just had the repulsive Rag$ win.

Last year was really neat to though. I mean it wasn't a walk in the park... and I went to so many of the games. It felt like I was a little more vested in the team. I felt a little shame for doubting them at the end of the regular season.

2000 for that series against Philly.  Plus it was probably the best Devil team in terms of skill and balance of defense/offense ever.

I think the year after they were better actually, its just too bad they fell one game short.

I think its a wash really. Besides a few spart part differences, the only major difference was O'Donnell vs. Malakhov. Now Malakhov may be more leaky but he scored a few goals if I remembered right. My memory is getting bad in my old age what can I say? :P

I agree that 2000 was the most complete team we had. It was my favorite because it was the first Cup win I was able to watch. In 1995 I still hadn't persuaded my parents to get SportsChannel so I was watching blurry semi-images on the screen and listening to the play by play (it was still better than radio).

ROFL ND5! I did that too! What I would do is turn the picture off and just listen to the announcers. If the Devils were doing well my parents would always order it from March until the Devils were eliminated. It's funny. I lived for the overflow games because they were shown unscrambled. Now I hate overflow games with a passion because they are on Metro.

I'm always so amazed when people didn't see last year coming, because it just looked and felt like it could happen at least half the year.

<JESTER>

Oh I don't know, I do think last year was kind of a surprise - certainly nobody expected it before the year began. Then the year got underway and they were doing well, and I was more positive than most about the team (I did like the chemistry, the grittiness, the defense) but I also didn't think they were good enough to win it all - go a long way yes, get the most out of their talent certainly, but not quite enough to go all the way.

Even as they were doing well in January and such there was always that specter of the killer playoff draw looming if they didn't win the division. They did that by the slimmest of margins and they got the good side of the draw which helped, but honestly I didn't think they'd beat Ottawa...I thought they'd play 'em tough - 7 game series right down to the wire, but beating them was something else. Then when the Devils got up 3-1 it looked like smooth sailing but after Ottawa tied it it looked like we were going into a hornet's nest for Game 7. After that great win, you would almost have been tempted to think the Finals would have been a walkover but that wasn't the case.

Not only was last year unexpected, it was a battle every step of the way from the negativity before and during the season to a tough division race to the final two rounds of the playoffs. Hell throw in Game 4 in Tampa if you want.

I agree that 2000 was the most complete team we had. It was my favorite because it was the first Cup win I was able to watch. In 1995 I still hadn't persuaded my parents to get SportsChannel so I was watching blurry semi-images on the screen and listening to the play by play (it was still better than radio).

ROFL ND5! I did that too! What I would do is turn the picture off and just listen to the announcers. If the Devils were doing well my parents would always order it from March until the Devils were eliminated. It's funny. I lived for the overflow games because they were shown unscrambled. Now I hate overflow games with a passion because they are on Metro.

I used to try to make out the shapes skating around through the blurriness and yeah, I remember being able to watch the overflows :) You could almost make out someone skating in that blur. Kinda like a painting that gets dropped in a puddle.

Goddamned Metro............

Edited by NewarkDevil5

The 1995 playoffs were the easiest to sit through, we were never on the brink of elimination, never had a do or die OT game. The only close calls was being tied with phlly 2-2, but Claude won the game before it went to OT. The cup win was very satisfying, made 1994 easier to swallow since we were the best team in the league and didn't even make it to the finals.

the 2000 cup was great because we finally buried the ghosts of all the early playoff chokes.

there were 2 overtimes in Pittsburgh in 95 though that were HUGE wins.. Broten and

MacLean in OT... not to mention the McKay OT winner... they weren't life or death for us

but still good stuff in OT :D

Definetly 2000. In 1995 I wasn't that big of a fan but in 2000 we started off with a new coach and a good feeling. We swept Florida which wa shuge since we lost the previous two years in the first round.

We then went on to take on Toronto which had so manu ups and downs. It started off with Leafs winning game 1 and Cujo dominating. We took the next two but in game 4 Tomas Kaberle scored a late goal from the point to win it for the Leafs by the score of 3-2 and even the series. In game 5 we knocked off the Leafs 4-1 and in game six we finished them off in styyle scoring in the firsr 30 second sin and then same in the 2nd and shuting down the Leafs as they only got 6 shots.

It was then off to Philly. Niedermayer scored less then a minute in and we cruised to an easy win and just for a bonus Bobby Holik scored his first playoff goal in three years. In game 2 we started off well but a late 2nd period goal tgave the Flyers life and then Rich Tocchet took over in the 3rd. We lost the next two and we were down 3-1. Back home Bobby Holik scored on a rebound as he jammed one home and we destroyed them with some nice playes from Sykora and Elias. In game 6 it was scoreless all game until Claude Lemiuex answered the call with a few minutes left then Alex Mogilny added some insurance to send it home for game seven. Lindros returned in that game to score a late goal with 30 seconds left. In game seven Stevens started it off with a huge open ice hit on Lindros changing the Flyers captain' career for ever. It was tied and Patrick Elias wacked home the game winning goal with under three minutes left. I went crazy after that goal as it was the biggest goal I have ever seen as a Devils fan. We were going to the Stanley Cup!!!

On to Dallas where in game we dominated. I remember as Elias went in all alone and never shot and the fans started to boo and then from behind the net he dropped a no look pass to Sykora for an amazing goal. Daneyko scored his first goal in a few years and it was amazing. We all remember Gary Thorne saying, "Let the celbration begin in the Daneyko house hold. It must be a leap year." We kept coming after that with goals from everyone as we went on to cruise 7-3. Now Belfour said he played bad because of cough medecine and maybe he was right because in game two he was great as Hull tipped in the winner in the third. We took game three and four and went back home with a chance to win the Cup on home ice. It was such a great game with both goalies making amazing saves. Who can forget Marty's aamzing pad save on Lehtinen and watching Lehtinen with the "How did he make that save' look on his face. It went to OT with the Devils dominating. Mckay hititng the post, Brylin in front with all day to shoot and Beflour ropping him and then in the second OT with Mogilny on the breakaway and Belfour was amazing. Marty also ha doen amazing cross crease save and of course a new superstar was born in Melanie Brodeur in her Devils' cowboy hat with the kids. Finally Modnao tipped one home in triple OT. I was sick in the stomach from that goal that night. In game 6 in Dallas Niedermayer scored a SHG but Keane tied it. Sykora had to leave the game after getting nailed by Hatcher. It went to OT again and nothing in the first. It was the greatest two game nail biter I had ever seen. Finally I can remember Mike Miller calling the goal, "Stevens dumps it through the goal area...Elias chasing it down out front to Arnott, He scores, Jason Arnott scores and the Devils have won the Cup!!!

We finally did it. It was so amazing and I was so overwhelmed. All those first round upsets and finally the Cup came back to New Jersey and we won in such a great way. Robinson jumping off the bench and going ino the pile. Elias on the cell phone lying with Sykora's jersey and then Robinson wearing it.

Now I didn;t look up any of this. I remembered everything I said about 2000 and a lot more. Maybe it is because I have watched Second Heavan so many times or maybe it is because 2000 meant so much to me. 2000 had more ups and downs then 1995 and 2003. Besides the Sens series 2003 didn't have as much drama while in 1995 it was our first win but we were never down in a series I believe.

2000 was just all that.

Edited by devilsrule33

Don't forget 1995 was on home ice, and games 3 and 4 is as good as it's going to get at CAA. The place actually had an atmosphere. And finally seeing MacLean, Daneyko, Stevens, Broten, Driver etc hoist that Cup was something else.

closing out Boston Garden was also huge, remember the B's had a good year and were looking for revenge in 95. There window of opportunity to win a cup was about to close. I honestly thought it would go 7 and we'd lose, it's still amazing to see what we did to the Bruins/Flyers/Pens/Wings during those playoffs, just dominant teams that were soundly beaten.

so much for the Nords/Flames final I though would happen :rolleyes: Mark Howe didn't get his Cup after all.......

Although the first is the best. Last years' was unexpected. '95 we knew we had a chance after the previous playoff. 2000, we were strong as hell and beat every kid on the street (although Philly almost shocked us). Last year, I was praying to make the playoffs and look what happened. So the final answer is Last year.

Interesting that 2003 is leading the way. We were so good in the regular season and our first two rounds were so easy. We only hit a road against Ottawa which was an amazing series I must say but the finals was lacking something about it that the other two's had. Even though winning in game seven was amazing. Watching Friesne score and just raise his right hand in the air was awesome and watching Daneyko trail behind. 2003 was awesome just wasn't 2000 good for me as I previous wrote how 2000 was amazing.

Well, I think the nature of the board is that there are a few old die-hard vets, and a LOT of younguns. And a lot of people new to cheering the team on.

Plus there is the matter of memory fading. I still don't remember Randy's OT goal that someone mentioned that happened in 1995. I do remember the one against the Bruins ... the tap in on what looked like a harmless play... but I think that was Broten. On the other hand, I could describe almost every game from last year in intricate detail. [and if I ever needed a refresher, I know a great site...]

On to Dallas where in game we dominated. I remember as Sykora went in all alone and never shot and the fans started to boo and then from behind the net he dropped a no look pass to Elias for an amazing goal.

Ummm, you got this backwards... It's Elias who went in alone and took the defender and Belfour with him and Sykora who got to put it home.

I LOVE that goal. It stood as my favorite for a very very long time from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Well, I think the nature of the board is that there are a few old die-hard vets, and a LOT of younguns. And a lot of people new to cheering the team on.

Plus there is the matter of memory fading. I still don't remember Randy's OT goal that someone mentioned that happened in 1995. I do remember the one against the Bruins ... the tap in on what looked like a harmless play... but I think that was Broten. On the other hand, I could describe almost every game from last year in intricate detail. [and if I ever needed a refresher, I know a great site...]

It was quite an amazing goal and his celebration really mad eit all that as he jumped on the boards and held the glass as the teamc ame and jumped around him as he was on top of them all.

Edited by devilsrule33

On to Dallas where in game we dominated. I remember as Sykora went in all alone and never shot and the fans started to boo and then from behind the net he dropped a no look pass to Elias for an amazing goal.

Ummm, you got this backwards... It's Elias who went in alone and took the defender and Belfour with him and Sykora who got to put it home.

I LOVE that goal. It stood as my favorite for a very very long time from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Well can't get everythign right but that was definetly such a nice goal and it was an awesome way to start the finals.

And for Don, I can tell you about every game of 2000 but last year I can;t really remember that much. I remember certaing ames here and there but not that much.

Edited by devilsrule33

It was quite an amazing goal and his celebration really mad eit all that as he jumped on the boards and held the glass as the teamc ame and jumped around him as he wa son top of them all.

What game was that in? Gak. Old-timers at 30.

Interesting that 2003 is leading the way. We were so good in the regular season and our first two rounds were so easy. We only hit a road against Ottawa which was an amazing series I must say but the finals was lacking something about it that the other two's had. Even though winning in game seven was amazing. Watching Friesne score and just raise his right hand in the air was awesome and watching Daneyko trail behind. 2003 was awesome just wasn't 2000 good for me as I previous wrote how 2000 was amazing.

I think that the other thing that makes a big difference is to the fans who aren't in Jersey.

For the first 10 years of my Devils fandom, being a fan meant watching boxscores and ESPN lowlights. That meant very limited viewing of the team. About six years into that, I got my computer, then I could read actual stories about the team more than who scored the goals and eventually access NHL Radio (which used to take me a whole period to boot up since it tended to crash my computer every time.)

So for 2003, there's Center Ice and I've got every game. And I've followed the team every step of the way. And damn, I still think this team just oozed heart out its pores and that means more to me than if it was the best team overall.

But really Center Ice contributed enough to the intensification of the fanaticism as anything. It's a god-send for all of us not in the area. If we listened to what the media SAYS this team is, we would never know what the team ACTUALLY is.

Edited by Elias Sports Bureau

Guest Devsrule

2000 had everything a fan could want:

- A sweep (Florida)

-A win vs a dirty cup deprived team that was actually favored to win (Leafs)

- A 3-1 comeback vs our rivals, plus winning the game 7 on their own ice (Philly)

- A triple Ot winner (i think it was triple?) to win the cup

Not much more you can ask for there.