Once again Cujo doesn't get out of 2nd round.

Rock

Just another reason to thank Lou for sticking to his guns to get Scott Stevens instead of the package including Cujo and Brind'Amor as compensation for the Blues signing away of Brenden Shanahan from the Devils. I also believe if Lou lost and got Cujo, the Devils wouldn't have drafted Brodeur. B )

Manta last year you were right.. he got outplayed... but this year... where was all the

offense ?? Where was Hull and the backing of his big mouth ?? (3 goals)... Datsyuk

who is now one of 5 people in NHL HISTORY to score 30 goals in a season but

get NONE in over 10 playoff games that same year.... where was that Grind line (I hate

that freaking name) that ESPN was salivating over ??? Or the high holy "Let's rename

the Norris to the Lidstrom award cause NHL Writers are too lazy to look elsewhere"

the Wings looked old tired and OUTMATCHED all series long... and thank God

for it :)

You can't blame CuJo this time.....

When you sign a contract for $9 million per season, you have to bear the responsiblity that goes along with that.

Your paid like a superstar you should play like a superstar--he is paid to win the Cup.

Every year its the same thing. Giguere was better, Kipper was better, Marty was better, etc....

When you sign a contract for $9 million per season, you have to bear the responsiblity that goes along with that.

Your paid like a superstar you should play like a superstar--he is paid to win the Cup.

Every year its the same thing. Giguere was better, Kipper was better, Marty was better, etc....

on a normal team you're right, but Shanahan, Hull, Chelios, Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc

are ALL paid mega-dollars to bring home that Cup too, I'd think CuJo held his end

more then those guys did

Just another reason to thank Lou for sticking to his guns to get Scott Stevens instead of the package including Cujo and Brind'Amor as compensation for the Blues signing away of Brenden Shanahan from the Devils. I also believe if Lou lost and got Cujo, the Devils wouldn't have drafted Brodeur. B )

I don't think it was ever a case of Lou sticking to his guns. The offer of Brind'Amour and Cujo was, at the time, an inferior compensation package for a player of Shanahan's ability and potential. The Blues shot themselves in the foot by lowballing the Devils, and Lou swooped in and stole one of the best defensemen in the NHL.

As for Cujo vs. Calgary...it's just another case of his team failing to capitalize on some stellar play from its goalie. Ask Leafs fans about what Cujo can do in the postseason, and what his team doesn't do for him.

<JESTER>

you can't blame cujo for the team not scoring a single goal in the their last 2 games.

you would expect, that if cujo could hold the flames to scoring 1 goal - that the vaunted forwards for the wings could find a way to score a couple.

I live in Detroit, and it is too funny how these wings fans are finding ways to explain their pitiful performance the past two years in the play-offs........

He could be making $20M a year... I can't see how he can be blamed for his team not scoring any goals.

If OUR goalie had put up a 1.38 GAA and had a .939 save %, we might still be in this thing. Cujo played absolutely awesome the last two games...

He stopped 43 of 44 shots last night and yet somehow it all falls on his shoulders. :blink:

Marty was already in the system by the time CuJo was on the table (drafted in '90).

I feel bad for CuJo -- he was great - as solid as anyone could've asked. I hate when people quip not great enough. Marty this year = not great enough.. CuJo = snakebitten again.

I feel bad because Joseph IS streaky reflexive and all but when he's good no one is ever there to back him up. it sucks. Maybe because he doesn't instill the confidence in his team, being streaky reflexive et al. :noclue:

I had had it before they even hit the 2nd period last night. I was actually glad the Devils weren't around -- I guess it's always this rough but sheesh every game these playoffs -- I'M sore just watching!!

It's true every else someone else is better. And it doesn't matter what he does, if he stands on his head or nothing. I don't even find him at fault.

He is paid to give his team THE CHANCE to win. He can't go to the other end and score goals in OT games.

He made some downright fabulous saves in that game. Really stoned them on goals that woulda been scored on many many NHL goalies.

In a scoreless game through much overtime, I hardly think he's the one to blame. All the marquee forwards who didn't register a point during the series might want to look at themselves.

Edited by Elias Sports Bureau

As for not drafting Brodeur, they had already drafted him at the time they were offered Cujo as compensation. That was part of the reason they were able to successfully able to argue they were being offered something (a) they didn't need and (b) Cujo was injured anyway and would therefore be a risk for them to take and try to trade.

At the time the Devils had the following goalies who could play in the NHL (that I know of):

Burke

Billington

Terreri

They had drafted Brodeur AND Dunham in 1990. There was no way they needed Cujo in the summer of 1991 (when the compensation was offered). In addition, Lou had looked at Cujo's medical records and he knew Cujo had sustained a knee injury. Even had the Devils accepted him as compensation simply to trade him, since they did not need him, they would be accepting damaged goods (at the time) and taking a chance that he would be untradable. The Blues never thought Lou would actually look at the medical files and raise this issue. The arbitrator has said that this was actually a key issue in the decision.

First off, CuJo makes $8 million.

Second of all I agree this series isn't a referendum on him. Plus he's never been on a team that's 'supposed' to win until the last two years. That said, for whatever reason, he has a habit of finding the short end of the stick (the Olympics being Exhibit A).

Alright let me explain, when Cujo was the Leafs all I heard what a great goaltender he is. Then I looked it up and saw he doesn't get out of the 2nd round. He may be a great goaltender, may have played great, but he still didn't get out of the 2nd round. This post is a result of having to endure all the smack of how Cujo is better than Marty talk. I'm not saying he was the blame for the Wings ouster, just was saying another 2nd round exit for him.

I really thought that Brodeur was drafted after the Stevens debacle. Oh well, got my years mixed up.

Hope that explains the post. B )

As for not drafting Brodeur, they had already drafted him at the time they were offered Cujo as compensation. That was part of the reason they were able to successfully able to argue they were being offered something (a) they didn't need and (b) Cujo was injured anyway and would therefore be a risk for them to take and try to trade.

I'm not sure if the arbitrator considered what the Devils needed and didn't need during the Shanahan hearing. But the injury thing played a big role in it. The bottom line is that the Blues wanted to give the Devs Brind'Amour (17-32-49) for Shanny (29-37-66). No dice.

<JESTER>

I heard the same thing from Leaf fans: "If Cujo played on the Wings he would win the Cup every year".

Well, that STILL hasn't happened.

We lost too a younger, faster, more aggressive team plain and simple.

We missed Federov big time.

I don't blame Cujo....but a healthy Hasek would have stolen that game for us.

nnoooooooooo way

reflex goalies lose their level of play FAR faster then any other goalie does... and he

was already showing the signs that it was over... before he packed up and ran away

with his little groin limping between his legs

I think your goalie situation actually worked out best.... Legace got his chance but bombed and CuJo did a good job !!!

Hasek's a joke and you should rid him first chance you get !!

Yes, it's another early exit for Joseph. But I think he played his best playoff hockey this year since the late 1990s, when he stood on his head to win those first-round series with the Oilers.

I'm not interested in making excuses for the guy. The fact is that many of the teams he played on weren't all that good. I think the years in Toronto were disappointing though. Losing to the Devils twice hurt (especially in 2001, when the Leafs had us on the ropes) and losing to the Hurricanes in the ECF was a tremendous disappointment.

This post is a result of having to endure all the smack of how Cujo is better than Marty talk.

Oh believe you me I know where you're coming from with that. I had to listen to years of Kry BS about how CuJo was god and a 'real' elite goalie while Marty was overrated :P

But Kry's not here and after what Hasek put CuJo through this year I'm a little more sympathetic to him these days :lol: