The Race For 6th Thread

Triumph

If Marty gets hot we can beat anyone...

If we escape Round 1 things will be very interesting...

Hopefully we start scoring more than 1 goal/game...No shootouts in the postseason boys!

Not the way we've been scoring. Marty has been playing spectacular and doing everything he can do but scoring 1-2 goals a game won't cut it. Maybe, just maybe against Florida. Who knows.

I don't really see us beating Florida at this point either.

Too early to say that. I still give them a pretty good chance to beat the Panthers.

Too early to say that. I still give them a pretty good chance to beat the Panthers.

The thing that scares me about Florida is Clemmensen. He plays great against us, and I think they would start him over Theodore if they play us. I'm sure he'd be pretty motivated to beat us too, and given how this team has trouble scoring for stretches at a time, the Clemmer factor is just food for thought.

The thing that scares me about Florida is Clemmensen. He plays great against us, and I think they would start him over Theodore if they play us. I'm sure he'd be pretty motivated to beat us too, and given how this team has trouble scoring for stretches at a time, the Clemmer factor is just food for thought.

Here's how I see everything unfolding...this is more of my gut than anything else:

Devils surprise us all by playing Florida pretty well...averaging over 3 GPG...there will be a couple of frustrating moments, but we'll be surprised at how well they played in that series overall. Devils win the series in five or six games. Either Kovy or Parise will have a big series.

More than a few fans will be convinced that the Devils are on their way to something special.

Round 2 will be brutal...Devils will be ousted by their second-round opponent in no less than six games, probably five. They'll get blown out in Game 1, which will effectively kill whatever euphoria we had leading up to that point.

I think (hope) the Devils could take Panthers in a 7-game series.

They have one line. ONE LINE. I don't care if the Devils employ a pre-lockout style line matching scenario, a team that can't shut down a single line in a playoffs series doesn't deserve to go deep.

That being said..I'd hope this team could figure out how to shut down a line in the playoffs.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Here's how I see everything unfolding...this is more of my gut than anything else:

Devils surprise us all by playing Florida pretty well...averaging over 3 GPG...there will be a couple of frustrating moments, but we'll be surprised at how well they played in that series overall. Devils win the series in five or six games. Either Kovy or Parise will have a big series.

More than a few fans will be convinced that the Devils are on their way to something special.

Round 2 will be brutal...Devils will be ousted by their second-round opponent in no less than six games, probably five. They'll get blown out in Game 1, which will effectively kill whatever euphoria we had leading up to that point.

Way to bring back memories of the 06 playoffs.

Way to bring back memories of the 06 playoffs.

I was thinking more '07 actually:

Tense series at times against Tampa before winning in 6.

Rough one against Ottawa.

Sounds just like 2006. I could see that happening easily, and if they beat Florida, that's likely what would happen.

Sounds just like 2006. I could see that happening easily, and if they beat Florida, that's likely what would happen.

Don't think it will be '06 because I don't think they'll be nearly as dominant against Florida as they were against the Rangers.

I was thinking more '07 actually:

Tense series at times against Tampa before winning in 6.

Rough one against Ottawa.

07 to me was different. I felt like we barely beat Tampa as like you said it got really tense at times.

Honestly if I would have to choose which opponent I would want in the 2nd round I would hope for Philly and possibly the Rags. Either way that will still be a tough series and I would give us little chance of winning.

Don't think it will be '06 because I don't think they'll be nearly as dominant against Florida as they were against the Rangers.

Yeah, I think your 2007 comparison is better after thinking about it- that Tampa series was in doubt at times, the Ranger series never was. This group isn't capable of beating anyone without giving us plenty of Maalox moments, so you know they'll face adversity at some point against Florida. It won't be an easy series against anyone.

Could also be like 2000 where we had no clue how we would do against Florida after having been out in the first round the previous 2 years. We then played the Leafs in a pretty tense series too but still won.

However again I do realize we do not exactly have the talent now as we did then so this scenario does seem unlikely, but I still have at least some hopes.

07 to me was different. I felt like we barely beat Tampa as like you said it got really tense at times.

Honestly if I would have to choose which opponent I would want in the 2nd round I would hope for Philly and possibly the Rags. Either way that will still be a tough series and I would give us little chance of winning.

For me the deadly four are Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers. The Devils maybe get to a Game 6 with some breaks, but I'd pick any of those opponents to win in five.

The good thing is at least either Philly or Pittsburgh is likely gone after the first round (unless NY somehow swaps positions with Pitt). And it wouldn't surprise me if either Boston or the Rangers went out in the first round (as long as it's not the Devils trying to knock them off).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

They wouldn't start him in the series...but they'd hook Theodore about as fast as he got the hook in Washington for Varlamov lol. And yeah that would worry me too. We only really 'got' to him once, a lousy two-goal first period.

Edited by NJDevs4978

For me the deadly four are Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers. The Devils maybe get to a Game 6 with some breaks, but I'd pick any of those opponents to win in five.

The good thing is at least either Philly or Pittsburgh is likely gone after the first round (unless NY somehow swaps positions with Pitt). And it wouldn't surprise me if either Boston or the Rangers went out in the first round (as long as it's not the Devils trying to knock them off).

What? Come on, you have been a hockey fan long enough to know that picking one team to beat another in 5 games is generally silly. This isn't basketball.

What? Come on, you have been a hockey fan long enough to know that picking one team to beat another in 5 games is generally silly. This isn't basketball.

I had the Flyers in five and the Rangers in five the last two times the Devils played them. I think I had the 'Canes in five as well...was wrong on that one.

I had the Flyers in five and the Rangers in five the last two times the Devils played them. I think I had the 'Canes in five as well...was wrong on that one.

I figured something like this would be your response, but just because the Devils have gone out in 5 in 4 of their last 5 playoff losses doesn't mean that is what's expected.

I figured something like this would be your response, but just because the Devils have gone out in 5 in 4 of their last 5 playoff losses doesn't mean that is what's expected.

It has nothing to do with recent performances. I don't like those matchups. And I know they went 3-3 against the Flyers, Penguins, and Rangers (though 0-3-1 against Boston). I just have a bad feeling about all of those opponents.

It has nothing to do with recent performances. I don't like those matchups. And I know they went 3-3 against the Flyers, Penguins, and Rangers (though 0-3-1 against Boston). I just have a bad feeling about all of those opponents.

Again, though. You don't beat a team in 5 games without getting either phenomenal goaltending or phenomenal shooting (or both), and I don't see that much reason to expect either thing to happen. Regular season head to head records don't mean anything.

Distribution of Playoff Games in First Round Series From The Lockout Until Now:

4: 14.6%

5: 20.8%

6: 37.5%

7: 27.1%

Not a big enough sample, but it illustrates both your and my point pretty well. 64% of 1st round series have gone 6 or 7 games.

(I don't have later rounds handy, I happened to have these numbers so I threw them up here)

Edited by Triumph

Eh, a healthy Boston and Pittsburgh really are that much better than the Devils although you wouldn't normally pick division opponents in 5. Granted we haven't been healthy all year but neither was Pittsburgh early in the season.

I don't think the Rangers-Philly would be 5 this time, but I do think they'd beat us.

Edited by NJDevs4978

This.

But others are SUPER confident that Theodore will start against us. lol.

Right.

I hope you're right.

I wish I could be as confident as you.

Sadly, I definitely am not. Maybe if they show me something against these next three teams.

That would boost my confidence, as well as theirs I am sure.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

Eh, a healthy Boston and Pittsburgh really are that much better than the Devils although you wouldn't normally pick division opponents in 5. Granted we haven't been healthy all year but neither was Pittsburgh early in the season.

I don't think the Rangers-Philly would be 5 this time, but I do think they'd beat us.

Boston has been healthy all year save Nathan Horton, who's out. Horton and Tallinder isn't quite a wash, as Tallinder is better, but it's close enough.

4w0Yx.jpg?1

A guest blogger on Driving Play contributed this, it's helpful to the discussion. If the Devils are 40% to win any given game, they're 30% to win the series. I don't have the chops to figure out what it would take for Boston in 5 to be the most likely series outcome, but it would mean Boston being an amazingly good team, which they're not. I know you don't mean Boston in 5 being the majority of outcomes - that would mean them being the greatest team in NHL history. I don't think that's true for any team facing any team in the playoffs besides truly elite teams against truly miserable teams, or you'd see more 120-130 point teams in the regular season.

Edited by Triumph