If you went to the Arena and enjoyed it would you

NewarkDevil5

I would love a comedy club in Newark. That would rock and it could do get Thursday and Friday night business with the corporate people after work and good weekend business because of the local population. I love laughing for 3 hours for like 30 bucks tops.

-Scott

Thats something I really want to see them put into the complex. Comedy clubs, night clubs and theaters. Bring out the college students from University Heights to downtown instead of having them take a train to NYC. Keep the corporates in town late night a couple times a week. Make a culture of going to that area of downtown for entertainment. Thats what is really important. Make it so that people aren't even thinking "oh its Newark" when going to Devils games. Have them be so used to going to Newark for late night entertainment that they don't even think twice about it.

Myself I would probably just go to the arena. I don't do comedy clubs per se. However if a really good restaurant opened up, I could see going on a non-game day with the family. But, we shall see if everything does work out. As for the Theatre, I don't go that much, but it would most likely still be a Broadway experience.

id definitely go for other things.. it isnt any firther than CAA and I go there for other things.. and its closer then the comedy club I drive to...

Newark used to have a reasonably sizeable theater district. It didn't quite give New York a run for its money or anything, but there were over twenty theaters in downtown Newark in its heyday (as compared to something like 54 in New York City's Theater District at the time). I'd like to see some of that return to the city and I think that if people started getting used to the idea of going to Newark for entertainment and a good play opened on Broad Street, people would go to see it the same as they would on Broadway especially since chances are you could get the same quality actors and actresses due to proximity. Rent is also cheaper to the point where the theater would likely be able to pay the actors and actresses more as well as charge less for tickets.

By the way, Rock, if you're looking for some really good restaurants in Newark, try out Maize at the Robert Treat Hotel. It really is very good. I haven't tried out the Theater Square Grill at NJPAC yet, but I've heard very good things. There are also dozens of good Spanish, Portuguese and Brazilian restaurants in the Ironbound.

Comedy clubs are key though. They are the sorts of things that attract very wide audiences and would bring the college students from University Heights downtown.

i'd definitely go for concerts and things like that at a Newark arena, esp if they were cheaper/offerred better seating than MSG. I *never* go to events at CAA since its such a hike for me to get to and events at MSG are usually prohibitively pricey (hey alliteration!)

something that was a quick path hop away and cheaper/better than MSG or CAA would be worth the trip across the river.

Birch Hill Night Club which recently shut down.

Birch Hill shut down? Thats very sad, guess Quiet Riot wasn't drawing the crowd it used to.

java script:emoticon(' :P ')

Edited by ev0lemi

I hope the put up a place for concerts similar to The Electric Factory or Birch Hill Night Club which recently shut down....there are no good places in Northern NJ for shows.

sure there is... starland ballroom is much ebtter than birch hill... muich nicer.. a tad bigger and the shows are just as cheap .. i saw Fuel there but they got some other great peeps on their schedule and for me its closer than Birch hill by like a mile, lol. !!!

Birch Hill Night Club which recently shut down.

Birch Hill shut down? Thats very sad, guess Quiet Riot wasn't drawing the crowd it used to.

java script:emoticon(' :P ')

yeah after Birch Hill lost their Liquor License it was all downhill... plus it was too packed there

I love Starland much more, they serve liquor and... there are different levels for standing so u have more good spots to see the band!!!

The Birch Hill = meh

Old Bridge was all about the M+M Hall... all these big bands playing with "pits" at the Birch Hill and then these underground bands playing the M+M Hall with insane pits.

What about the Cove? My friend put a hole in the wall there.

(clarification: I know it's not in Old Bridge)

Edited by David Puddy

I don't go to Comedy Clubs but I will tell you that the one in Ocean Township, Monmouth County on Route 35 Rascals that has been there for years just shut it doors for good.. Out of Business. The owners have another on but have close 2 or 3 this year sorry to say.

Maybe it's not going to happen in Newark because tit's a dying business based on closings.

I don't go to Comedy Clubs but I will tell you that the one in Ocean Township, Monmouth County on Route 35 Rascals that has been there for years just shut it doors for good.. Out of Business. The owners have another on but have close 2 or 3 this year sorry to say.

Maybe it's not going to happen in Newark because tit's a dying business based on closings.

i haven't been to a comedy club for well over 10 years, i used to fequently go to rascals, sorry to hear that :o

going to Newark would be way easier then New Brunswick... and hell I could drink since it's a nice short train ride.. though me drunken stumbling through the Newark train station.. that COULD be funny :lol:

would be a good place to see any of the old O&A Comics I miss (Norton, Vos, Jay Mohr, etc)... count me as in !

Yeah they Closed that Rascals and the Verona one but opened 2 others... just different locations... Montclair and I forget where the other is...

plus the opened one in another state!!!

Everytime i go to Rascals, Stress Factory and Bananas they are sell outs!! Or at least look like it!

im pretty sure he means just a trip there.. like if there is a concert there on a day when there isnt a hockey game, or if there is a comedy show on a weekend there!!!

I would absolutely go to any event held at the arena....of course something that I'd want to see...like I wouldn't see the Doo Wop Reunion ;) .....I don't think I'd go to Newark for dinner and stuff like that, I mean I'm in college and rarely home as it is, but to go into Newark, there'd have to be an event I am going to. As for theater, like I said before, if something is offered in Newark that isn't on the great white way, then sure.