Tragedy for the Rag$

msweet

Yeah that's what I read.  Hard to believe he got away with half of that sh!t.  

For some reason, no one dared to stand up to him.  The Rangers were the perfect example of this...Messier had an absurd amount of power in that lockerroom as he finished his career there...way too much for a guy who was clearly waaaaaaaay past his prime, and whose presence was no longer remotely necessary (and similar to Vancouver, had become flat-out toxic).  But not only did Messier seem to think helping the Rangers win the '94 Cup entitled him to feel owed by that franchise for life (emphasis on HELPED...he did not do it alone...several Rangers played key roles...start with Mike Richter, who managed to keep his team in that infamous Game 6 long enough for Messier to perform his heroics), the Rangers seemed to echo the sentiment.  I don't remember one single other Ranger acting like they owned the fvcking team because of '94...not Graves...not Richter...not Leetch...none of them.  And notice how both times, when Messier didn't get what he wanted when he wanted it from the Rangers (a new contract when Patrick Ewing's was still being worked on, and the head coaching job), he couldn't bail out on them fast enough. 

For some reason, no one dared to stand up to him.  The Rangers were the perfect example of this...Messier had an absurd amount of power in that lockerroom as he finished his career there...way too much for a guy who was clearly waaaaaaaay past his prime, and whose presence was no longer remotely necessary (and similar to Vancouver, had become flat-out toxic).  But not only did Messier seem to think helping the Rangers win the '94 Cup entitled him to feel owed by that franchise for life (emphasis on HELPED...he did not do it alone...several Rangers played key roles...start with Mike Richter, who managed to keep his team in that infamous Game 6 long enough for Messier to perform his heroics), the Rangers seemed to echo the sentiment.  I don't remember one single other Ranger acting like they owned the fvcking team because of '94...not Graves...not Richter...not Leetch...none of them.  And notice how both times, when Messier didn't get what he wanted when he wanted it from the Rangers (a new contract when Patrick Ewing's was still being worked on, and the head coaching job), he couldn't bail out on them fast enough. 

Bingo.  This is why Messier is my most hated player in the NHL ever.  Above Barnaby, Avery and Domi.

Also doesn't help that his ego is constantly fueled by MSG network having Summer of 94 on seemingly constant re-runs and idiot fans who act like time stopped in 1994.  You can almost tell his ego is overloading his physical body when it gets fed as his eyes swell and tears pour out every time he at ceremony at MSG.  Those are not tears, it's excess vanity trying to escape his human form.

There are 2 things I remember about Mess (besides the obvious)

1) When he came back to the Rags for his second stint, he guaranteed the rags would make the playoffs that season. it was on the back of the Daily News (or NY Post)

"I guaranty we make the playoff's"......well they didn't make the playoff's and rag fans deny this guaranty ever happened. (I'd kill for a copy of that newspaper).

2) About the same time he signed with the rags for the second stint, there was talk the Devils might be interested in signing him (but he was looking for big money),  John McMullen came out and said something like "he's a nice young man who had a great career but his time is over, we don't need him at that price" (something to that effect, it was a nice way of saying he's washed up....take a hike)

Because he's def not butt hurt over the coaching thing:

“I have tremendous respect for the coaching fraternity and for the art of coaching,” Messier told The Post. “I don’t take it lightly. I understand the benefit of experience."

“But I have a lot of experience in this game and in winning. I’m not 32. I’m 52. There’s a little bit of water under the bridge. I’ve learned a lot. My experience shouldn’t be discounted or under-appreciated, either.”

Why didnt they let him coach the Whale, to get some experience ? He'd still be in the organization, and could be ready to jump in the NHL when the time was right.

Like J Mac did.

I'm sure he was above such a thing. Look at that quote... "My experience shouldn't be discounted or under-appreciated". 

I'm sure he was above such a thing. Look at that quote... "My experience shouldn't be discounted or under-appreciated". 

you're right, I forgot about his big ego

he'll be crying back to the front office in a year or so when he feels the "need" for attention again