Slow News Day: Kremlin Edition- Could IK Come Back to NHL?

RunninWithTheDevil

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think his coming back to the NHL is a major longshot, but you wonder if he now feels like he has nothing left to prove in the KHL and wants to try to win a championship in the NHL...of course, as we know, it's not really up to him in the end. 

Kovy's team won because most of the other teams folded and probably won't be back in the KHL. "His" team has the highest payroll and still almost didn't make it.

If Kovy comes back it's to play with Oveckin.

No teams folded during the season. Kovy's team had the highest payroll because he was on the team. The real problem with the KHL is not the budgets of the top teams, there are four or five teams with budgets rivaling mid-tier NHL teams, its the bottom teams which have 10% of the payroll of the top teams.

No teams folded during the season. Kovy's team had the highest payroll because he was on the team. The real problem with the KHL is not the budgets of the top teams, there are four or five teams with budgets rivaling mid-tier NHL teams, its the bottom teams which have 10% of the payroll of the top teams.

I wouldn't call that a problem. That's how top leagues in most sports look in top countries. I don't have the info on hand. But compare Barcelona's payroll with whatever team finished last in la liga last year. Even here, the Astros payroll is 25% of the Dodgers.

Kovy's team won because most of the other teams folded and probably won't be back in the KHL. "His" team has the highest payroll and still almost didn't make it.

If Kovy comes back it's to play with Oveckin.

Actually, I don't think any teams folded. Some teams may and probably will fold now, but I don't think any teams folded during the season.

I wouldn't call that a problem. That's how top leagues in most sports look in top countries. I don't have the info on hand. But compare Barcelona's payroll with whatever team finished last in la liga last year. Even here, the Astros payroll is 25% of the Dodgers.

It is a problem if you want parity. I suppose it all depends on how you define "problem." The point I was trying to make is that Kovy's team was realistically one of 5ish teams with a realistic chance of winning. Kind of like La Liga, where Barcelona, Real Madrid, and perhaps a couple of other teams are the only ones with a chance.

And that's why some of these leagues (soccer, especially, and Formula 1's another good example) are hurting and may even be defunct in 10-20+ years. It's not sustainable. Even half of the English Premier League's elite teams are operating with enormous debts (Manchester United, Liverpool, for example).

A model where one or two teams in the league can afford to purchase a "very good" player for $125 million (I say very good, because in the example of Gareth Bale, he is not the best player in the world but that's what Real Madrid spent for him), before even drafting the contract, and 95% of the rest of the league not spending even that much in a 20 year span, is not sustainable.

Or even worse, in Germany's case, the moment a team's development structure churns out a star player, Bayern Munich has the money to snap them up. Some of Bayern Munich's best players were from their bitter rivals Borussia Dortmund. Where's the fun in that? The whole European soccer model will implode on itself within 20 years unless major steps are taken.

Edited by DJ Eco

And that's why some of these leagues (soccer, especially, and Formula 1's another good example) are hurting and may even be defunct in 10-20+ years. It's not sustainable. Even half of the English Premier League's elite teams are operating with enormous debts (Manchester United, Liverpool, for example).

A model where one or two teams in the league can afford to purchase a "very good" player for $125 million (I say very good, because in the example of Gareth Bale, he is not the best player in the world but that's what Real Madrid spent for him), before even drafting the contract, and 95% of the rest of the league not spending even that much in a 20 year span, is not sustainable.

Or even worse, in Germany's case, the moment a team's development structure churns out a star player, Bayern Munich has the money to snap them up. Some of Bayern Munich's best players were from their bitter rivals Borussia Dortmund. Where's the fun in that? The whole European soccer model will implode on itself within 20 years unless major steps are taken.

Unless a whole bunch of trillionaire Saudi sheiks buy the teams.  :rolleyes:  I don't know if the system itself will implode, but I can't even imagine being a fan of a middle or bottom of the table team in any of those leagues...you literally know that you have NO chance of winning the title each and every year, while not having even a glimpse of hope of that situation ever changing unless the team is purchased by an individual with enough money to buy the team's way out (see Man City).  In fact, for most of those teams, their ultimate goal is to keep from being relegated on an annual basis.  That just sucks.