NFL Off Season 2016 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

We're running a bit late on this one (thanks new job) but here we go, the place to discuss all the offseason moves for all teams that are no longer playing football.  

The cardinal rule here is to always source-link with news.  Other than that, have at it.

NFL Coaching Tracker is here
RotoWorld Reserve/Future Contracts Tracker

As of this thread's last edit, the following is true:

Safe:
Chargers - Mike McCoy (but his coordinators are mostly getting the Vinny-Mac Style treatment)
Rams - Jeff Fisher and Les Snead
Colts - Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson
Bills - Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley
Cowboys - Jason Garrett (Jerry Jones had to come out and quash rumors, so there you go)
Jaguars - Gus Bradley (with a clear "win or else" mandate next year)
Saints - Sean Payton releases a statement saying he's staying in NO.

Unknown:
Jim Caldwell - the new GM will decide his fate, but Caldwell has support in the Lions' building.

Gone:
Dolphins - Dan Campbell will interview but will reportedly not return.  
Eagles - Chip Kelly (Vinny-Mac Style)
Giants - Tom Coughlin (resignation)
49ers - Jim Tomsula (Vinny-Mac Style)
Titans - Mike Mularky will interview but will reportedly not return.  GM Ruston Webster was not retained
Bucs - Lovie Smith (Vinny-Mac Style)
Browns - Mike Pettite and Ray Farmer (Vinny-Mac Style).  Interesting note here - there's some loophole in place that allows teams to block GM interviews from the Browns for their people.  From here:

Because owner Jimmy Haslam gave Sashi Brown control over the team's 53-man roster, general managers can prevent their scouts or assistants from interviewing. One rival executive told Around The NFL on Monday that they expected to hear from the Browns regarding a potential candidate, and planned on turning them down because of the loophole.

Hot Interview Candidates:
Mike Shanahan
Adam Gase
Teryl Austin
Hue Jackson
Matt Patricia

Also Being Interviewed/Requested for Interviews:
Mike Smith
Doug Marrone
Anthony Lynn
Josh McDaniels
Dirk Koettler

New Hires:
Chris Grier - Dolphins GM
Paul DePodesta - Browns Chief Strategy Officer (corrected from GM)

Other News:
Rams, Chargers, and Raiders all apply for LA relocation
Pittsburgh-based sandwich chain sends free food to Bills for knocking Jets out of playoffs
Eight Teams currently in line to be unable to turn down Hard Knocks - though it's possible the NFL will give clemency to whichever of the teams successfully relocates to Los Angeles

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

Lovie isn't a bad coach, but he was never taking Tampa to the next level

I wonder if they're clearing the decks for Coughlin, who has a residence in Tampa I believe.

Other speculation is that the Bucs didn't want to lose their offensive coordinator and that Lovie was fired shortly after the Dolphins sought permission for an interview. 

When Scott texted me this yesterday, I thought he was joking and ignored it.  Yet here I am turning on ESPN to hear Stephen A. Smith on First Take take it racial, and that's about when it sank in that this was real.

As a football move, this was disgusting.  Lovie was brought into a reclamation project of 3 years and was fired 2 years in.  He was not given a fair shake, and he was clearly not valued by management.  Whatever their motivation, that's disgraceful.

And yes, both the Fins and 49ers wanted to interview Dirk Koettler (sp?) their OC.

EDIT: Also, Sean Payton released a statement saying he's staying in New Orleans, so I'm taking him off the unknown list and into Safe.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

Well he's already ruined that defense as is....why not go full retard.....

as much as I hate Jason Garrett, least he has quality coordinators under him....this has implosion written all over it.....

To me.. this signing actually validates that Rex is gone if he doesn't make the playoffs in 2016. Almost as though upper-management said: "Look, do whatever you need to do to make it next season, because your career depends on it." --and Rex said: alright, let's go all in.

Perfect timing too.. because if the Jets are Top 3 again in defense next season, both Rodgers & Pepper will surely be getting head-coaching looks elsewhere. What better guy to supplement their departure(s)? :P

2 hours ago, '7' said:

The Rams are moving back to Los Angeles.

Additionally, the Chargers have 12 months to decide if they're going to move in with the Rams or take money from the league towards their current situation AND Mark Davis is not committing to playing in Oakland next year even though he lost his bid to move.

sh!tty day for St. Louis football, marginally so for San Diego, and not much better for Oakland, though LA now has their football team that they lost when the Rams left in the first place

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!
Sourcing

The NFL has to step back into LA slowly. It's a huge market but was never football crazy (though it was never a bad market...just underwhelming) Thrusting two teams at once is a mistake just like throwing the Rams into a heavy baseball market that was always meh about pro football (St. Louis) was a mistake as well.

San Diego has the 17th largest statistical metropolitan area in America and it is an area experiencing solid population growth. The Chargers should stay there. They'll be fine

Raiders stadium is a disaster. And their football culture is generally considered a bit shady and definitely not what the NFL wants to promote these days. Still there isn't really anywhere else to put them. San Antonio won't work. Texas is Dallas and Houston and a 3rd franchise muscling in there will be treated as 3rd class citizens. There is no demand for the Raiders in San Antonio. Nobody is clamoring for them.

53 minutes ago, '7' said:

The NFL has to step back into LA slowly. It's a huge market but was never football crazy (though it was never a bad market...just underwhelming) Thrusting two teams at once is a mistake just like throwing the Rams into a heavy baseball market that was always meh about pro football (St. Louis) was a mistake as well.

San Diego has the 17th largest statistical metropolitan area in America and it is an area experiencing solid population growth. The Chargers should stay there. They'll be fine

Raiders stadium is a disaster. And their football culture is generally considered a bit shady and definitely not what the NFL wants to promote these days. Still there isn't really anywhere else to put them. San Antonio won't work. Texas is Dallas and Houston and a 3rd franchise muscling in there will be treated as 3rd class citizens. There is no demand for the Raiders in San Antonio. Nobody is clamoring for them.

There was a longish piece in SI last year that putting the NFL back in LA was not going to be the homerun that a lot of people seem to assume.  It relied perhaps too much on anecdotal evidence and man-on-the-street interviews, but it did make a fairly convincing case that there just isn't a ton of enthusiasm for an NFL team.  It sort of reminds me about the problems that Miami based pro-franchises, including the Dolphins, have in drawing big crowds on a consistent basis.  Just a lot of other things to do there, and a lot of transplants that already have their team allegiances.  At least with the Dolphins though, they've been around for 50 years, and it's two biggest names -- Marino and Shula -- are both fixtures of life in Southern Florida it would seem.  If you remember, Marino dropped the opening puck at game 1 of Devils/Panthers in 2012, which gives you a sense of how revered he is down there. 

You add to the mix the possibility that we've reached "peak-NFL," the whole thing might not turn out so great.  Of course, I'm usually wrong in most of my predictions about these sorts of things, so what do I know. 

The Dolphins issue's are not really issues. They're still top dogs to Jax/Tampa (though perhaps Jax ate into the Dolphins northern Florida base a little when they arrived with a bang in 1995. Though at this point Jax is pretty much inconsequential and shouldn't exist. Moving into that new generic stadium after the rocking, fun Orange Bowl (which they never had trouble selling out and had a true home field advantage) was also a mistake. Nobody seemed to like sitting in a 120 degree frying pan Joe Robbie. The new renovations and perhaps if they go back to the classic uni's fulltime (and winning of course) will bring the Dolphins fans back. 

I'll say this though about L.A. HUGE bandwagon there. If the Rams are ever good that town will back them like crazy like they do to the Dodgers, Lakers...and recently we've seen how massively popular the Kings have gotten. The NFL knows how powerful a championship L.A. franchise can be once that bandwagon gets rolling. It can even get national traction that teams like the Colts could never get when they were great.

What kind of bush-league operation is the NFL running these days? They're just going to toss two teams into a market at once in the same stadium? We know all sports leagues work in terms of dollars and cents before anything, but the NFL is so confident in their popularity that they can overtly shiit on three markets and the fans in them. They're dumping a few franchises in LA where they know they'll fill that new building even if LA won't collectively give a damn about or build a real fan base around either team.

Hue Jackson, formerly from Cincinatti's OC role, crosses intrastate lines and becomes the Browns HC.

It's not official AFAIK, but it looks like the Giants wlll promote Ben McAdoo to the HC position and retain Steve Spagnolo as the DC.

As to rumors:

• The 49ers GM doesn't want to hire a coach that threatens his position.
  • Arian Foster will likely be cut before his salary becomes guaranteed
  • Kaepernick may end up in Cleveland, and Manziel will most likely be cut by Cleveland