New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, '7' said:

Wright is such a choker. Good lord

This sh!t can't continue.  This zilch should be batting 8th.  

Dammit.  That loser better not be in the lineup next game.  Let Flores play third.  

Wright already hurting his team...took all of one game.  Useless in the field and useless at the plate.  Not fair to his teammates for him to get chance after chance to kill games.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Well he hardly was alone tonight, between Cespedes dropping the fly ball, Conforto not getting to third on that ball bouncing over Cain's head...once again the Royals did all the little things better.

Of course it wasn't all him, and the Royals are clearly better, and it took some big breaks for the Mets to make it close (and some poor control by the Royals' pitchers), but Wright is literally a complete stiff at this point...it's harsh but it's the truth.  And he's a serious fvcking problem, and I don't care what he did in the past, because the guy playing in the present is nowhere near that guy.  I don't need to see him to continue to cost his team potential wins (or not contribute to them).  The guy had clutch issues even when he was good.  Something's gotta give here.

You're right. I just hate how the Royals are suddenly (pardon the pun) so god damn lordly. I mean a couple of errors and seeing eye singles and luck...I mean that WS could've easily swing our way

Though it is game 1...and didn't we sweep the Cards to start of 2007 as sort of revenge for 06. Didn't really get us anywhere

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Of course it wasn't all him, and the Royals are clearly better, and it took some big breaks for the Mets to make it close (and some poor control by the Royals' pitchers), but Wright is literally a complete stiff at this point...it's harsh but it's the truth.  And he's a serious fvcking problem, and I don't care what he did in the past, because the guy playing in the present is nowhere near that guy.  I don't need to see him to continue to cost his team potential wins (or not contribute to them).  The guy had clutch issues even when he was good.  Something's gotta give here.

With TC he'll get enough rope to hang himself and cost us games. In an AL park he needs to be batting 8th. 7th in an NL park

He'll have his moments but to be honest...DW probably still needs to be in Florida right now getting in shape and getting minor league games under his belt (or extended Spring Training. Not sure how it works) but regardless I would've held off his debut for another few weeks while he works out the kinks.

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, '7' said:

With TC he'll get enough rope to hang himself and cost us games. In an AL park he needs to be batting 8th. 7th in an NL park

He'll have his moments but to be honest...DW probably still needs to be in Florida right now getting in shape and getting minor league games under his belt (or extended Spring Training. Not sure how it works) but regardless I would've held off his debut for another few weeks while he works out the kinks.

I'm all for Wright getting more work in extended spring, though I don't think it's going to make much difference. 

At this point, though I know it won't happen because Wright will continue to get treated like 2008 Wright no matter how much it screws the team, I want to see Flores start getting significant 3rd base time.  Find out if he can hit enough and field enough to be decent.  But as far as I'm concerned, Wright has damned near no leash with me.  He can't be killing his team in significant top-of-the-order ABs...especially since the Mets have clutch issues in the lineup as it is.  I'm so sick of just KNOWING he's going to K in big moments.  And now we have to deal with rainbow throws to first as well. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/116081/yoenis-cespedes-on-outfield-drop-im-human

I don't think this guy realizes how ugly it can get in New York, and how quickly it can happen.  He's now making some serious coin, even if there's a good chance that it's only going to be for 2016.  No one wants to hear this "I'm human" sh!t.  Even if you're just BSing in sounding angry with yourself over the error, that goes a long way with a lot of fans. 

I've talked about how Cespedes from a pure talent standpoint was never going to be a slam-dunk signing, but it was a good PR move, even with Cespedes doing damned near nothing after that big tear to start his Met career.  A lot of Met fans have had blinders on when it came to Cespedes' weaknesses, and they wanted to see the Mets step up just once to spend big, even on a flawed entity. 

But I don't think Cespedes...or this team, for that matter...is going to get a very long leash this season.  I think the boo birds will be out early if this team gets off to a 5-10 start or something like that.  This can be an easy team for fans to turn on very quickly.   

I'm not going to go crazy on these guys after opening day loss to the defending champs. Wright is horrible and TC is there with him. Cespedes has some flaws but he's going to do enough damage where he'll be good enough for what we needed given what we could get.  I really like the way these Royals play baseball. I wish the Mets played that way. I wish we had a good catcher and a speedster. I wish Dom Smith was 2 years older so we had a decent dedender.  As is, we're competitive and I can live with that but we are going very frustrated at times. If we could replace Wright it would help some things.

7 minutes ago, capo said:

I'm not going to go crazy on these guys after opening day loss to the defending champs. Wright is horrible and TC is there with him. Cespedes has some flaws but he's going to do enough damage where he'll be good enough for what we needed given what we could get.  I really like the way these Royals play baseball. I wish the Mets played that way. I wish we had a good catcher and a speedster. I wish Dom Smith was 2 years older so we had a decent dedender.  As is, we're competitive and I can live with that but we are going very frustrated at times. If we could replace Wright it would help some things.

I'm not either...I still think this team will win its 90 games.  It just sucks to see the stuff I was concerned about rear their ugly heads right away.  And I think TC showed another aspect of his "amateurish" side with this spring training...it never really felt like the Mets ever got down to business.  A good chunk of that falls on him. 

This team will not be able to beat anybody to win a championship. The Royals for instance are their kryptonite. Can they win it all? Yes, but things are going to have to break right for them.  They just aren't that good yet. Their holes are gaping. I agree I think they are a 90 win team. There are some teams out there they are simply going to clean house on. They will go stretches where they look unstoppable but those holes are going to be there until they are addressed and that's not happening this year or probably next.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not either...I still think this team will win its 90 games.  It just sucks to see the stuff I was concerned about rear their ugly heads right away.  And I think TC showed another aspect of his "amateurish" side with this spring training...it never really felt like the Mets ever got down to business.  A good chunk of that falls on him. 

What's maddening is yesterday gave you the feeling that the Mets were a long way away from beating the teams they really need to beat to win a championship, not only the Royals but teams like the Giants and Cardinals too.  Maybe even the improved Cubs.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What's maddening is yesterday gave you the feeling that the Mets were a long way away from beating the teams they really need to beat to win a championship, not only the Royals but teams like the Giants and Cardinals too.  Maybe even the improved Cubs.

A lot of the problem is that so many people have fallen in love with the starting pitching...it's led many prognosticators to gloss over the weaknesses.  And yeah, that loss night last felt EXACTLY as you described...that the Mets aren't nearly as close as they thought they were.  I still maintain that it's not all bad that they were shown that right away...I think these guys were assuming that they were just going to take the next step by default.  

And Murphy drives in the winning run for the Nats. I don't actually care, good for him and all that. It's just one of those "of course" type things. (And after they rallied in the ninth too)

Game 1 of a 162 game race between us and them, and they get sweetness while we have to take last night's blech and move on.

Of course is a good way to describe it, and I expected Murphy to be good for them.  And of course the Mets are going to get killed for letting him go and Neil Walker's going to be under a certain amount of pressure to be at least decent and plus in the clutch even though we know the real reason they let Murphy go is they wanted flexibility for having Dilson Herrera come up in the next couple years.  Even Murphy himself had nice things to say about Herrera and understood why the Mets let him go but of course this is going to be painted as him showing us up every time he gets a big hit, especially against us (and you know that's happening too).

The guy that really annoys me is Brandon Phillips, if he doesn't nix a trade to the Nats Murphy never winds up there.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I really  like having switch hitters in the lineup. So, i like Walker to an extent. I think the Mets really made that trade cause it ridded them of that douchebag  Jon Niese. I think  Herrera is ready and will probably be the guy before the season is over.  Walker being on a one year deal makes him fairly easy to deal if Dilson really makes that push. The Mets are going to need sticks. Dilson has himself a nice one.

We have no idea if Herrera can consistently hit major-league pitching...I can't make a big deal out of some good AA numbers, and definitely not Vegas numbers.  

That being said, I don't second-guess the Mets for not re-signing Murph...there were plenty of reasons not to.  In time we'll find out if the Mets were right to put their faith in Herrera.  Even if he doesn't work out, I understand the thinking.  And as we all know...no more Niese money.  Walker should be ok for the one year he's here.

Other thing I can't do is make a big deal out of Murph having a good game (and everytime he drives in an important run or does something good, we'll be guaranteed to hear about it, in a "See!  Mets should've hung onto him!" way).  We all know the guy is a solid major-league hitter...not great, but solid.  I would expect him to be continue to be that for the Nats for at least this season...probably longer.  I don't think anyone expected him to just immediately suck upon changing jerseys.  And this year, he should be very cost-effective for them...he's only making $8 million.  The money goes up significantly after that:  $12 million in 2017, and $17.5 million in 2018.  IF Herrera can become a good major leaguer quickly (and that admittedly is a big IF...all Herrera is at this point is unproven promise), he's going to be cheap for a while...he's under team control for 2017 and 2018, and his arbitration years start in 2019...he can't become a free agent until 2022.  The Mets obviously think very highly of Herrera and think he's going to be their second baseman in 2017.  Also gave them the opportunity to not have to pay Murph AND Niese...if the young starters all have good years (or even meh ones), their salaries are only going to go up, and quickly.  It's pretty nice to have a second baseman who will hopefully wildly outperform his salary over the next few years.  Murph + Niese (if his 2017 option was picked up) would've easily exceeded $20 million for 2017...Herrera will make a little over $500k. 

Anyway, it's one of those difficult decisions that every team eventually has to make (especially ones who can't afford too many mistakes).  Based on Murph's overall track record and flaws (brainfarts, poor fielding, missing games), and everything else factored in (needing to pay the young arms, having a second base prospect who should be ready by 2017, and having the opportunity to dump a not-good contract for a guy who should be a good player for the year he's here), I think the Mets absolutely did the right thing here.  And I just hope that every time Murph goes 2-for-4 with an RBI, that it doesn't lead to a laundry list of overreactions. 

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course is a good way to describe it, and I expected Murphy to be good for them.  And of course the Mets are going to get killed for letting him go and Neil Walker's going to be under a certain amount of pressure to be at least decent and plus in the clutch even though we know the real reason they let Murphy go is they wanted flexibility for having Dilson Herrera come up in the next couple years.  Even Murphy himself had nice things to say about Herrera and understood why the Mets let him go but of course this is going to be painted as him showing us up every time he gets a big hit, especially against us (and you know that's happening too).

The guy that really annoys me is Brandon Phillips, if he doesn't nix a trade to the Nats Murphy never winds up there.

Phillips is a Met killer though, do we really want him there? And did we really want Murph back for the $ he wanted. It's game 1...not going to go too crazy about it but Murphs brain farts all over the diamond really wont be missed. And as he tilts to the wrong side of 30...I really can't look at letting him go as the wrong decision.

It's a big game, sharply hit groundball to 2nd. Who do you want fielding that baseball? ;)

Bottom line is yea, we're maybe not as polished or championship savvy as the Cards/Giants. But you know when it comes to a starting rotation neither of those teams have the horses we do when they're at their best.

Edited by '7'

Hey guys,

Sorry, been completely out of pocket for the past week+, was in Brazil with the wife. Missed the opening game as I was flying back. Sounds like a game I'm glad I didn't see...

I'm not buying into Murphy suddenly finding hidden power at his age until I see over a full season, although I wouldn't deny it's possible. Will be interesting to watch (and quite frustrating if it IS actually real, for the sole purpose of our postseason odds). But yeah, I'm not blaming the Mets for passing on him. I would've been OK resigning Murphy for what he got in Washington but what the Mets did was totally fine. They arguably got a better player and gave up less assets (Niese versus $38M) and took on less risk in the move (1 year versus 3). Any grudge against the front office for not resigning him will be 100% hindsight if the power surge turns about to be real.

Edited by nmigliore

nmig, when did you get married?  Congrats man. 

Yeah, game was basically a "everything wrong with the Mets and everything right with the Royals" display.  And if you're not familiar with the particulars, the game was closer than it should have been...Mets got a couple of very fortuitous breaks (pair of dunkers) to score their runs...of course, not like the Mets didn't help the Royals out either, with Mr. $27.5 million dropping an easy fly that led to a run.  But like Has said, for one game at least, the Mets looked very much like pretenders. 

Was looking at the 2012 thread to see what we were all saying about David Wright, leading up to his signing and just after.  What really sucks is how much WORSE it's gone for him than I predicted it would since he re-signed.  I kept pointing to 2011 and his dreadful second half of 2012 as to why the Mets should steer clear of giving him the mega-deal...knowing what we do now, I wonder if his spinal stenosis was already starting to affect him back then, but no one knew it yet. 

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Phillips is a Met killer though, do we really want him there? And did we really want Murph back for the $ he wanted. It's game 1...not going to go too crazy about it but Murphs brain farts all over the diamond really wont be missed. And as he tilts to the wrong side of 30...I really can't look at letting him go as the wrong decision.

It's a big game, sharply hit groundball to 2nd. Who do you want fielding that baseball? ;)

Bottom line is yea, we're maybe not as polished or championship savvy as the Cards/Giants. But you know when it comes to a starting rotation neither of those teams have the horses we do when they're at their best.

Phillips may have been a Met killer before this current rotation got here but I'm not as worried about that now. At this point in their careers he's not as good an offensive player as Murphy who you know will hit good pitching. 

And I'm fine with letting Murphy go, I'd have just preferred he be in Anaheim. Especially since if Walker hits .200 in April everyone's gonna get all over him and the Mets