New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Phillips may have been a Met killer before this current rotation got here but I'm not as worried about that now. At this point in their careers he's not as good an offensive player as Murphy who you know will hit good pitching. 

And I'm fine with letting Murphy go, I'd have just preferred he be in Anaheim. Especially since if Walker hits .200 in April everyone's gonna get all over him and the Mets

You're always going to get uber-reactionaries.  If Walker tears it up in April and Murph slumps, then it's going to be how brilliant Sandy was not to sign him long-term.  No one can judge any of this either way based on one month (but some will sure try, lol).

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

nmig, when did you get married?  Congrats man. 

Yeah, game was basically a "everything wrong with the Mets and everything right with the Royals" display.  And if you're not familiar with the particulars, the game was closer than it should have been...Mets got a couple of very fortuitous breaks (pair of dunkers) to score their runs...of course, not like the Mets didn't help the Royals out either, with Mr. $27.5 million dropping an easy fly that led to a run.  But like Has said, for one game at least, the Mets looked very much like pretenders. 

Was looking at the 2012 thread to see what we were all saying about David Wright, leading up to his signing and just after.  What really sucks is how much WORSE it's gone for him than I predicted it would since he re-signed.  I kept pointing to 2011 and his dreadful second half of 2012 as to why the Mets should steer clear of giving him the mega-deal...knowing what we do now, I wonder if his spinal stenosis was already starting to affect him back then, but no one knew it yet. 

Thanks, man. I got married in October of this past year. It largely explains why I've been so inactive here. I've learned it's not so easy to follow sports like I used to, let alone contribute daily to a sports-talk forum (and that's without kids yet). :D 

Without trying to get too personal on a public message board, I'd be happy to add you guys via Facebook, if you're on that thing.

Edited by nmigliore

My daughter is already 7 1/2 and is starting to become interested in Daddy's sports (she's started watching the Devils with me).  Baseball has been a tougher sell.  And my wife couldn't care less about sports, which kinda sucks sometimes...she's fine with going, but hates watching them on TV.  It was kind of tough at times last season, because I really got sucked into watching almost every game...and she was saying "Do you need to watch the Mets every day?"  Well, yeah! 

And on the Matt Bowman front, he did wind up making the Cardinals for now as a reliever, due to an injury to Jordan Walden (expected to miss a few months).  I'll be keeping track of him mostly because it will be interesting to see what he does both in the majors, and out of the PCL.  It's been discussed here before, but his spring was far from special. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Hope Syndergaard gets out of this.  Think this team is a little fragile right now...trailing again right away will feel like "Here we go again..."

Nice!  Think Harvey better get used to the idea that he might be the 3rd-best pitcher in this rotation.

Imagine facing Thor a day after facing Young?  His pitches have to seem like they're 110 mph, lol.

Feel for these Met pitchers...defense just lets them down again and again.  They might actually be worse than I expected on that front.  

Noah probably said "I'd better not give the dipsh!t twins at the corners the opportunity to fvck me over", lol

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Feel for these Met pitchers...defense just lets them down again and again.  They might actually be worse than I expected on that front.  

At least the double play combination looks fine...figures the newcomers and Conforto are the only ones hitting and/or fielding.

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

At least the double play combination looks fine...figures the newcomers and Conforto are the only ones hitting and/or fielding.

Flores needs to get some games.  Mets have to find out if he's less of an out-maker than he's been to this point.  

2 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Captain Wright having a nice day. On base twice and two steals. Looks like his back is holding up well and he has confidence in it (knock on wood).

Talk to me when Wright doesn't whiff on hittable fastballs with runners on.  Guy is clutch Kryptonite.  Kinda sucks that we're reduced to celebrating BBs for Wright, but that's the reality.  

Opportunity coming up for Wright.

I'm stunned they walked the ghost twice after he couldn't catch up with a fastball yesterday, make him prove he can hit fastball strikes.

We're gonna find out about this pen early I suspect...I hope we're not sitting here cursing out middle relief or wondering if ghosts are in Familia's head after another hour.

I agree, if you can throw 92+, make Wright prove that he can hit your fastball.  

Great first outing for Thor.  Hope this pen takes it home.

Geez...would be nice if someone could get a big hit once in a while.