2016 Miami Dolphins thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

1 hour ago, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

One of the few things I love about this season is accountability. People who play like street level players get put on the street. Love those moves and even if this is a lost 1-15 this team better retain Gase.

Feel a little sympathy for Billy Turner.  I don't remember if he was any good at guard (probably not) but seems a little unfair to cut him when he's just thrown in at left tackle at the last minute. 

f12126822415bcbbd765a752a53a6efa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel a little sympathy for Billy Turner.  I don't remember if he was any good at guard (probably not) but seems a little unfair to cut him when he's just thrown in at left tackle at the last minute. 

Turner got picked up by Baltimore. He'll probably go on to be a 10-time Pro Bowler now. [emoji849]

And OF COURSE Reshad Jones is likely out for the year with a torn rotator cuff- he's getting a second opinion, but we already know what the second opinion will say. He's done. Completely out of the blue too, got a notification about it around 5:00. Had no idea he was even injured. No big deal, just our best player on defense and probably the most important player on our roster at this point. Glad we got to enjoy that win for a whole 24 hours before another swift kick in the fvcking balls. Anyone who says this franchise isn't cursed needs their fvcking heads examined, it never fvcking ends.

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

And OF COURSE Reshad Jones is likely out for the year with a torn rotator cuff- he's getting a second opinion, but we already know what the second opinion will say. He's done. Completely out of the blue too, got a notification about it around 5:00. Had no idea he was even injured. No big deal, just our best player on defense and probably the most important player on our roster at this point. Glad we got to enjoy that win for a whole 24 hours before another swift kick in the fvcking balls. Anyone who says this franchise isn't cursed needs their fvcking heads examined, it never fvcking ends.

It's almost Met-like right now.  If I had dime for every big win for the 2016 that was followed up with an injury report...

The one thing you can try to hang your hat on is that today's joke can become tomorrow's champ, and as was the case with the Pats, it can sometimes happen seemingly overnight.  And if you really look at the Dolphins' history...they were competitive for several years (the majority of their existence, really) before finally hitting a valley (their history is a bit like the Raiders', in that they were good to very good for a long long time, winning some championships, but have found the last decade+ to be rough sailing) ...when I think "cursed", I think more of teams like the Browns...teams that just seem destined to forever get in their own way and won't ever figure it out.  I don't see the Dolphins being destined to be non-competitive year after year.   

EDIT:  If you really think about it...there's a reason that both the Raiders and Dolphins still enjoy a national following to this day (along with some select other teams, like the Cowboys and Steelers).  The Dolphins were extremely successful for three decades...one of those teams that rarely seemed to turn in a losing season for so many years...even with their recent dry spell, they're still 92 games over .500 for their existence...Pats are the about the same (+95), but it's taken the BB teams to get them there (+122)...before that, overall they were pretty bad most of the time (but had some moments, and Parcells clearly began to right the ship, before Carroll almost sank it).  For comparison's sake, the Jets are now -75, and the Bills are -57.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Ha ha ha, same old Ryan defense...hell, same old Ryan team.  Of course they don't finish...they were probably just starting to get full of themselves, Ryan-style.  Love the way the Dolphins stomped out the Buffalo offense too.  Reminds me a bit of that Dolphin-Patriot opening day matchup where the Dolphins owned the second half. 

And the "throwback" jerseys should be the Dolphins home jerseys.  They're just RIGHT.  Dig the retro end zones too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ha ha ha, same old Ryan defense...hell, same old Ryan team.  Of course they don't finish...they were probably just starting to get full of themselves, Ryan-style.  Love the way the Dolphins stomped out the Buffalo offense too.  Reminds me a bit of that Dolphin-Patriot opening day matchup where the Dolphins owned the second half. 

And the "throwback" should be the Dolphins home jerseys.  They're just RIGHT.  Dig the retro end zones too.

The LeSean McCoy thing was classic Rex too, run the guy out there with a bad hammy for no good reason then watch him aggravate it.

Miami's schedule isn't terribad down the stretch either, they could make a run at .500 at least.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The LeSean McCoy thing was classic Rex too, run the guy out there with a bad hammy for no good reason then watch him aggravate it.

Miami's schedule isn't terribad down the stretch either, they could make a run at .500 at least.

Add in Rex bitching and coming unraveled on the sideline...his team got some cosmetic points there at the end, so he can fool himself and his team into thinking the game was closer than it really was.  Miami did take some bad penalties there at the end.  Never should have come down to an onside kick.

What a day. WHAT A DAY. For the first time since 2003, I got to see a win in person. What can you say about Jay Ajayi? Man does he run like a fvcking BEAST. Get the fvck out of the way, the Jay Train is gonna fvck your sh!t up! The defense manned up. We played physical all over the field and BEAT THEM DOWN. Still tons of work to do and improvement to be made, but I couldn't be prouder of this team after the last two weeks. We're finally forming an identity, and that identity is play physical as hell on both sides of the ball with power running on offense to open up the passing game. Props to Adam Gase- he's got the boys firing on all cylinders right now and it's been a lot of fun to watch. I wish we played the Jets this week- the bye will get guys rested and healed, but I wanna keep that momentum going! As far as the stadium- awesome. Looks beautiful and LOUD AS HELL. We actually have a home field advantage again when the team plays like they did yesterday. You couldn't hear yourself think after the Stills TD that put it away. It was ROCKING. I have pics that I will post. Flying back to Jersey this afternoon, but I don't even need a plane. Gonna savor this one baby. We're back in the conversation, and it feels great. [emoji1][emoji106]

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What a day. WHAT A DAY. For the first time since 2003, I got to see a win in person. What can you say about Jay Ajayi? Man does he run like a fvcking BEAST. Get the fvck out of the way, the Jay Train is gonna fvck your sh!t up! The defense manned up. We played physical all over the field and BEAT THEM DOWN. Still tons of work to do and improvement to be made, but I couldn't be prouder of this team after the last two weeks. We're finally forming an identity, and that identity is play physical as hell on both sides of the ball with power running on offense to open up the passing game. Props to Adam Gase- he's got the boys firing on all cylinders right now and it's been a lot of fun to watch. I wish we played the Jets this week- the bye will get guys rested and healed, but I wanna keep that momentum going! As far as the stadium- awesome. Looks beautiful and LOUD AS HELL. We actually have a home field advantage again when the team plays like they did yesterday. You couldn't hear yourself think after the Stills TD that put it away. It was ROCKING. I have pics that I will post. Flying back to Jersey this afternoon, but I don't even need a plane. Gonna savor this one baby. We're back in the conversation, and it feels great. emoji1.pngemoji106.png

Thanks, you just answered all of my questions re:  the "new" stadium experience.  Everytime I see pics, I'm blown away.  Hard to believe that's the same building that looked so blah and dated in 2014...I can't wait to see a game there in person.  I want to go New Year's Day (Pats play there), but the game might not mean anything to them by then...I'll know better by mid-December if that game has any playoff implications for the Pats (it could for the Dolphins, who look like they have a legit shot to fight for a #5 or #6 seed if they can keep this up).   

The Dolphins definitely have a shot at 9 wins now, but obviously their next two games are huge (Jets at home, at San Diego)...against two teams kind of in the same boat at the moment, trying to overcome a slow start.  If they win both games, their season gets very interesting in a hurry. 

• Like 1

There's no way the Dolphins arent wearing those as their full time uni's within 3-4 years. If I'm a Jets fan and I love the uniforms then that means the newfangled set really doesn't have much time left.

I like the 60's style endzone design too. Seems collegiate in a way. But it's refreshing to see something that harkens back to the AFL days and not just general "team font" in the endzone.

Such a typical Rex loss too. His team is flying, confident, pounding their chest "nobody runs on my defense...blah blah" Ajayi torches them for 200 yards. 

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

There's no way the Dolphins arent wearing those as their full time uni's within 3-4 years. If I'm a Jets fan and I love the uniforms then that means the newfangled set really doesn't have much time left.
I like the 60's style endzone design too. Seems collegiate in a way. But it's refreshing to see something that harkens back to the AFL days and not just general "team font" in the endzone.
Such a typical Rex loss too. His team is flying, confident, pounding their chest "nobody runs on my defense...blah blah" Ajayi torches them for 200 yards. 

I hope you're right re: the uniforms. They're sharp as hell, and they look great. I was hoping we'd go retro when it was revealed three years ago we'd be getting new uniforms, and we got the new-age garbage- it was a mistake then, and it'll continue to be a mistake until they ditch them. League rules mandate we can't switch full-time again until 2018, but I hope we switch to the retros immediately once it's allowed.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

As great of a victory as that was for the Dolphins...again, what a terrible (yet typical) Ryan loss.  And you could really see Rex coming apart on the sidelines.  Rex needed to find a way to take that win home at 17-6, and of course, his team didn't do it.  But his Ds fail constantly in the big spot...since he's been a HC, they've been doing that for years.  It's just that this really was a HUGE opportunity for a Rex-led team to take that big step forward, to shut the doubters up...and all he did was give them yet more ammo...it's so easy to say, "Yep, same ol' Ryan defense...game's on the line, they wilt."

What will always crack me up about Rex (not sure if he still does this, to be fair) is that he's the guy who talks a bunch of sh!t before a fight, winds up getting his ass kicked to the tune of a lost tooth or two, a bloody nose, a fat lip, and a black eye...then says "Oh yeah?  Well you just wait until next time!"   

I think the retro endzones look AWESOME in that building...they somehow click with the canopy girders...lots of geometry coming together.  Both the endzones and the jerseys should be permanent.  The endzones are so perfect in their simplicity. 

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive winning streak by the Dolphins.  A loss in any one of those games kills their season.  Instead they played killer today.  Jets are done.  

• Like 1

I don't understand why the Jets didn't go to Marshall more in this game, he was eating Maxwell alive - 9 targets, 6 catches, and 2-3 DPI calls that were so blatant it was unbelievable.  

Very sloppy game - all three turnovers were some of the most inexplicably bad I've seen, and the refs certainly got their screen time - but it was good to see Miami executing well enough to get the win and save the season.

What I am happy about is that the line is really coming together - Albert/Tunsil/Pouncey/Bushrod/James have allowed Ajayi to run for 500 yards in 3 games, and AFAIK kept Tannehill relatively clean, and this week it was against a pretty damn good front.  Monster effort from those guys - cutting loose Turner and Thomas was one of the best things to happen to that unit.  The schedule's not pretty (@SD, @LA, vSF, @BAL, vARI, @NYJ, @BUF, vNE) but if the line keeps this up, and the D-Line plays to its potential, then we'll be in all of these games going forward.  

This will be an interesting finish to the season.  The Pats, Raiders, and Chiefs have likely distanced themselves enough to secure their playoff spots if they keep playing this well, but WC#2 is right there, especially if Denver keeps faltering.

The Dolphins are a good team. I didn't expect them to come together like this when they were 1-4, but they've proved they got heart. (unlike my team) But what they DO share with my team, is regret from Week 1, in which they lost a game they should've won. Had Miami beaten Seattle they'd be 5-3 right now, with a completely different narrative around the league.

The next 7 games prove to be in the Dolphins favor. They play the Chargers, the Rams, and the 49ers (all teams they should beat) then they play Baltimore, a team they can definitely beat. Then Arizona at home.. and then the Bills, and my dogsh!t Jets. (who will probably look vastly different by that time, looking to tank the remainder of the season) If you're the Dolphins, you have to take the: "Why Not Us" approach here. You have momentum, you're relatively healthy, you have a doable schedule in front of you, and you're rolling into Week 10 looking for you 4th consecutive win. Let's see what this team's made of.

Edited by Beezer34

8 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

The Dolphins are a good team. I didn't expect them to come together like this when they were 1-4, but they've proved they got heart. (unlike my team) But what they DO share with my team, is regret from Week 1, in which they lost a game they should've won. Had Miami beaten Seattle they'd be 5-3 right now, with a completely different narrative around the league.

The next 7 games prove to be in the Dolphins favor. They play the Chargers, the Rams, and the 49ers (all teams they should beat) then they play Baltimore, a team they can definitely beat. Then Arizona at home.. and then the Bills, and my dogsh!t Jets. (who will probably look vastly different by that time, looking to tank the remainder of the season) If you're the Dolphins, you have to take the: "Why Not Us" approach here. You have momentum, you're relatively healthy, you have a doable schedule in front of you, and you're rolling into Week 10 looking for you 4th consecutive win. Let's see what this team's made of.

And they very easily could've lost the Browns game.  One of these seasons you're going to have to start weighing the "could've lost" games as heavily as you weigh the "could've won" games. 

Dolphins are 4-4, Chargers are 4-5 and 3-1 at home...why "should" the Dolphins beat them?  They could beat the Chargers, sure.  I don't think that can inked in as a should-win game though.  It will be a tough one.  Agree that the Dolphins should dispatch the Rams and 49ers though.

But yeah, Dolphins have a good schedule in front of them where they could do some damage...their biggest obstacle in the immediate future is having to go on the road in four out of six contest (including back-to-back West Coast games).  If they can go 4-2 in those six, that's an 8-6 record with 2 games left.  I'm thinking that probably gives the Dolphins control of their own destiny for a WC road berth.  What's also favorable to them is that their final game of the season (New Year's Day against the Pats at home) may not mean anything for the Pats by then.  So one of their "tough" games may not be tough at all. 

Couldn't agree more.  
Two more winnable games coming up - if Miami's gonna make some noise going forward, they're going to need to take care of both LA and SF.  Keep winning and things will take care of themselves.  

Announced earlier that Goff is getting the start for the Rams. We better devour that kid.

• Like 1