RIP Goal Bar

DevsMan84

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny you mention this...I actually wanted a girl and was thrilled when I found out we were going to have one.  I definitely dreamed about taking her to Devils games one day, but like you hint at, you're not necessarily sure if they're truly going to take to it. 

It's funny, because of summer, I think it will take her a little while to get back into it...out of sight, out of mind, especially for busy 10-year-olds.  We're going to the first two home games of the year, and I'm glad we are, because hopefully that gets her right back in, all in.

And I agree, I do like it a little better when it's just the two of us.  My wife doesn't mind going to games, but she's not super-enthusiastic about it (she only likes going...won't watch them on TV). 

I might even bring my daughter up to The Lofts pre-game...seems like it has a more welcoming feel all around. 

I have a feeling The Lofts will only be open to those who have tickets for that area going forward.  Looks like mini entry-level suites that all share common access to a bar than an actual bar area for everyone.

Yeah I have zero issues with the goal bar being gone.  I have sat in the goal bars seats 2-3 times a season for the past 5 years only when I can get cheap tickets (think versus Sabres on a Tuesday night in January and seats are $30 on SH).  The view was nice, the seats were those black leather ones with the logos, there was more legroom, etc and it had its own private bathroom.  That was the main draw for me and losing it is more like a big "oh well" to me.

The other thing the Devils need to focus on in the concourse are the monitors.  The arena opened right when large flat panel screens were starting to become the norm and a lot of them are either shot (blurry non-HD video) or non-functional.  Even the little monitors on those ledge tables are awful and need to be upgraded.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have a feeling The Lofts will only be open to those who have tickets for that area going forward.  Looks like mini entry-level suites that all share common access to a bar than an actual bar area for everyone.

Yeah I have zero issues with the goal bar being gone.  I have sat in the goal bars seats 2-3 times a season for the past 5 years only when I can get cheap tickets (think versus Sabres on a Tuesday night in January and seats are $30 on SH).  The view was nice, the seats were those black leather ones with the logos, there was more legroom, etc and it had its own private bathroom.  That was the main draw for me and losing it is more like a big "oh well" to me.

The other thing the Devils need to focus on in the concourse are the monitors.  The arena opened right when large flat panel screens were starting to become the norm and a lot of them are either shot (blurry non-HD video) or non-functional.  Even the little monitors on those ledge tables are awful and need to be upgraded.

Yeah, I think the various liquor bars throughout the arena that they've added (I think there are 2 or 3 now?) have nullified the whole point of taking a trip to the Goal Bar to get a mixed drink or wine. Also, the rules used to be that you couldn't take a mixed drink or wine to your seats, but that changed a couple years ago (thank god), so that must have meant even fewer people were sticking around the Goal Bar as a result. Probably a good idea to renovate it in order to get more of out of it from a ticketing/fan perspective.

Edited by DJ Eco

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Considering what we know about the Devils' money situation at the time, it wouldn't surprise if very low-end models were installed.  Many of the flat screens at the time looked pretty nice coming out of the box, but weren't necessarily built to last.  And of course the tech has come a LONG way since 2007.  The current units could be replaced with better models that are probably WAY cheaper in cost than what was installed at the time.  I bought my first HDTV in 2005 (37" Sharp Aquos), and it cost a whopping $3.5k...it could do 1080i, which was a big deal back then.  The 40" 1080p Sony Bravia HDTV I bought just two years later cost half as much.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Considering what we know about the Devils' money situation at the time, it wouldn't surprise if very low-end models were installed.  Many of the flat screens at the time looked pretty nice coming out of the box, but weren't necessarily built to last.  And of course the tech has come a LONG way since 2007.  The current units could be replaced with better models that are probably WAY cheaper in cost than what was installed at the time.  I bought my first HDTV in 2005 (37" Sharp Aquos), and it cost a whopping $3.5k...it could do 1080i, which was a big deal back then.  The 40" 1080p Sony Bravia HDTV I bought just two years later cost half as much.

Funny you say that as about 3-4 weeks ago my parent's DVD/VCR combo player broke.  That unit is about 7-10 years old and they paid $400ish for it.  I went online to look for another one for them and the cheapest I found is $250 for a used/refurbished one and $700(!) for a new one.  I wish I would have bought a bunch back in the day to make a killing now :D

Yeah I can't imagine the TV's being that huge of a project being that you are just swapping out screens and the prices of TV's have fallen tremendously in the last 10 years.  I got my 50" 4K TV about 2-3 years ago and it was $800-ish and now I see the same brand, size and resolution for like $400-500ish.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Uh huh. I spent $1300 on a 37" Sharp in 2006, and my current Sony (55") from 2013 was like $750 AND its a Smart TV. You can buy the 37" now (and its about 1/4 the thickness) for about $200. 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:53 PM, mfitz804 said:

Uh huh. I spent $1300 on a 37" Sharp in 2006, and my current Sony (55") from 2013 was like $750 AND its a Smart TV. You can buy the 37" now (and its about 1/4 the thickness) for about $200. 

Walmart and Target were just selling 50in top brand smart TVs for around $400 because of the craze with 4K. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup. If you can tolerate being one step behind technology wise, you can save a ton of money. 

My Sharp is still running...in my bedroom now.  Still works fine (has a dead pixel somewhere).  My Bravia (one of my two cave TVs) still has a nice picture too.  I have a 55" 4k in the living room (my only one), but need to get it optimized.  Also need to upgrade my DirecTV DVR to get the most out of it.  Still has a great pic...what I like about it is that even though it's got that ultra "smooth" look (I usually don't like that for movies), when watching a movie, it somehow still has that "movie" picture, but just at a much higher frame rate (instead of that "shot it in my backyard" look).  What's nice is that my daughter now has the "old" living room TV (Sony, 55") in her playroom (her playroom is a good size) and it's plenty good for watching movies on rainy days.  I make sure to tell her I like it much better when she's reading or writing stories or drawing pictures though (as opposed to becoming zombified in front of the TV). 

I remember when having two TVs and having one that was 25" or higher seemed like a huge deal...my inlaws had a friggin' ancient console TV in the mid-2000s, which was pretty funny.  We now have 6 TVs in our house (we inherited one from the previous owners...it was wall-mounted in what's now our exercise/storage room, and they basically said "Want a free TV?  We're not taking it.", so we just kept it).  The most expensive one by far was the 2005 Sharp.  None of the other ones were even half that much. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My Sharp is still running...in my bedroom now. 

Mine is as well, but in my parents' living room. It was a very nice TV. 

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

...my inlaws had a friggin' ancient console TV in the mid-2000s, which was pretty funny.  

I have that beat, my grandparents had one also. When my grandmother passed (maybe 8-9 years ago, time does have a way of getting away from me), we went through her stuff and found that it had been LEASED from Sears like 30 years prior (who even knew that was an option??), and they had paid like $200 a year for it. For 30 years. They paid $6,000 for the worst TV ever. 

My own personal first TV ever was purchased when I was 10 years old. It was color, but it had knobs and no remote, classic old school 25" TV. My dad and I went to a Mets game and we had a conversation with one of the ushers, who said he would put a quarter in a jar for every run the Mets scored and for every strikeout Mets pitchers had for his son, and then at the end of the season, his son got to buy something with the money. My dad thought it was a good idea. 

That was 1986. They won 108 games and scored 783 runs and had 1083 strikeouts. That's right, I made over $450 on that deal. 

I bought my first TV and my first dual-cassette, turntable stereo. 

The stereo is long gone, but the TV is at my sister's house and is still fully functional. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Just a head's up...on 3/23 (vs. the Coyotes), there's eight loft seats available for a steal.  $75 each before fees.  I just bought a pair for me and my daughter.  I got seats in the loft area back on 2/10, and they're pretty sweet.  I'd say the food is definitely better than what's offered in the former Fire and Ice lounges...nicer all-around too.  For $75 + fees each, it's a heist. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just a head's up...on 3/23 (vs. the Coyotes), there's eight loft seats available for a steal.  $75 each before fees.  I just bought a pair for me and my daughter.  I got seats in the loft area back on 2/10, and they're pretty sweet.  I'd say the food is definitely better than what's offered in the former Fire and Ice lounges...nicer all-around too.  For $75 + fees each, it's a heist. 

Ahhhh day of my parents’ 50th anniversary party. Too bad!!

44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ahhhh day of my parents’ 50th anniversary party. Too bad!!

Nice, my parents both turn 70 this year (Dad in June, Mom in September) and celebrate their 50th anniversary in November.  Busy year for them...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nice, my parents both turn 70 this year (Dad in June, Mom in September) and celebrate their 50th anniversary in November.  Busy year for them...

Sounds like a reason for a kick ass party or vacation...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Damn I wish I could take advantage of this.. please do let us know how it goes!

7 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Damn I wish I could take advantage of this.. please do let us know how it goes!

Just saying, tickets are gonna get very cheap as the year goes on...maybe NJ Devs needs to get a group together and hang in the Lofts...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Just saying, tickets are gonna get very cheap as the year goes on...maybe NJ Devs needs to get a group together and hang in the Lofts...

Oh god, and reveal my actual identity to you guys after I've embarrassed myself so many times on here?

I'm not sure I'm equipped to handle the shame.

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

You??? I’m THIS guy!!

32075262518_c5234823bd_b.jpg

The joke to end all jokes...a group of NJ Devs members get together to watch a game in a suite next season, mfitz arrives late, wearing tan/beige slacks and a red #47 jersey, says "hey guys, I made it!", everyone turns around and tries not to stare at the socks he stuffed down his pants to create the "Q-bulge". 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The joke to end all jokes...a group of NJ Devs members get together to watch a game in a suite next season, mfitz arrives late, wearing tan/beige slacks and a red #47 jersey, says "hey guys, I made it!", everyone turns around and tries not to stare at the socks he stuffed down his pants to create the "Q-bulge". 

Wow that would be comedic gold...

...not that I need the socks, of course.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2