2 Tickets Home Opener Section 132 Row 5

Devils01

Hey guys

not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was coming down from Montreal  and due to the weather and the fan fest being cancelled I will not be going to the game anymore. I was looking forward to this day for many years, it being my first devils game and I finally had a chance to come down. It’s a real bummer... That being said in selling my 2 tickets. DM ME IF INTERESTED. Tickets are electronic 

If I’m able to sell the tickets I may come down Sunday instead.

Edited by Devils01

Honestly, I’m not even sure what storm you are talking about. Just some thunderstorms in the area are all I heard about, not anything that bad. 

I didn’t hear anything about the FanFest being cancelled but I’m often out of the loop on that kind of stuff. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Some fan page on Instagram last night said it would be postponed to Sunday, but haven't seen anything official.

That;s what I heard too.

Frankly, fan-fest is a bit overrated and you would be disappointed anyways.  It is literally a cover band that plays off and on 20 minutes at a time, a small area for street hockey for young children, a couple of food stands, a couple of over-priced beer stands, and maybe 1-2 more stands.  That's about it really.

The red carpet is typically pretty cool and would be the only thing worth waiting for, but again it is literally what it is; watching the players go into the arena one at a time and maybe snapping a few pictures with a couple of them.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That;s what I heard too.

Frankly, fan-fest is a bit overrated and you would be disappointed anyways.  It is literally a cover band that plays off and on 20 minutes at a time, a small area for street hockey for young children, a couple of food stands, a couple of over-priced beer stands, and maybe 1-2 more stands.  That's about it really.

The red carpet is typically pretty cool and would be the only thing worth waiting for, but again it is literally what it is; watching the fans go into the arena one at a time and maybe snapping a few pictures with a couple of them.

That sounds terrible.  Why would I want to watch fans go into the building and get pictures with random people I've never met and will never see again?!?!?!  

Kidding. I assume you meant the players lol.

Regarding it being overrated, I could definitely see that being the case, at least based on what you said.  I'm no creative genius, but I feel like they could do a couple easy and relatively inexpensive things to build up some more hype and make it more fun/attractive.  For starters, maybe have a raffle or auction off some used Devils gear or memorabilia?  Or maybe just a simple autograph signing with some Devils alum present?  For kids, maybe do some face painting thing, get the # of their favorite player, team logos, or whatever.  Maybe even have a bounce house or something like that.  Street hockey is a good idea, but I feel like there's more you could do besides a few food and beer trucks.  Hell, speaking of street hockey, why not have an accuracy contest with those shooter-tutor things?  Or even a radar to do a hardest shot exhibit?  I mean c'mon Devils management, this isn't that hard, and things like this go a long way in engaging the community and getting more fans to come out - something that was mentioned in another thread regarding our sub-par attendance.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That sounds terrible.  Why would I want to watch fans go into the building and get pictures with random people I've never met and will never see again?!?!?!  

Regarding it being overrated, I could definitely see that being the case, at least based on what you said.  I'm no creative genius, but I feel like they could do a couple easy and relatively inexpensive things to build up some more hype and make it more fun/attractive.  For starters, maybe have a raffle or auction off some used Devils gear or memorabilia?  Or maybe just a simple autograph signing with some Devils alum present?  For kids, maybe do some face painting thing, get the # of their favorite player, team logos, or whatever.  Maybe even have a bounce house or something like that.  Street hockey is a good idea, but I feel like there's more you could do besides a few food and beer trucks.  Hell, speaking of street hockey, why not have an accuracy contest with those shooter-tutor things?  Or even a radar to do a hardest shot exhibit?  I mean c'mon Devils management, this isn't that hard, and things like this go a long way in engaging the community and getting more fans to come out - something that was mentioned in another thread regarding our sub-par attendance.

First 50 fans to the arena get a wedgie from Taylor Hall. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oops yeah that's what I meant lol.  I fixed it.

As for the recommendations, the Devils have done some of that with varying degrees of success.  I don't remember them doing raffles unless it was a sponsor doing one of those wheel of fortune things for knick-knacks but only after you give them your info to harass you.  The Devils did do auctions in the arena in the 11-12 season when JVB was literally selling of stuff from their storage rooms to help pay the bills.

Last year the Devils had usually Colin White signing autographs at a table, but it was always inside the arena.  I have seen face painting and those accuracy booths, but those either never worked well or it was something you did for a minute and it was over with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Oops yeah that's what I meant lol.  I fixed it.

As for the recommendations, the Devils have done some of that with varying degrees of success.  I don't remember them doing raffles unless it was a sponsor doing one of those wheel of fortune things for knick-knacks but only after you give them your info to harass you.  The Devils did do auctions in the arena in the 11-12 season when JVB was literally selling of stuff from their storage rooms to help pay the bills.

Last year the Devils had usually Colin White signing autographs at a table, but it was always inside the arena.  I have seen face painting and those accuracy booths, but those either never worked well or it was something you did for a minute and it was over with.

Gotcha.  I kinda figured some of those would have been tried already.  

I think something like an arena tour would be pretty sweet.  Come early and make a day out of it, tour the arena for a half hour or hour, stay and have some food, then do the game afterwards.  Maybe the fact that it's on a gameday and during the week, and at night, is more of the problem.  I know the Lightning did their fan-fest on a Sunday I believe, and I think it was a week or two before the season began.  I think they essentially treat it as a "welcome to the new season" type of event, and maybe that's what the Devils are going for too, but if you think about it, it's kind of like back to school night when you're a kid - you get your schedule for the upcoming year, see where your classrooms will be, meet your teachers, etc - you do that before the year begins, not on a day when you have school before or after.  I think it works better this way for the team too, because it gets people to come out on a day when they otherwise wouldn't be at the arena.  People are already going to spend money on Thursday - on a ticket to the game and probably food and drink - might as well make fan-fest on a non-gameday and get those same people to spend money on food/drinks/merch on a day when there's no game.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I think something like an arena tour would be pretty sweet.  Come early and make a day out of it, tour the arena for a half hour or hour, stay and have some food, then do the game afterwards.  

I like it, but they'd have to sell that under a separate admission. You can't have 15,000 people with tickets to the game showing up for an arena tour. And then you're excluding thousands of people. 

I think part of the issue is that as much as people like to say Newark has gotten better (and yeah it has), there really isn't a ton to do right around the arena itself.  There are 4 bars right next to the arena that are meh at best and that's about it.  You can venture out a little further to places like Barcade and Hells Kitchen, but you are blocks away from the arena.  Hard to get a big party going on right nearby when there are still limited options right next to the arena and plaza where the fan fest is.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I like it, but they'd have to sell that under a separate admission. You can't have 15,000 people with tickets to the game showing up for an arena tour. And then you're excluding thousands of people. 

Yeah, I was thinking something like 10 - 20 bucks per person.  Maybe limit it to the first 500 or something to keep it manageable.  Just thought it would be pretty sweet to give fans a behind the scenes type of look at what goes on inside the building, both on and off gamedays.  I can't recall other teams really doing that, but then again I don't really know many other teams' going-on's other than the Lightning, but it might be something that sets them apart.  

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think part of the issue is that as much as people like to say Newark has gotten better (and yeah it has), there really isn't a ton to do right around the arena itself.  There are 4 bars right next to the arena that are meh at best and that's about it.  You can venture out a little further to places like Barcade and Hells Kitchen, but you are blocks away from the arena.  Hard to get a big party going on right nearby when there are still limited options right next to the arena and plaza where the fan fest is.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I read in another thread earlier this week that someone (maybe it was you? lol) said there wasn't much to do in/around the arena, or even Newark in general.  You would've thought when they made the move there 10 years ago to the new arena that one of the driving factors was the city being up and coming.  I get it takes time, but you'd think a decade later we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

2 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

So all to say you guys don’t think it’s such a big deal the fan fest?

I guess I’ll stick to the home opener tomorrow rather than going Sunday 

Depends, if you care about autographs and some high fives with the team walking in then you would like the red carpet stuff. The fan fest is some games, a cover band and overpriced beer. 

None of these things interest me so I've never bothered before. Really depends on what you like.