2020 New York J-E-T-S thread

NJDevs4978

Oh come on Jamal. Love him as a player (though don't see him as untradeable) but he's a bit of a petulant baby at times. And he loves drama. Though he always shows up to play

He's under contract for two more years...NEXT offseason is when they'll get into the nitty gritty of contract negotiations to make him a Jet for life. He's just going to have to be patient. Douglas is going to stick to his guns. He's going to listen to any offers that come his way but it's doubtful Adams ever gets moved

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well guess they went chalk with the tackle pick.  Hopefully this guy isn't another Tony Mandarich, the athleticism with the size is almost too good to be true.

Yea. Mandarich was a monster himself but just an absolute mental trainwreck as well. A total jerk and just juicing out of his mind

I'll trust Douglas on this one. It's so rare to see someone of that size with that kind of athleticism and wingspan. If you properly coach him up and give him the right kind of guidance and mentorship he can be an all time great at his position. It's not often you're able to say that about a player.

8 hours ago, '7' said:

Yea. Mandarich was a monster himself but just an absolute mental trainwreck as well. A total jerk and just juicing out of his mind

I'll trust Douglas on this one. It's so rare to see someone of that size with that kind of athleticism and wingspan. If you properly coach him up and give him the right kind of guidance and mentorship he can be an all time great at his position. It's not often you're able to say that about a player.

He seems like he could be a real good player, and I was hoping his drug test issue would have led him to be the second time a player like that fell to the Phins.

That said, relieved that the Phins don’t have to deal with Jerry Jeudy twice a year.

Yeah I don't actually hate the Jets' picks, and it does seem like Douglas puts a high premium on character unlike many of our recent GM's. Unfortunately it's also becoming like the Devils with their division rivals where as we incrementally improve every draft everyone else in the division becomes a behemoth.  The Dolphins could have a warp speed rebuild if they don't screw this up and Tua stays healthy (the latter's an even bigger if than the former honestly), the Bills have already turned the corner and the Pats I refuse to believe are dead until the stake's firmly in their chest.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't know what's more surprising the fact the Patriots traded with us, or the fact they actually traded UP in the draft to do it.

While I do have the SOJ feeling that the player we let the Pats have will become an All-Pro, getting two 4's and a 6 (next year) is good value to move back in the middle rounds of this draft.  And I trust Douglas trading with our rivals more than Ray Shero, who it seemed wanted to do it just for the sake of doing it since a lot of Devils fans actually hated Lou's policy of never dealing with the Rangers and Flyers.

Based on what I’m reading, BB’s going for a lot of “higher upside development types”, meaning that many of the five players that he’s taken so far could have very nice futures, but aren’t likely to jump right in and succeed...they’ll need some time.  Between that and the fact that BB seems very willing to go with Stidham (but has yet to draft any receivers) leads me to believe that BB is thinking rebuild on some level.  I’m just not sure how far he’s willing to go with it (as in, does he start making guys like Thuney avaiable).  

All in all, can't really complain about the draft although a second WR would have been nice at some point, can't have everything in one shot I suppose.  They seemingly did try to address depth issues across the board, and a definite upgrade at punter was worth a pick too.

• 3 weeks later...

Per Manish Mehta the Jets are close to signing Logan Ryan. It makes perfect sense, scheme fit is perfect. If Desir pans out and Bless Austin continues to improve we may actually get somewhat decent CB play in 2020. Poole is a top slot corner. Overall the Jets may field a quality defense in 2020. Above average for sure if everyone is able to stay healthy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Done with Adams and his crybaby drama. And of course I understand he's not going to playing football for his entire life and there's nothing wrong with getting what you can when you can, because careers can end in an instant. Thing is the Jets should be in no hurry here. He's under contract for several more years, they have no viable trade offers right now. He plays a position where it really makes no sense to break the bank over. Let him twist in the wind. If you don't get the kings ransom you want, let him cry, let him sulk

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not that Jets fans would disagree with him but this kinda insubordination just isn’t done in public.

He’s speaking truth. The same sh!t happened when we had Gase. The players hated him. Despised him, actually.

Worst thing that can happen to Woody is having him divest and Chris Johnson would somehow be set up to run show full-time. And I'm not sure if Chris, though less of a scumbag, is really any better in terms of being a pure football owner and making the right moves

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not that Jets fans would disagree with him but this kinda insubordination just isn’t done in public.

Adams is a first rate clown though. And yea I understand what he's trying to do, force a trade and get paid. But you know the Jets last year (while getting crippled by injuries) performed better for Gase (and didn't quit) than they did for Bowles in 2016, 2017, and 2018. They were 7-9 and decimated, but they showed me more life than they did under Bowles when the team flat out quit.

Not sure how much of what Adams says you can believe

57 minutes ago, '7' said:

Adams is a first rate clown though. And yea I understand what he's trying to do, force a trade and get paid. But you know the Jets last year (while getting crippled by injuries) performed better for Gase (and didn't quit) than they did for Bowles in 2016, 2017, and 2018. They were 7-9 and decimated, but they showed me more life than they did under Bowles when the team flat out quit.

Not sure how much of what Adams says you can believe

With Gase most people will believe it on confirmation bias.  But yeah I don't neccesarily believe that Joe Douglas told him he would offer him a contract extension then not engage him at all.  Douglas comes off as more of a straight shooter than that.  It's more likely Douglas told him we'd offer an extension after a certain point and Adams doesn't want to wait till then (and wants out anyway).

This was really an outstanding trade. Wasn't sure we'd get the two firsts for him (which I assumed Douglas was holding out for) but he did plus a decent safety in return in McDougald and a 3rd for a 4th swap. Outstanding job. 

Yeah I'm probably underestimating the player they got back and mentally just counting McDougald as depth but he did start for them the last four years and will probably start for us this year, allowing us to develop Davis properly.

And now Douglas speaks

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Jets win this trade hands down.

Shipped disgruntled player to the other conference & got back TWO 1st rounders and a solid starter!

The old Jets woulda screwed themselves by trading him to the Pats for a bag of deflated balls and a voucher to a massage parlor in Miami!!

Of course, they could make it better if they let someone else draft for them... They are still the jets...

Edited by Masked Fan
to add a burn