New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The vast majority score way more than 21 points in their rookie season too. 

And round and round we go..repeating the same points discussed already. I think we can call this discussion closed and won from my point. Edit: all in good fun. Glad hockey is being talked about more and more.

Edited by devlman

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That speaks to my last point; we don't have to think rationally, we're fans.  But on this board, you can't say anything negative about Hughes without getting attacked. People get on DevsMan84's case, or my case to a lesser extent, just for saying he had a sh!t season, which is just a fact. All you have to do is say that, and people start talking about how he's going to have a great 10 year run with the devils and he'll be an elite star in the league, etc. 

People also like to bring up MacKinnon, but of course they have to lump a few years together to make that credible, because you can't say boo about his rookie season, which again, is what we were talking about because that's all Jack has had. 

I've never said he won't wind up as an elite player.  All I said is he had a sh!t season as far as 1OA rookie seasons go. But you can't say that here, or anything negative, without getting attacked. 

I take that back, I said he looked like a ventriloquist's dummy and nobody said anything. Again, certain things you just can't argue a contrary point to. Dude just needs a little bow tie and some dude's lap to sit on.

I get it,  I tried saying it a few times late in the season and it gets interpreted as I hate the guy, simply not true.  He was terrible, not the end of the world but far from good.  The writer or whoever wrote it off as basically 60+ games of bad puck luck is nuts. 

Turn the page hopefully he shows at least some improvement, he really has nowhere to go but up based on last season so let's see him bring something more to the table this season.  I wish him nothing but the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll again point out that when you try to have the last word and then declare a topic closed, it means you can’t substantiate your position. 

Nah it just means I don’t feel like repeating myself over and over and having a nuanced conversation when the other side just repeats the same simple-viewed thing. Repeating the same thing to me declares that you have no real rebuttal or substance to add to your position, so the convo is indeed over. That, and I have a life off the board.

Edited by devlman

36 minutes ago, devlman said:

Nah it just means I don’t feel like repeating myself over and over and having a nuanced conversation when the other side just repeats the same simple-viewed thing. Repeating the same thing to me declares that you have no real rebuttal or substance to add to your position, so the convo is indeed over. That, and I have a life off the board.

If that was true you would’ve just stopped talking instead of declaring the conversation over and yourself the winner. Kind of like what Trump is trying to do. He doesn’t know what the fvck he’s talking about either. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If that was true you would’ve just stopped talking instead of declaring the conversation over and yourself the winner. Kind of like what Trump is trying to do. He doesn’t know what the fvck he’s talking about either. 

It was said in jest, relax. But seriously, YeAh bUt hE ScORed 21 pTs lAST yR is not only such an overly simplistic point but one that’s been addressed multiple times in this thread. It doesn’t inspire any sort of desire to remark. All it signals is that you’ve got nothing else to add and just have a childish need to have the last word. Apologies for letting you know I was done w the convo.

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s on Jack. But I’d like to see him get more than 10 games with decent wingers. That and some bulk should help him take the next step. 

He did not look comfortable on the wing at all. I hope Ruff keeps him at center. 

• Like 2

Just now, devlman said:

It was said in jest, relax. But seriously, YeAh bUt hE ScORed 21 pTs lAST yR is not only such an overly simplistic point but one that’s been addressed multiple times in this thread. It doesn’t inspire any sort of desire to remark. All it signals is that you’ve got nothing else to add and just have a childish need to have the last word. Apologies for letting you know I was done w the convo.

The point is, what I said is a fact. The whole “bUt hE wiLL bE eLiTe” retort is the proof that there’s nothing else to add, other than that you want to cradle Jack’s balls for him and if anyone says anything negative about him, you have to start talking about how great he’ll be in the future, even though nobody is talking about that and nobody said otherwise. 

THAT is what is repetitive and annoying. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He did not look comfortable on the wing at all. I hope Ruff keeps him at center. 

I agree, he needs to be a center. I get what they were trying to do, but it didn’t work. 

See the Mets of the 1990s for more info. Don’t go out and get players that have played the same position forever, you drafted them at that position, and then ask them to change positions just because. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Supposed lesser talented players have done well at wing and center.  Henrique immediately comes to mind in that regard.

And around the excuse merry-go-round we go.

But yeah, you obviously have nothing against Hughes. Not at all. What a fvcking bust.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

But yeah, you obviously have nothing against Hughes. Not at all. What a fvcking bust.

it's not because you criticize something that you necessarily have something against something or hate the person.

What's always happening here is that there's these taboo things that are like protected and if you challenge that, as fair as you can be just to challenge it the mob gets at you and as you just try to make your point and defend your argument, it's looking more and more like you have a vendetta but you're just responding to like 12 people arguing with you who doesnt agree.

I honestly didnt see anything said about Jack that isn't fair criticism. Literally nobody said he was a bust.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it's not because you criticize something that you necessarily have something against something or hate the person.

What's always happening here is that there's these taboo things that are like protected and if you challenge that, as fair as you can be just to challenge it the mob gets at you and as you just try to make your point and defend your argument, it's looking more and more like you have a vendetta but you're just responding to like 12 people arguing with you who doesnt agree.

I honestly didnt see anything said about Jack that isn't fair criticism. Literally nobody said he was a bust.

This is pretty spot on. 

Except for when I talk about Zacha. I hate that prick. 

;) 

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

reserve your right to change your mind after his first shift in game one. I am. 🤣

totally fair lol

There's a very fine line between not being able to stand someone because of the things they constantly do and hating them. I said this many times before, he looks like a fun guy to hangout with and he has good intention. But his egomania is making him do things that is rubbing so so many people the wrong way. But anyway. let's not get that going again. I just hope he can play some decent hockey next season

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I forgot about how going against the forum's groupthink is verboten here.

If we are using hyperbole, then Hughes is better than McDavid, Crosby, Gretzky and Lemieux combined!

• Like 1

Gimme a fvcking break, no one ever said that. I generally like to give 18-year olds more than 61 games before I start concluding that they ‘aren’t as good as advertised’ though. If he puts up 21 points again next season, then we have something to discuss.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Gimme a fvcking break, no one ever said that. I generally like to give 18-year olds more than 61 games before I start concluding that they ‘aren’t as good as advertised’ though. If he puts up 21 points again next season, then we have something to discuss.

To be fair, when Zacha was doing that people were still making excuses for him. Some people still are.