2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have a daughter. If some douche punches her in the face, that’ll be the last person he punches. You can count on that. Ask the last guy who put his hands on my wife, he’s probably still in Little Italy looking for the rest of his teeth. 

Sorry, but that’s nonsense. If you want to make that argument about a stupid kid that says something dumb on Twitter, maybe you’re right. I still don’t think so, I pretty much had my sh!t together by that age, but maybe I’m unusual in that respect, but you have a better argument. 

But you don’t beat the sh!t out of a woman and then say “I was young and dumb, what a horrible mistake”. A 19 year old is old enough to know that’s wrong and “young and dumb” is a poor excuse. 

You don’t hit girls, everyone knows that from when they are a child. 

Like I said, touchy subject...

anyway, the situation I brought up is a little different than “beating the sh!t out some girl” if that’s truly what Panarin did. Joe Mixon threw one punch (not defending it it was a horrible thing to do), but the girl was putting her hands on him at the time (hopefully most fathers teach their daughters not to do that) and supposedly called him a racial slur. Do you think he should have been banned from entering the NFL in that case? 

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Like I said, touchy subject...

anyway, the situation I brought up is a little different than “beating the sh!t out some girl” if that’s truly what Panarin did. Joe Mixon threw one punch (not defending it it was a horrible thing to do), but the girl was putting her hands on him at the time (hopefully most fathers teach their daughters not to do that) and supposedly called him a racial slur. Do you think he should have been banned from entering the NFL in that case? 

Should he have been banned? No. 
would I have a problem if no team wanted to draft him because of that? Also no. 

The real issue is the ongoing narrative that people who are 18 and 19 years old our “young and stupid”, and that being offered as an excuse for their behavior. If you want to tell me that a 13-year-old who says something racist on Twitter is young and stupid, and that shouldn’t be considered when he’s 18 and about to get drafted, OK, maybe that’s a better argument. But when a 19-year-old kid knocks out a girl, I don’t buy it.That person should be in jail. If they’re not, and they get their ass beat for it, they deserve it 100%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Should he have been banned? No. 
would I have a problem if no team wanted to draft him because of that? Also no. 

The real issue is the ongoing narrative that people who are 18 and 19 years old our “young and stupid”, and that being offered as an excuse for their behavior. If you want to tell me that a 13-year-old who says something racist on Twitter is young and stupid, and that shouldn’t be considered when he’s 18 and about to get drafted, OK, maybe that’s a better argument. But when a 19-year-old kid knocks out a girl, I don’t buy it.That person should be in jail. If they’re not, and they get their ass beat for it, they deserve it 100%.

Well, just to be clear I’m not excusing it. I’ve watched that specific Joe Mixon video and it’s horrific. And he absolutely deserved all the punishments he received. I just didn’t agree with those that thought it should have stopped him from playing football ever again. So when I see comments about how Panarin should never be allowed back in the NHL for something he did a decade ago it made me think of that situation.

It would also be helpful to have more information on the Panarin incident so we know the full story first (not that putting your hands on a woman for any reason is ever ok). But context certainly matters at least to some degree. 

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, just to be clear I’m not excusing it. I’ve watched that specific Joe Mixon video and it’s horrific. And he absolutely deserved all the punishments he received. I just didn’t agree with those that thought it should have stopped him from playing football ever again. So when I see comments about how Panarin should never be allowed back in the NHL for something he did a decade ago it made me think of that situation.

It would also be helpful to have more information on the Panarin incident so we know the full story first (not that putting your hands on a woman for any reason is ever ok). But context certainly matters at least to some degree. 

I re-watched the video and reviewed his “punishment”, and I think that it was total BS. One year deferred sentence for that? He should have gotten 5 years minimum. 

He literally challenged her to hit him, she did, and he decked her. There was no “mistake” in that video. 

Let me make clear, I’m not saying anything should happen to Panarin because we do t yet know what’s true or what happened. But Mixon, yes, fvck that guy, he should have gone to jail which probably would have ruined his career. Too bad, that’s what you get for being a jerkoff. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I re-watched the video and reviewed his “punishment”, and I think that it was total BS. One year deferred sentence for that? He should have gotten 5 years minimum. 

He literally challenged her to hit him, she did, and he decked her. There was no “mistake” in that video. 

Let me make clear, I’m not saying anything should happen to Panarin because we do t yet know what’s true or what happened. But Mixon, yes, fvck that guy, he should have gone to jail which probably would have ruined his career. Too bad, that’s what you get for being a jerkoff. 

By mistake I clearly meant deciding to hit her in the first place. I didn’t think he did it by accident. People do need to be held accountable (regardless of gender) when they decide to put their hands on a stranger though. But he should have just pushed her away. He made the worst possible choice in that moment. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

By mistake I clearly meant deciding to hit her in the first place. I didn’t think he did it by accident. People do need to be held accountable (regardless of gender) when they decide to put their hands on a stranger though. But he should have just pushed her away. He made the worst possible choice in that moment. 

His punishment was no jail time, 100 hours of community service, and his draft position fell. There was also a civil settlement, reached before he made the NFL, which means it was either for almost nothing or someone else paid it for him. 

That doesn’t seem right. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ok that’s funnier than it should be considering the topic...lol

Granted, it’s not a funny topic, but it’s true. It certainly could have been worse, no question. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

His punishment was no jail time, 100 hours of community service, and his draft position fell. There was also a civil settlement, reached before he made the NFL, which means it was either for almost nothing or someone else paid it for him. 

That doesn’t seem right. 

Not sure why you responded on this again, but I never said it was adequate. Part of the issue was the video didn’t get released for 2 years. Oklahoma flat out said he would have been cut immediately had it come out right away. Why the courts didn’t come down harder on him I have no idea (other than he was a star football player). 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Not sure why you responded on this again, but I never said it was adequate. Part of the issue was the video didn’t get released for 2 years. Oklahoma flat out said he would have been cut immediately had it come out right away. Why the courts didn’t come down harder on him I have no idea (other than he was a star football player). 

You said he deserved all the punishments he got. I looked them up and his “punishments” were bullish!t, and he deserved way more. That’s why i responded again.

I’d like to see the achool’s checkbook to see if they paid the confidential settlement. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You said he deserved all the punishments he got. I looked them up and his “punishments” were bullish!t, and he deserved way more. That’s why i responded again.

I’d like to see the achool’s checkbook to see if they paid the confidential settlement. 

I just remembered him being suspended for the season, and being charged criminally. I didn’t remember the specifics. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I just remembered him being suspended for the season, and being charged criminally. I didn’t remember the specifics. 

Then the team’s response was bullish!t too. Why say “we would have cut him” when they clearly knew about it and didn’t cut him. They needed a video??

To clarify, I’m not blaming you for any of this. This time lol. 

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You guys feeling OK?  You're debating and conversing, on a very touchy subject no less, rather politely and civilly.  It's making me uncomfortable. 

We really bonded when we were playing on the same line a couple weeks ago. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Then the team’s response was bullish!t too. Why say “we would have cut him” when they clearly knew about it and didn’t cut him. They needed a video??

To clarify, I’m not blaming you for any of this. This time lol. 

It’s all about the video in this day and age. Same thing happened when the Ray Rice elevator incident happened. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

It’s all about the video in this day and age. Same thing happened when the Ray Rice elevator incident happened. 

That annoyed me too. Like “he punched a lady and broke a bunch of bones in her face” wasn’t enough without the video. Horsesh!t, they just made an excuse after the video surfaced. They suspended him and probably paid his civil suit settlement for him. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

That annoyed me too. Like “he punched a lady and broke a bunch of bones in her face” wasn’t enough without the video. Horsesh!t, they just made an excuse after the video surfaced. They suspended him and probably paid his civil suit settlement for him. 

I'm inclined to agree with you in terms of the actions being so reprehensible and the punishments that they should have gotten for them, but maybe in the case of a delayed reaction is it more about waiting to see some sort of definitive proof before raking someone over the coals?  Sort of the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing that this county was founded on? lol

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm inclined to agree with you in terms of the actions being so reprehensible and the punishments that they should have gotten for them, but maybe in the case of a delayed reaction is it more about waiting to see some sort of definitive proof before raking someone over the coals?  Sort of the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing that this county was founded on? lol

He admitted he did it and pled guilty within 3 months of the incident. “Innocent until proven guilty” has nothing to do with it. The difference here was him saying he did it and pleading guilty to it vs. actually seeing him do it on the video.

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He admitted he did it and pled guilty within 3 months of the incident. “Innocent until proven guilty” has nothing to do with it. The difference here was him saying he did it and pleading guilty to it vs. actually seeing him do it on the video.

Oh gotcha, I didn't know the details and obviously just jumping into this late as I caught you guys discussing it. In that case, I agree, fvck the video and condemn the guy right away. 

Edited by NJDfan1711