Center Ice/ESPN Plus

devilsadvoc8

Lots of good info here. Thanks to everyone who responded.

What I got out of all of it is that if you are out of the NYC market ESPN + is the way to go however you get it (bundle or on its own). Those in market are actually going to have less choice due to some games not being on MSG. 

37 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

"Red Bulls are entering the stretch run of a push to make the MLS Playoffs over the next month-and-a-half."

I wonder if whoever typed this did it with a straight face 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, Nicomo said:

I’ve had Center Ice since the early-mid 00’s, and I plan to keep it as long as it’s available. I like the convenience of being able to record the games on my DVR.

I’m under the impression that ESPN+ will be necessary for the playoffs though. So I’ll probably do the bundle with Disney+ (which I have anyway for Marvel & Star Wars) and Hulu. 

Did you have Center Ice in 2020? Did you get a refund because they didn't have hockey?

On 9/29/2021 at 1:44 PM, StarDew said:

I guess time will tell.  Friday should be interesting.  It says on NHL network too. Maybe a reprieve.

I had Friday's game on two MSG stations and the NHL Network. Great win for the Devils. I hope you get the games because that will mean I will as well. Have a nice day.

4 hours ago, Brewskies said:

I had Friday's game on two MSG stations and the NHL Network. Great win for the Devils. I hope you get the games because that will mean I will as well. Have a nice day.

I had nothing. Just MSG blackout screen and since in region, not on NHLN . Feel better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brewskies said:

Did you have Center Ice in 2020? Did you get a refund because they didn't have hockey?

You mean 2005? I don’t really remember how it was handled. They only charge you for the package once the season starts though. 

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You mean 2005? I don’t really remember how it was handled. They only charge you for the package once the season starts though. 

I paid for 2020 and got nothing and no refund. Cable company said it wasn't there issue. I said I paid you the cable company not the NHL Package. Lost money, that's what happens when we allow monopolies.

I tried to get ESPN + through FIOS. After being bounced around to 3 different reps and being on hold for a while, I learned that FIOS won't allow you to have just ESPN + added to your tv package. You have to add the whole Disney bundle. I no longer watch princess movies so I let FIOS know that I won't purchase the package from them. I simply paid ESPN directly the $7 / month and watch it on the Xbox ESPN app. I don't think I'll have HD/4k resolution but I'll be damed if I cave into their money grab to purchase channels I don't want.

Edited by devilsadvoc8

14 minutes ago, devilsadvoc8 said:

I tried to get ESPN + through FIOS. After being bounced around to 3 different reps and being on hold for a while, I learned that FIOS won't allow you to have just ESPN + added to your tv package. You have to add the whole Disney bundle. I no longer watch princess movies so I let FIOS know that I won't purchase the package from them. I simply paid ESPN directly the $7 / month and watch it on the Xbox ESPN app. I don't think I'll have HD/4k resolution but I'll be damed if I cave into their money grab to purchase channels I don't want.

There’s more than Princess movies on Disney+, but good idea if you aren’t interested. 

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There’s more than Princess movies on Disney+, but good idea if you aren’t interested. 

You are right, there is a lot more but I am angry and that just rolled out.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:56 AM, Brewskies said:

I spent all of 10 mins on the phone with DTV two days ago and ended up getting Center Ice for free. I got the renewal notice about the $165 auto renewal and it really pissed me off for many reasons biggest one was I tell them every year to not auto renew. I've been with those clowns since 10/95. Anyway told them it was bs on so many levels and with the NHL's new agreement and games being exclusively streamed elsewhere it wasn't worth it. They came back in 5 mins and said ok $65 for the season and I said nah and by the way I'm leaning towards bailing on DTV as a whole as well. Done.

They also extended a $70 per month discount for an additional 24 months of my monthly service, that was due to expire in Jan as a one time deal.  Long story short their desperate at this point to hold onto as many as they can with so many streaming services  popping up after years of essentially being a dominant player.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 3