Should Brylin's #18 be up in the rafters?

Rock

4 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I will also add that Colin White took a puck to the right eye for us and instead of going on IR he played with a visor and less than 30% vision in his eye and finished the season

That dude was a tough motherfvcker. I was a big fan, and I guess I still am. I like that he’s still around the team as an alumni ambassador or whatever it is they call him. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That dude was a tough motherfvcker. I was a big fan, and I guess I still am. I like that he’s still around the team as an alumni ambassador or whatever it is they call him. 

Yeah my mother is a group leader who gets about 20-30 tickets for a few games a season to sell for her church booster club, and a few years ago she got invited to a mixer at some bowling alley in central jersey, It was Colin White and Grant Marshall and she said Colin was a class act and willing to bullsh!t with anyone who came up to him for minutes at a time, def sounded like Chico vibes

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Yeah my mother is a group leader who gets about 20-30 tickets for a few games a season to sell for her church booster club, and a few years ago she got invited to a mixer at some bowling alley in central jersey, It was Colin White and Grant Marshall and she said Colin was a class act and willing to bullsh!t with anyone who came up to him for minutes at a time, def sounded like Chico vibes

That’s awesome. He was always one my favorite “non rafters” players from those Cup teams. It would be cool to hear him shoot the sh!t with that gravelly voice lol 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

2 goals in the conference finals game 7 against OTT, who was the President’s Trophy winner that year, and as Gomez just mentioned on Spittin Chiclets who ever won that series was probably winning the Cup. And 2 goals in a game 5 win against Anaheim in the finals. The only person who scored as many clutch goals during that run was Jeff Friesen. 

Really tough call though. I think you can make a case for any of the 3. I just wish Marty would have won it because it’s literally the only thing missing from his resume. 

Friesen would have to get Conn Smythe consideration as well. He was huge in the ECF and the SCF.

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Whitey is actually my friend’s kids’ hockey coach. Pretty cool they get to learn from a former NHL’er.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Good point. Didn’t he have like 4-5 goals just in the finals? 

Yep. Two in game 7. Plus the game 7 winner in Ottawa. He was absolutely clutch as hell that year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I would have given it to Marty. He was amazing in those playoffs. It’s also the one trophy he never won that he should have. 

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Friesen would have to get Conn Smythe consideration as well. He was huge in the ECF and the SCF.

The above shows why the Devils really didn’t have an absolute playoff MVP in 2003…it really was a true team effort, with multiple key contributors.  We’ve already listed four candidates.

I won’t go into all of the specifics again, but given how little margin he had for error and how little his team scored for him, and all of the OT wins he had that year, Giguere was plenty worthy, even if his team ultimately fell one game short of winning the Cup (and not his fault that his team was shut out in regulation of four out of seven games).  I certainly wouldn’t have been against Marty having won the Conn Smythe, but I’ll always feel that with every last thing factored in, that he wasn’t robbed either.  The Ducks never so much as sniff a Game 7 without Giguere.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The above shows why the Devils really didn’t have an absolute playoff MVP in 2003…it really was a true team effort, with multiple key contributors.  We’ve already listed four candidates.

I won’t go into all of the specifics again, but given how little margin he had for error and how little his team scored for him, and all of the OT wins he had that year, Giguere was plenty worthy, even if his team ultimately fell one game short of winning the Cup (and not his fault that his team was shut out in regulation of four out of seven games).  I certainly wouldn’t have been against Marty having won the Conn Smythe, but I’ll always feel that with every last thing factored in, that he wasn’t robbed either.  The Ducks never so much as sniff a Game 7 without Giguere.

Half Baked Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Half Baked Reaction GIF

Heh heh that is funny but once Devils fans put the bias aside and really look at the numbers and the fact that the CS is supposed to be awarded for the balance of the playoffs, Giguere was deserving…especially without an obvious MVP on the Devils that year.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh that is funny but once Devils fans put the bias aside and really look at the numbers and the fact that the CS is supposed to be awarded for the balance of the playoffs, Giguere was deserving…especially without an obvious MVP on the Devils that year.  

I’m not sure I follow the logic. I can’t figure out if Langenbrunner or Brodeur is more valuable, so give it to a guy who lost?

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure I follow the logic. I can’t figure out if Langenbrunner or Brodeur is more valuable, so give it to a guy who lost?

No.

I’m saying that enough came together (and a LOT has to come together to give to a guy whose team didn’t win the SCF) for Giguere to get the Conn Smythe, without it being questioned to the extent that Devils fans question it.

The first three rounds, he put up a .960 save%, went 5-0 in OT, and 10 of the Ducks’ 12 wins to that point came by one goal.  His being near-perfect wasn’t some luxury…it was an absolute necessity…not to mention for the balance of the playoffs, the Ducks also managed to win two games where they were shut out in regulation (including one in the Finals).

He wasn’t quite as dominant in the SCF, but like I pointed out before, the Ducks were shut out four times in regulation in the Finals…no goalie is overcoming that, yet thanks to helping his team steal a win in one of those games, he still helped a group that had NO business getting as far as they did (look at how meh his teammates’ offensive numbers were) somehow reach a SCF Game 7.

Look, if it had been a conventional “Let’s just give the Conn Smythe to someone whose team won the Finals”, and one of Brodeur/Langs/Nieds had won, I would’ve been fine with it.  But it’s like I said, Giguere had a special enough postseason and this particular case was unique enough that this was one of those rare times that I have no issue with the “loser” getting the award…even if it came at my team’s expense.  He was THAT important to his team coming as close as they did.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Sounds like the opposing goalie was pretty valuable…

I’m not knocking Marty.  If the award is supposed to based on the balance of the whole playoffs, then like I said, Ducks never even sniff the Finals without Giguere.  As we’ve been over, the 2003 Devils were a terrific TEAM…lots of contributors and different players stepping up and pitching in. The Ducks rode an insanely hot goaltender, who had no choice to be insanely hot.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m not knocking Marty.  If the award is supposed to based on the balance of the whole playoffs, then like I said, Ducks never even sniff the Finals without Giguere.  As we’ve been over, the 2003 Devils were a terrific TEAM…lots of contributors and different players stepping up and pitching in. The Ducks rode an insanely hot goaltender, who had no choice to be insanely hot.  

But Brodeur had a slightly higher GAA, slightly higher save percentage, 7 shutouts including as you mentioned, 4 regulation games in the finals (winning 3 and losing one in OT). Plus he finished the job where Giguere did not. 

I understand what you are saying, but Marty was just a shade behind Giguere’s performance and his team won. Who was more valuable?

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But Brodeur had a slightly higher GAA, slightly higher save percentage, 7 shutouts including as you mentioned, 4 regulation games in the finals (winning 3 and losing one in OT). Plus he finished the job where Giguere did not. 

I understand what you are saying, but Marty was just a shade behind Giguere’s performance and his team won. Who was more valuable?

If Giguere had been awful in the Finals, I would agree.  But in Games 3 and 4, where a Devils win in either one probably means an earlier adios, he allows only two goals totals.  And then FINALLY gets some real support in Game 6 (and only allows two goals), after getting so little of it for much of the playoffs.

Marty had a .934 save% for the 2003 playoffs, Giguere finished at .945%.  Not that I would base the winner on that stat alone, just presenting that number.  

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Giguere had been awful in the Finals, I would agree.  But in Games 3 and 4, where a Devils win in either one probably means an earlier adios, he allows only two goals totals.  And then FINALLY gets some real support in Game 6 (and only allows two goals), after getting so little of it for much of the playoffs.

Marty had a .934 save% for the 2003 playoffs, Giguere finished at .945%.  Not that I would base the winner on that stat alone, just presenting that number.  

Like I said, Marty was a little behind him. .011 behind him.