• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Spencer Knight is possibly available and is appropriate value.

Did you think Larsson was enough compensation for Hall? How many times a year do you see a deal get done and think “that’s all that cost?” or “that guy was available?”

I’m not pretending to be a GM, but slamming the door shut saying “that guy doesn’t exist” is misguided and unimaginative. It’s an internet forum, live a little! 

Knight plus Florida’s 1st for the 2OA? I’d take that phone call. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I think Florida would only trade Knight for 2OA straight up, and I make that move 100 times out of 100. 

He’s about to enter his prime, he’s one of the most highly touted goaltender prospects of the past 10 years, and he would immediately make us a playoff team that’s young as hell and dangerous as hell. Slavkovsky might be great and if the Devils don’t trade for a goalie I hope they pick him, but there isn’t a single player in this draft who would have the same impact as Spencer Knight 

Yup I would probably do that. I wanted to draft him but we wasted that pick on an undersized bust of a center. 

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is news to me. 

Someone should tell Florida that they’re making him available lol. 

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

On-brand pedantic reply.

This is an internet forum! I’m making suggestions looking at a cap-crunched team that probably can’t afford to sign their soon-to-be RFA goalie to a $6m+ per year deal when they already pay another goalie $10m. I’m not trying to be an insider, I’m trying to engage in discussion with devils fans on a forum dedicated to engaging with other Devils fans! Taylor Hall wasn’t available until he was. Live a little, fella. 

Wait are you saying not everything that’s said here is based on pure fact? Did you literally blow Taylor Hall ZERO of the times you said you were going to???

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

On-brand pedantic reply.

No…. It’s a fact. Where have you seen anywhere that Knight will possibly be available outside of our discussions here? Dream big if you want, I’d love Knight. But I don’t see Florida trading him. FTR, if they called us and were willing to do Knight for #2, I’d seriously consider it. I just prefer to keep my expectations realistic.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No…. It’s a fact. Where have you seen anywhere that Knight will possibly be available outside of our discussions here? Dream big if you want, I’d love Knight. But I don’t see Florida trading him. FTR, if they called us and were willing to do Knight for #2, I’d seriously consider it. I just prefer to keep my expectations realistic.

Yeah, even the opposite has been reported. They are not trading Knight

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ice-breakers-updates-on-spencer-knight-nick-paul-jesperi-kotkaniemi-tyler-motte/

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It is not possible that “Spencer Knight isn’t available” is a fact. It is perfectly reasonable to see that Florida will have a situation coming up and the Devils can trade one of the very few top-2 draft picks to ever be traded pre-draft. I’m not arguing to trade for Vasilevski or Shesterkin because that is simply unreasonable.

The Panthers have a goalie on the books for 5 more years at $10m more each: That is a fact. Spencer Knight will ask for — and be given via arbitration or the team — a bridge deal similar to Shesterkin at ~6m per year: That is a fact. The Panthers need to re-sign their elite producing top line home-grown RW, their top organizational prospect to a bridge deal, and an entire 3rd/4th line and 3rd pairing defense BEFORE they need to give Knight that contract: that is a fact. We’re currently in a relatively flat cap, and one that isn’t expected to jump until after the Knight bridge deal kicks in: that is a fact.

It is my speculation that there’s a possible move here. That is not a fact, it hasn’t been presented as a fact and it won’t be presented as a fact. It’s me typing on my phone to internet devils friends while escaping a crying baby for six minutes. 

So you’re saying it definitely will happen within the next couple of months?

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It is not possible that “Spencer Knight isn’t available” is a fact. It is perfectly reasonable to see that Florida will have a situation coming up and the Devils can trade one of the very few top-2 draft picks to ever be traded pre-draft. I’m not arguing to trade for Vasilevski or Shesterkin because that is simply unreasonable.

The Panthers have a goalie on the books for 5 more years at $10m more each: That is a fact. Spencer Knight will ask for — and be given via arbitration or the team — a bridge deal similar to Shesterkin at ~6m per year: That is a fact. The Panthers need to re-sign their elite producing top line home-grown RW, their top organizational prospect to a bridge deal, and an entire 3rd/4th line and 3rd pairing defense BEFORE they need to give Knight that contract: that is a fact. We’re currently in a relatively flat cap, and one that isn’t expected to jump until after the Knight bridge deal kicks in: that is a fact.

It is my speculation that there’s a possible move here. That is not a fact, it hasn’t been presented as a fact and it won’t be presented as a fact. It’s me typing on my phone to internet devils friends while escaping a crying baby for six minutes. 

Teams always find a way to keep the players they REALLY want to keep. They drafted Knight in the first round, AFTER they gave Bobrovsky that contract. They clearly view him as their goalie of the future. They aren’t gonna trade him. They’ll figure out something with the cap, because teams usually do. So I’d love to share your optimism, but I can’t. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Teams always find a way to keep the players they REALLY want to keep. They drafted Knight in the first round, AFTER they gave Bobrovsky that contract. They clearly view him as their goalie of the future. They aren’t gonna trade him. They’ll figure out something with the cap, because teams usually do. So I’d love to share your optimism, but I can’t. 

I feel like they are more likely to try to find a way out of the Bobrovsky contract before it ends in 4 years than to trade Knight. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

UN-SHUN

Had to un-mute you because I’m going to see your replies and get your notifications anyway lmao. 

Them saying “we will not trade Spencer Knight for a trade deadline rental” is not the same thing as saying “we will not trade Spencer Knight for the 2nd overall pick”, surely you have to acknowledge that lol. 

RE-SHUN

Yeah but they didn't say that they wouldn't trade him for a deadline rental? lol They straight up said that they view him as a franchise centerpiece for the future and told HIM they'd never trade him when he signed. And they turned down any discussion about it.

"The Panthers view Knight as a franchise centerpiece. They gave him assurances last year when he signed, leaving Boston College, that he would not be traded."

You really think Slafkovsky or Cooley is the player that'd make them go? fvck our future in net and what we promised this kid, we NEED this guy instead.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Full no movement clause. Hand picked florida over several other suitors because he wanted to move his family to Florida. His wife’s family had previously moved to the Fort Lauderdale area. 

That seems unlikely at best. 

I didn’t say it would work. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I feel like they are more likely to try to find a way out of the Bobrovsky contract before it ends in 4 years than to trade Knight. 

100%. They’ll buy him out, they’ll find a team to eat part of it, he’ll come down with a mysterious skin disease like Hossa- but they will most certainly look to move Bob before Knight. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

100%. They’ll buy him out, they’ll find a team to eat part of it, he’ll come down with a mysterious skin disease like Hossa- but they will most certainly look to move Bob before Knight. 

It’s kind of common sense, really. Do you want the guy with 8-10 years and tremendous potential, or the 33 year old that you’re crossing your fingers makes it to the end of his deal?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

lmao yeah and i told my girlfriend in college i just wanted to give her a back rub. and i told my wife her friend who dances for the Miami Heat was ugly. 

every player who ever gets traded says the same thing: “they told me i was a big part of their future. this is disappointing.” it means fvcking nothing unless it’s written down — and it isn’t written down. 

Well dude you said he was possibly available based on assumptions you made that'd fit what you want to believe, it's totally fine to discuss this.

But when we're all bringing up that they said they want him to be a centerpiece of their franchise, wouldnt trade him and that they'd trade other guys before trading him... Which all makes sense.

And i asked you if you thought Slafkosky or Cooley are guys you really think would make them decide to suddenly not want him to be their future goalie... 

We could just keep this a basic hockey conversation if you'd address those points and fair questions

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well dude you said he was possibly available based on assumptions you made that'd fit what you want to believe, it's totally fine to discuss this.

But when we're all bringing up that they said they want him to be a centerpiece of their franchise, wouldnt trade him and that they'd trade other guys before trading him... Which all makes sense.

And i asked you if you thought Slafkosky or Cooley are guys you really think would make them decide to suddenly not want him to be their future goalie... 

We could just keep this a basic hockey conversation if you'd address those points and fair questions

I mean the only question I have left is whether his wife’s friend is ugly or not…

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

It would certainly be common sense if there was an easy way to do it. Hossa didn’t “invent” a disease, and buying out a guy who has 5 years left on his deal would be…. gargantuan lol. It’s not the NFL when teams can just “figure it out”. You’re gonna pay Sergei Bobrovski $5m a year for 10 years to play for a different team? 

Again, I’m still talking about which one they would be more likely to want to do. If Bobrovsky winds up in decline and is playing 15-20 games a season while Knoght plays the rest, maybe he may waive that NMC for a chance to play (for a team with cap room that the $ doesn’t really matter to). It could happen. 

Or it could not happen. But I think it’s more likely they investigate that than trade away one of the better goalie prospects out there. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Again, I’m still talking about which one they would be more likely to want to do. If Bobrovsky winds up in decline and is playing 15-20 games a season while Knoght plays the rest, maybe he may waive that NMC for a chance to play (for a team with cap room that the $ doesn’t really matter to). It could happen. 

Or it could not happen. But I think it’s more likely they investigate that than trade away one of the better goalie prospects out there. 

Even if Bobrovsky play decline a bit he'd still be a decent backup. They could very well just ride Knight and Bob as the backup. The blues are doing it. 6million Bennington has been the backup and 750k Husso has been the starter. So you get a deal on one side and not so much on the other hand but overall as long as you get decent goaltending and that the owners are fine with paying it, shouldnt be a problem

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Even if Bobrovsky play decline a bit he'd still be a decent backup. They could very well just ride Knight and Bob as the backup. The blues are doing it. 6million Bennington has been the backup and 750k Husso has been the starter. So you get a deal on one side and not so much on the other hand but overall as long as you get decent goaltending and that the owners are fine with paying it, shouldnt be a problem

They could do that. Again, I’m talking about which is the more likely scenario in terms of them thinking about moving someone. They could certainly keep both. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

They could do that. Again, I’m talking about which is the more likely scenario in terms of them thinking about moving someone. They could certainly keep both. 

yeah, they'd also likely just rather not resigning or trading a bottom 6 guy and give a chance to a young prospect to fill that role before trading their future starter and current backup

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah, they'd also likely just rather not resigning or trading a bottom 6 guy and give a chance to a young prospect to fill that role before trading their future starter and current backup

Obviously if they want to kee them both, they will find a way like every other team with a “cap problem” does. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

The Devils need a goalie a lot, lot, lot more than they need a winger. If there is a goalie who’s value is commensurate with 2OA it is a disservice to 13, 86 and every single one of us if that avenue isn’t explored to the fullest. 

There isn’t. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

don’t disagree that we need a goalie going forward. In addition to everything else, Blackwood was never given any time to develop, he was immediately thrust into a starting goalie role that he wasn’t ready for. On a very bad team.

That’s not entirely true. He did spend a couple seasons in the AHL before he ever played a single NHL game. He was 22 his first year with the Devils. There’s definitely been guys thrust into the league even quicker in recent years - Carter Hart for example. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Certainly not one that is also available; goalies that would be worth a 2OA are extremely unlikely to be available. 

It’s a very short list: Vasilevsky (not available), Shesterkin (not available). That’s the list. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s not entirely true. He did spend a couple seasons in the AHL before he ever played a single NHL game. He was 22 his first year with the Devils. There’s definitely been guys thrust into the league even quicker in recent years - Carter Hart for example. 

He was a year removed from having been demoted to the ECHL. Do you think he was ready to be an NHL starter? I don’t. 

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s a very short list: Vasilevsky (not available), Shesterkin (not available). That’s the list. 

I would think about Knight or Saros as well. 

• Like 1