Utica Comets Thread 2022-23

Chimaira_Devil_#9

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Sadly I think Smith will be back (he signed a 2 year deal). Luke and Nemec will likely replace Severson and Graves. 

I’m absolutely fine with this outcome.   Smith makes 1.1 and can easily be sat in the press box most nights without a fuss.   

The other two are just going to make way more on the open market than we can possibly afford to pay.   Severson in particular has been really good lately and one of the few guys playing acceptable hockey so far this series.  Also, with our softness on D being absolutely exposed against the Rangers, I don’t see how you can let Graves continue to take a spot in the rotation if we’re going to address that flaw.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I’m absolutely fine with this outcome.   Smith makes 1.1 and can easily be sat in the press box most nights without a fuss.   

The other two are just going to make way more on the open market than we can possibly afford to pay.   Severson in particular has been really good lately and one of the few guys playing acceptable hockey so far this series.  Also, with our softness on D being absolutely exposed against the Rangers, I don’t see how you can let Graves continue to take a spot in the rotation if we’re going to address that flaw.   

Yeah, the only problem with having Smith as a 7th D though, is you know… Ruff will actually play him. 

assuming he’s still the coach ofc. 

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, the only problem with having Smith as a 7th D though, is you know… Ruff will actually play him. 

assuming he’s still the coach ofc. 

It`s not the problem until he is better in defensive zone than younger player.

Anyway I think wil sign one year deal with vet. I just hope it will not be Gudas. 

• Like 1

Comets are 1-5 against the Marlie's this season. However that 1 win came in their last meeting before the playoffs and the comets won 5-0. 

All the other games have been settled by a single goal margin. 

So it should be a good close series.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Utica lost but Holtz scored with under a minute left to force OT. 

That’s too bad.  Many of the Devils prospects moved up quickly through the system which didn’t leave much for Utica.  I do think there is some talent overseas that will help both Utica and the Devils in the future.

That's a tough loss given they were 3-0 up and then managed to get ahead 4-3 in the third. 

Can't help but think Luke Hughes would be helpful to them for this series, but I am loathed to make any changes in the big club out of superstition. 

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

That's a tough loss given they were 3-0 up and then managed to get ahead 4-3 in the third. 

Can't help but think Luke Hughes would be helpful to them for this series, but I am loathed to make any changes in the big club out of superstition. 

Pretty sure Luke would have had to been on their roster by a certain date to be eligible. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I think benching Wood and Smith were as helpful as any personnel moves Lindy could have otherwise made.  Those two are just "at the worst possible times" penalty magnets.  I know Smith is under contract so if he's still here next season as a fill-in #7 or a "Keep a seat warm" player if Nemec needs a month or two in Utica, so be it...but hopefully Wood's time here is just done.  Lazar is just fine when it comes to doing what's being asked of him.

• Like 1