Trade: Devils acquire Toffoli for Sharangovich and a 3rd

jagknife

Just now, Capt Kirk Muller said:

Now, who the hell is CH? 

Connor Hellebuyck

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Right bro, the options we currently have in net are not sure nor known and VV definitely isn’t it imo although he had a great regular season last year i dont really see that happening again. The cap is only going to rise, if something make sense to get CH go get him and stop being scared about it, lets fvcking try to win something around here

It has nothing to do with being “scared.” It’s called being realistic about building a complete team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It has nothing to do with being “scared.” It’s called being realistic about building a complete team. 

If you’re talking about a complete team i dont see how this guy doesnt literally make complete team a definition 

4 minutes ago, Capt Kirk Muller said:

F*ck VV's regular season.  I've watched enough NJD success to have no patience for those that don't show up in the playoffs

Hellebuyck just put up an .886 sv% and got bounced in 5 games this postseason. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I dont like what our goalies did in the post season, second round no one showed up.. forget about showing up VV was already on vacation, goalie is still a concern for this team, dont have your blinders on too tight. On top of that, no one knows if VV can even replicate what he did through the regular season, hes not that type of goalie and like i said, didnt show up post season, Schmid, is still completely unknown.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Saying Schmid is an unknown makes me think you haven't seen him play much. He was horrible in his time prior to acquiring Vanecek and showed some pretty amazing progress this year. Sure, he's a not a 'known' so to speak, but a young goalie performance in the playoffs like his should be rewarded with ice time. Stole the job from the starter and was the goto guy for the rest of the playoffs basically. I'm not saying this makes him 'known', but barring a wild regression, I don't get calling him an unknown. He's definitely not unknown after how he played in playoffs, even around the league.  

First, VV was solid all year long and got lit up by good teams in the playoffs. 
Vanecek is going to be fine. When he did get into some games before we were eliminated, he posted a .909 in game 1 before Lindy yanked him because the team in front was frankly playing like sh!t. We lost 1-5 and Schmid wasn't super great in relief. 

Some of the poor numbers were due to the team getting thoroughly outplayed in most situations in games lost. High scorings games hurt Vanny's numbers too. However, Vanecek has improved every year that he's been in the league and in the prime of his career (age 25-32 for goalies). He has steadily improved his High-Danger scoring chance save percentage (HDscSV%) and has improved this stat every year that he's been in the league as well. 

goaltending and it's depth can be viewed as the weakness, but that's comparing it to how strong this forward and defense group coming in is. So compared to our forwards and d corps, yes it can seem like a weakness, but I think having a super strong group of forwards and dmen is more likely enough to win a cup. Colorado didn't even have Kuemper through crucial parts of their playoff run. Plenty of teams find success without having a Vasilevsky in net.

The days of goalies being the dominant or most important player are kind of over. Look at Vegas this year. They had five different goalies and it was their 3rd goalie that got them to the promised land due to injuries to their top 2. All I mean by this is why pay ANY goalie 8-10 million dollars when they can lose to an Adin Hill? 

Edited by RizzMB30

8 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

And you dont happen to think that some of that was a result from who was playing in front of him?

The Jets won 46 games this year. It’s not like they were some terrible team. 

Anyway, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Trading for Hellebuyck would be the wrong move for the Devils at this juncture, imo. Luckily I think Fitz agrees. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

I definitely make this deal for Toffoli 100 times out of 100…

but being that Toffoli asked for a trade, I think Calgary did OK here, in getting some kind of return.  They get a younger player under team control who might be able to turn things around and shouldn’t cost too much in AAV…this is one of those deals that looks like an immediate win for the Devils, but if Sharangovich pulls it together and is cost-effective, it becomes a “Hey, didn’t turn out half-bad for the Flames.”  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Saying Schmid is an unknown makes me think you haven't seen him play much. He was horrible in his time prior to acquiring Vanecek and showed some pretty amazing progress this year. Sure, he's a not a 'known' so to speak, but a young goalie performance in the playoffs like his should be rewarded with ice time. Stole the job from the starter and was the goto guy for the rest of the playoffs basically. I'm not saying this makes him 'known', but barring a wild regression, I don't get calling him an unknown. He's definitely not unknown after how he played in playoffs, even around the league.  

Vanecek is going to be fine. When he did get into some games before we were eliminated, he posted a .909 in game 1 before Lindy yanked him because the team in front was frankly playing like sh!t. We lost 1-5 and Schmid wasn't super great in relief. 

Some of the poor numbers were due to the team getting thoroughly outplayed in most situations in games lost. High scorings games hurt Vanny's numbers too. However, Vanecek has improved every year that he's been in the league and in the prime of his career (age 25-32 for goalies). He has steadily improved his High-Danger scoring chance save percentage has gotten better every year that he's been in the league as well. 

goaltending and it's depth can be viewed as the weakness, but that's comparing it to how strong this forward and defense group coming in is. So compared to our forwards and d corps, yes it can seem like a weakness, but I think having a super strong group of forwards and dmen is more likely enough to win a cup. Colorado didn't even have Kuemper through crucial parts of their playoff run. Plenty of teams find success without having a Vasilevsky in net.

The days of goalies being the dominant or most important player are kind of over. Look at Vegas this year. They had five different goalies and it was their 3rd goalie that got them to the promised land due to injuries to their top 2. All I mean by this is why pay ANY goalie 8-10 million dollars when they can lose to an Adin Hill? 

I got to be honest, im not reading all of this, but it’s a small sample size when it comes to schmid bro. Im not sh!tting on the guy, what he came in and did against the rangers we couldn’t ask for more. However, i feel like we dont know exactly what hes going to be yet. Im not banking on him to be the end all be all.. maybe banking is the wrong word, i have a lot of faith in him.. but im not sold. VV is not going to be the guy were looking for, i like him too but i do believe he isn’t the answer.

You trade for CH when your window is closing, NOT opening. This league, has proven you don't need the leagues  best goaltender to win the Stanley cup. And for once in a long time this team has solid play in that net. 

Edited by Muevelos
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

You trade for CH when your window is closing, NOT opening. This league, has proven you don't need tje leagues  best goaltender to win the Stanley cup. And for once in a long time this team has solid play in that net. 

I hope you’re right, but i think if you can move VV the other way to acquire him hes an absolute power house of an upgrade

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

Skim over books lol

4 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I hope you’re right, but i think if you can move VV the other way to acquire him hes an absolute power house of an upgrade

We had Marty Brodeur and thought Cory Schneider would be the next franchise goalie and spent good draft capital to get him. Case closed. 

I think Muevelos is right. I think both Schmid and Vanecek have earned their right to get another go at it. Like I said, if they both start to falter next season, (especially at the beginning) then I could be convinced.

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

In case you need a highlights video to get hyped. A real goal scorer's goal on Vanecek in the second clip there - creates the screen and then off the post and in. I know a lot of people have him penciled in on the third line, but imagine what he could do on Jack's wing. 

10 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

We had Marty Brodeur and thought Cory Schneider would be the next franchise goalie and spent good draft capital to get him. Case closed. 

I think Muevelos is right. I think both Schmid and Vanecek have earned their right to get another go at it. Like I said, if they both start to falter next season, (especially at the beginning) then I could be convinced.

I think we could all agree there was never going to be another brodeur, after Schneiders injury he was toast. Saddest part, he wasnt a bad goalie but we wasted the most prime part of his career. I like schmid, im hopeful but im not ready to hand him the reigns with confidence. Im in the camp of not wanting to waste any more prime years of any of our stars and were lucky to be able to think that way. The window of tossing away seasons is over.. if there’s a reasonable option to go get a star goalie you go get him. 

A lot of Boston fans were against Ullmark too and thats where i leave this be. 

Edited by 2ELIAS6
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Some of the poor numbers were due to the team getting thoroughly outplayed in most situations in games lost. High scorings games hurt Vanny's numbers too. However, Vanecek has improved every year that he's been in the league and in the prime of his career (age 25-32 for goalies). He has steadily improved his High-Danger scoring chance save percentage (HDscSV%) and has improved this stat every year that he's been in the league as well. 

(I read all this sh*t.  Made notes and a power point presentation too.  Problem publishing that so I wouldn't look forward too it.   Nice illustrations tho.  Bridget Fonda at 25, yes)

As to the "known" vs "unknown", I think it's fair to have to take into account the fact that at least the older fans here lived and rooted through the Brodeur era.  BC of this, of course, real trust in a different goaltender will be difficult.  Schmid had some great games, but he also looked stiff to me.  IDK.  We should all consider the context.  The Devils definitely got outplayed, and did not put up a good front.  These are not the guys tho...

Yes, let's sign Taffoli and Meier and our forward group is sick. If our D matures, maybe we can do it without a goalie upgrade, but the goalie sitch would give me an upset stomach, and possibly the stress sh*ts.  

• Haha 3