2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

59 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

This guy looks like he's ready to sell you an overpriced rug. He's going to break Gretzky's goal record. Let that stew for a minute or two. I love hockey.

I was thinking more like a fake Rolex. Either one fits. 

55 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was thinking more like a fake Rolex. Either one fits. 

Looking at the photo again, he sort of looks like a university dean I knew when I was in school, although that gentleman still had all his teeth and was better groomed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They’d say, “Hey, I think I just saw the guy from Happy Gilmore…ya know, the guy who had the nail in his head!  But I thought that guy passed away…”

Yeah this one wins lmfao.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lmao off course the loser Islanders couldn’t finish off the Flyers in regulation with less than 10 seconds on the clock.  So now this is a three point game, because with the Isles involved, of course it is.

Not that the Devils deserve ANY help or that I think they’ll actually make a run…more that the Islanders and their collection of loser points are one of the most annoying teams in recent memory.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lmao off course the loser Islanders couldn’t finish off the Flyers in regulation with less than 10 seconds on the clock.  So now this is a three point game, because with the Isles involved, of course it is.

Not that the Devils deserve ANY help or that I think they’ll actually make a run…more that the Islanders and their collection of loser points are one of the most annoying teams in recent memory.

If there were any justice in the world, the loser points would accumulate in the same way as Tetris blocks, eventually eliminating a team with too many of them.

Just now, Nicomo said:

I’m sure most people don’t give a sh!t at the end of the day, but Timo not even getting an honorable mention is beyond ridiculous. 

Unbelievable.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I was watching the Lightning game and they were tied to too and the announcer said there was one minute left in the Islanders game with them leading 3-2 so I just kind of figured it was in the bag, but shame on me because I should have known that could never be the case with the Islanders. 

So for the first time in a while tonight went about as bad as possibly could for the Devils, as the Wings, Pens, and Isles all win, and Flyers get a point too.

I never want us to lose, but that puts us a lot closer to being mathematically eliminated by this weekend, perhaps even by Thursday if we lose both the next two games. 

• Like 1

Red Wings win, Pens win, Isles win, Flyers get a loser point…oh well, not like the Devils could expect to keep getting so much help while not doing nearly enough themselves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I was watching the Lightning game and they were tied to too and the announcer said there was one minute left in the Islanders game with them leading 3-2 so I just kind of figured it was in the bag, but shame on me because I should have known that could never be the case with the Islanders. 

So for the first time in a while tonight went about as bad as possibly could for the Devils, as the Wings, Pens, and Isles all win, and Flyers get a point too.

I never want us to lose, but that puts us a lot closer to being mathematically eliminated by this weekend, perhaps even by Thursday if we lose both the next two games. 

Yeah basically Devils gotta win out now, which we know ain’t happenin.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Which is probably for the best.  I’d rather know the Devils aren’t making the playoffs ahead of time as opposed to watching them be eliminated the final game of the season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

According to ESPN, the Devils’ tragic number entering this evening’s action was 10.  It’s only a matter of time.

It’s still 10 as of this morning, but the Devils are now behind the Penguins in the standings.  Make it stop.

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Guy is so easy to rattle. Timo lived rent free in his head for the entire 1st round of the playoffs last year. 

Love it. Hopefully whoever they draw in the first round is taking notes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It’s still 10 as of this morning, but the Devils are now behind the Penguins in the standings.  Make it stop.

I'd say keep it going. This team clearly isn't going to the playoffs, but even if they did, it's a quick 1st round bounce with Travis Green likely back as HC next year. Do we want that? Houdini for Celebrini. 

4 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I'd say keep it going. This team clearly isn't going to the playoffs, but even if they did, it's a quick 1st round bounce with Travis Green likely back as HC next year. Do we want that? Houdini for Celebrini. 

I meant make it stop as in “stop the misery.”  I don’t believe the Devils can make the postseason, and I don’t want to entertain any scenario in which Green returns, as that will mean another season like this one, which the team can’t afford.

Overall Torts has done a solid job with the Flyers; he's probably coaxed as much out of them as any coach could this year, and let's face it, goaltending has been killing them for a while now.  But I think what hurts his longevity at times is that he goes to the "rip everyone" well a LOT...enough that it's gotta lose its effectiveness more quickly than it otherwise might.  And probably doesn't help a team pull out of what's been a prolonged tailspin for a while now:

Flyers' John Tortorella Sounds Off At Team After 3-2 OT Loss; Press Conference Cut Short (msn.com)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Overall Torts has done a solid job with the Flyers; he's probably coaxed as much out of them as any coach could this year, and let's face it, goaltending has been killing them for a while now.  But I think what hurts his longevity at times is that he goes to the "rip everyone" well a LOT...enough that it's gotta lose its effectiveness more quickly than it otherwise might.  And probably doesn't help a team pull out of what's been a prolonged tailspin for a while now:

Flyers' John Tortorella Sounds Off At Team After 3-2 OT Loss; Press Conference Cut Short (msn.com)

Yeah, the Flyers just aren’t that good, and although I understand that he’s trying to motivate them, there are only so many ways one can say “play harder” before the message gets lost amidst all the other noise of a hockey season.

At this point it's better to scoreboard watch for draft lottery purposes instead of playoffs... I think best case scenario the Devils can climb (fall?) their way to 8th. Buffalo won last night (good) but Calgary lost (bad).

Tonight's rooting interest(s): Go Kraken.

image.png.14ba33cb8f0f60cee41b0a7d37a00fcb.png

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 1