2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

wrong Thread

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Could see the Devils doing something similar next year if they don't renew with MSG or end up on another channel... 

fvcking love it. Every team should go direct to consumer platforms. I heard that the Phoenix Suns were doing something like this too, but they did it with local TV and they were offering to send people antennas to watch locally. 

• Like 1

I was listening to this past Friday’s 32 Thoughts where they were discussing how Steven Stamkos is disappointed that the Lighting haven’t really reached out to get an extension in place for his deal that expires next summer.   They were saying how Brisbois is pretty cut-throat with this kind of stuff and that Stammer will be 33 next summer.  

Im fascinated to see what the Lightning do here.  On one hand, Stamkos is the guy who made this whole run possible.   He’s been their captain through a great period of hockey and he was the first guys who took less to make sure this group was in the best position to contend and then became the cap limit for all sorts of team friendly deal the Lightning signed afterward.  On the other hand, I come away every playoff shocked to find out that Stamkos is still a PPG player because he’s never more than their 5th or 6th forward in the playoffs.  I only really watch other teams with any level of consistency once they are making decent runs in the playoffs and to me he’s always the anti-Palat.  I’m not even sure he played the one year they won the cup.   

I'm curious to see what they do here because I’ve been thinking they would have been better off moving him and locking up 2 or 3 of their middle six guys that they keep losing for at least the last two offseasons.  

I think roster wise, losing Stamkos in favor of cap space and depth is the right move but what’s everyone else’s opinion?   When you achieve the level of success the Lightning have under his watch, do you have to just suck it up and give him the 5 extension where you’re paying more for past performance or is it okay to be ruthless and let Stamkos go because you feel like the rest of Vas, Hedman, Point, Kuch, Cernak, etc are young enough that they can still have another legitimate shot at a cup with a proper re-tool that include getting assets or cap relief from stamkos?  

I think Stamkos is in a weird position where he has to convince TB that he really wants to stay. If I am TB I am aggressively staying away from a 35+ contract. I mean you could offer him 5-6 years, but what about 2 or 3 years on a deal with full NMC and if you're still playing top 6 time after that contract, we'll talk about another 2-3 year deal. 

TB and Brisebois really should have laid something like that out for him this summer as a plan/blueprint/framework for him to fit him under the cap and be a part of the contending years there. I think Stammer would have appreciated them making that effort instead of blueballing/ghosting him. It screams that Brisebois is either ill-prepared for the years ahead or losing Stammer doesn't worry him all that much because it's extra cap space for him to do what he wants with. 

It would be kind of funny if Stammer ends up bolting to Toronto on a team friendly deal and makes a run at the cup with them after this. 

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

RIP Jackets power play. 

Severson in July: "Sweet, I'll have some decent numbers with Johnny Hockey, especially on the power play."

Severson, yesterday: "Oh you have got to be fvcking kidding me...."

Thanks, CBJ, for still trying to force the narrative of a good player is automatically a good coach. Jarmo really whiffing this offseason, and I'm all for it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Severson in July: "Sweet, I'll have some decent numbers with Johnny Hockey, especially on the power play."

Severson, yesterday: "Oh you have got to be fvcking kidding me...."

Thanks, CBJ, for still trying to force the narrative of a good player is automatically a good coach. Jarmo really whiffing this offseason, and I'm all for it

Recchi's power play was a failure in Pittsburgh and it was a failure in NJ.  So what exactly is going to be different this time?  Why is this guy getting another chance?

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Good luck in retirement to the guy who was the second best goalie in franchise history for a little bit. He was a hell of a goaltender before the injuries piled up

Nice to hear him say some good words about New Jersey and the Devils.  His first three seasons really were very good...but sadly once he turned 30 he just was never the same.  He had a six-year stretch where he put up a 89.3 GSAA, in 240 games...not bad.

Best of luck to him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Sabres might have gotten another gem in Benson. Kid looks like he's going to impress like Mercer did.

He's looking like he's going to make the team and maybe even push for a top 6 spot alongside Cozens or Thompson. Made a slick pass to Skinner behind the back and Skinner blasted one home on a one-timer PPG. 

The Sabres are set to have the season we had last year. If Levi is ready to take 40-50 starts and post a .930+ save percentage through those games. Look out. 

I read a headline that said that they are pairing Dahlin and newcomer Connor Clifton as a top pairing. He's like Colin Miller, but hittier. It's the kind of free agent addition that doesn't scream anything crazy on paper, but can't wait to see. 

Edited by RizzMB30